“Magic!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #16 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Look, - I'm biased - it was my daughter's wedding and it would have been great if we had gone to the local "fish n chips". I was cynical about going to a so-called "5-star" hotel. My wife and I have stayed in many of them and are usually a bit underwhelmed by the arrogance and poor service.
This hotel is very different!
From the beginning they were fantastic! The wedding day organiser was Niall, who was attentive, courteous and absolutely geared to making the day very special. There was a food-tasting session involving our new in-laws and the bride and groom. The food choices were explained to us by focused staff and the quality exceeded our expectations.
For main course we opted for a choice of fillet steak (done to your taste) and monk-fish.
On the day, everyone got exactly what they requested - blue, rare, medium or well done! I have only experienced this quality of service in the very best restaurants and NEVER at a wedding dinner! Then things went even more exceptional when extra portions of fillet steak and monk-fish were offered to all, - irrespective of what they had initially ordered on the day. Think about that!.
My daughter and her partner availed of all kinds of extras including massage and hydrotherapy pool, which were described as "fantastic".
Most of the immediate families went for a walk the next day into Muckross Park and this is literally just across the road (50 meters from Reception!). I am fairly biased here also! Muckross Park is just about top of the ultimate bucket-list if you are from Ireland or, seriously, if you are from abroad, you are nuts if you do not treat yourself to some of the most beautiful scenery on the planet!
Magic, Magic Hotel experience.

Room Tip: Don't worry about it! All the rooms are great and I've seen about 5 of them including one...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Bernard C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Youghal, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I couldn't rate Muckross Park Hotel higher. I had an amazing stay here. Room was beautiful, dinner in the restaurant outstanding & the staff a credit to the hotel. Breakfast was fantastic. I didn't get to try the spa but I will return for that extra pleasure.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Co Clare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

My first time at this hotel, staying in a standard room, and overall it was good. The Spa was very relaxing, offering an extremely professional service in an inviting atmosphere; the Yew tree restaurant is superb - good service, very good food, nice ambiance.... 'elegant' might be the word I'm looking for. The adjacent 'pub' - good spot for a sandwich, a pint, a nice coffee - good bar staff. So...why not 5 stars you're asking? - because of the sleep quality. Bed was hard/uncomfortable, but also the noise from people singing somewhere on the ground floor of the hotel at 4am or shouting in corridors (the blight of many a good hotel.... drunk wedding guests). Breakfast was also excellent with a fantastic range of food on offer. The duty manager, Joanne (I think), did speak with us at check-out - compensation isn't the issue, but affecting how your guests sleep is something the hotel absolutely can do something about. BUT... I will return to this hotel and give them a chance to collect that missing star.

Room Tip: Rooms facing onto the main road suffer from traffic noise - not bad, but it's there.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MDH_CoClare
SeanODriscoll, Guest Relations Manager at Muckross Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to send us in your feedback and for contacting me with regards your feedback also.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time in the hotel and of your wonderful feedback regarding our staff and the service that they provided.

With that I am disappointed to hear that what had been a positive experience be interrupted by the noise you experienced on the night in question. I can assure you every care is taken when we do have a function to separate our leisure guests from our guests attending the specific functions so that no disturbance is caused. The night porters had reported extra disturbance on the night mentioned and did attempt to control the noise and the areas in which it was caused.

Thank you very much once again for bringing this matter to our attention and for deciding to stay with us again in the future, I will look forward to welcoming you back and I am sure you will have a relaxing and comfortable stay with us.

Many Kind Regards

Danny McClure
Guest Relations Manager
Muckross Park Hotel
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

This hotel has so much going for it, amazing location, very clean, rooms are lovely, very friendly staff, spa on site. However, if you wish to truly have a relaxing time away do not stay here the same night as a wedding as you will not sleep until after 2/2.30am. I recently spent an almost sleepless night frustrated at the feeling of a band being next door. I feel more tired and a lot less relaxed after my stay because of this. If I wanted to spend a night at a house party I would have chosen a different location. Just enquire before you book.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

The room was very old fashioned and in need of an update. This hotel is not of a five star standard in my opinion. There is a lack of gardens and the meal in the restaurant was not of a good standard. We would not recommend it as a hotel that you must stay in.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank BByrne11
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We loved every minute of our stay. From the minute we walked into the hotel the staff (especially Akos and Teddy) made us feel so welcome. They helped us book tours, gave us great touring advice and made us feel very special the entire time we were there. We even stayed at a more "exclusive" and costly hotel after staying at the Muckross and my husband and I both agreed that the quality of service and the hotel did not compare. The grounds are beautiful and you will be directly across from the Killarney park.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Katlai12
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

I spent 3 nights at the Muckross Park Hotel with my 16 year old daughter in a superior twin room. Absolutely everything about our stay was positive. When we arrived, check-in was very quick and efficient and the staff were very welcoming. We were shown to our room, which was very big, tastefully decorated, spotlessly clean and had everything you could need in a hotel room. In addition, a complementary bottle of wine and box of chocolates were there for us, a very nice touch! Although an evening meal in the Yew Tree restaurant was included in our three night package, my daughter and I preferred to eat in Molly Darcy's bar (the menu was more to the taste of a teenager!). The cost of our meal in the Yew Tree (€90) was credited to our room and covered both the meal in the bar and room service on another evening. The food was excellent on both occasions! One of the highlights of our stay was an afternoon in the spa, which was truly wonderful! It was my daughters first experience of a spa and she thought she was in heaven. The two therapists who gave us our facials were really excellent and did everything to make us feel relaxed and pampered. The only minor hiccup was that when we came out after our facials to have the sorbet (which was gorgeous) there was only one relaxation bed free, as they can be used by anyone using the pool area. It might be an idea to have a separate relaxation area reserved for guests having treatments. Having to share the bed meant we could only sit and not lie back. Like I said though, this was a minor point which didn't impact on our enjoyment of the day. Overall, the atmosphere in the hotel was very relaxed, the staff the most welcoming and helpful I have ever experienced in any hotel, and the food and service excellent. My daughter and I had a wonderful few days in Killarney. One last note, please try the French toast at breakfast, it's delicious!

Room Tip: The upgrade to a superior room was worth it for all the little extra touches.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family