“Best Spa”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and Spa. Breakfast was lovely, service was great, concierges were friendly & very helpful. Spa was the complete highlight. We stayed in a superior room which was very spacious and bathroom was very modern and nice, however the bed was not very comfortable (two singles pushed together). I would recommend this hotel based purely on the spa.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,620)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

My wonderful Mum booked this hotel after attending my first cousin's wedding there in Dec 2013, we fell in love with the hotel. As the wedding was amazing we decided against using the spa facilities and said we would when we would return for my 40th birthday! From the moment of arrival, a wonderful man Ted, the Concierge, was by the car door (trying to carry luggage for three women meant for one night!!), nothing was a problem, from offering to take photos to mark the occasion to being at the bottom of the lift when we arrived down for dinner in the evening, with a glass of champagne, I really felt special. A lovely touch on arrival in the room was a bottle of wine chilled with chocolates. We all had treatments, I would highly recommend the Prescriptive Facial as a treat with Michelle she was amazing and not a bit rushed. One tip though to be careful of in the pool, its fab and warm but.. i bashed my big toe a few times there are too many steps in the pool, it is not a pool for swimming a length, it is definitely built as a leisure pool. lovely meal in the bar that evening, must mention Christopher in the bar, an exceptional member of staff. We were offered a late check out up to 1pm as it was mid week, Duty Manager kept asking us were we OK for everything, all in all a superb stay. Stay here you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Found the room very warm but my Mum loved that, room 126 was perfect as a triple room for three frie...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 28, 2014

On many occasion over the years Both my wife and I stopped for a cuppa, but last week end my sons and daughter gave us a present of a week end at the Muckross Park Hotel & Cloister Spa, for my 70th birthday, and on arrival there was a most welcome reception, ie, hot towels on arrival which was most welcome after our two hour journey there, in no time we allocated our room and there was chocolates and a congrats letter on my birthday there waiting for me.
Must say the staff in general was excellent so also the food, their Cloisters Spa was just what the doctor ordered and also other attractions to cater for all needs, that week end was packed and those there seem to really enjoy themselves, thank you Mucksoss Park Hotel.

1  Thank Frank O
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed here over the festive period for a wedding and enjoyed our stay. Four of us were booked into a two bedroom apartment just a few meters from the hotel for an excellent rate.The rooms were comfortable and the living area was very plush.

The hotel is nice, although personally I think the Disney tower at the front of the hotel is a bit much! Staff were really accommodating and the spa looked decent. The bar was very nice, but by far the greatest plus for the hotel is the location.

Located right in the middle of Killarney National Park with Muckross House, the national park, Torc Mountain and waterfall all within a few minutes. Any time of year this place is pretty spectacular so I'd definitely recommend it for that.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Just back from staying at this first rate hotel. The spa area is beautiful and very relaxing with outdoor hot tub beside the river the highlight! Really excellent service even when one or two things went pear shaped the service more than made up for it with fantastic recovery and courtesy! Had a puncture locally on the Ring of Kerry from a massive Kerry Council pothole ! The desk staff at reception were more than sympathetic and also recommended a first rate local garage which did more than enough to fix the problem :) Food in Molly Darcys was first rate and the atmosphere fantastic especially when the England Ireland Rugby match was on ! Lovely range of foods and vegetarian options excellent (though the FULL vegy menu in the lift is a little misleading when you go to the Yew Tree only ONE choice is available) still and all the meal we had in the dining room was first rate though the wines are overpriced and not so great......
Breakfast was excellent with great range of selections and top marks for the excellent afternoon cream teas beside the fire in the Monks Bar ! All in all really excellent place to stay ! Thanks to all the lovely staff :)

Room Tip: ask for deluxe !
Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 3 nights. Bnb and 2 dinners. The hotel is unique in structure, it's design is of a manor house but contemporary to the outside. It's set in the lovely national park. The staff were fantastic and made us feel welcome from first stepping in that door.
There was a real sense of a personal touch. The hotel room was a superior room, so it was spacious, clean, nice view out back. Complimentary water, which I would expect from a 5 star. The tv I found strange, it was an old big box tv, would have expected a flat screen tv, but it worked perfectly well so can't complain about that.
Breakfast was lovely, served until 1030 so we could get a lie in. Big selection from buffet, and could order omlette, porridge, fish etc. Nice touch as it adds a high standard to breakfast.
Dinner menu had a decent selection, tastefully presented and again the staff very knowledgeable and willing to help and offer advice on choice.

Special mention to the concierge team. Very helpful, informative and personal.

Recommended overall. We got a great deal by calling them directly, I wouldn't pay other 5 star prices for it, but I did leave extremely happy, relaxed and what more can you ask from a break away to the west.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David D
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I will premise this review with the fact that I'm an architect so I may be more acute to certain things than others.

Firstly, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay but this hotel has puzzled me. In parts it's a 5 star, at other parts it lets itself down. The 5 star parts:
1. Beautiful cloister spa with outdoor hot tub.
2. The yew tree restaurant - beautiful 4 course meal for 45€ pp
3. Live music in the Monks bar on Friday and Saturday
4. The concierge service. Both gentleman are exceptional at their jobs.
5. Great 'buffet' and 'served from kitchen' breakfast open until 10.30 am
6. Large superior room with queen size bed
7. The impeccable service overall - especially maître D at breakfast and dinner time

The non 5 star parts:
1. The design of this hotel could be described as pseudo or mock architecture. This relatively new hotel is trying to look old. Look deeper and you will see the flaws- the fires are not the roaring fires that you would expect but rather gas/electric, the bedroom furniture is not in keeping with the lavish quality curtains, the television in the room is a budget option and not in keeping with the 5 star standard and the tower at the entrance can only be described as something from Disneyland!
2 The hotel could do with a few touch ups- the wallpaper in the yew tree restaurants could do with some maintenance, some pictures need to be aligned correctly with the walls and some furniture is just not in keeping( leather couches in the monks bar and couches on the landings on the first and second floor)
3. Molly Darcy's bar which is attached to the hotel is just not my cup of tea, again (a take on a traditional Irish pub). However the food was very good but would have liked this food option in the hotel also.

Would I pay more than 275e b&b pp for 3 nights? No but this hotel is worth a stay at this price point. The staff and spa make this hotel what it is and would recommend it based on this.

1  Thank SMurphyDublin