“Fantastic Hotel.”

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed September 18, 2013

From the moment we arrived we had nothing but good experiences at this hotel. All the staff were extremely attentive, helpful and very friendly; the room was large with everything you could need; food and entertainment in the bar next door was very good; spa was lovely and the location was great.
Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and we were really well looked after. Really cannot fault this hotel and would certainly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We had a deluxe double room on the second floor which was great.
1  Thank Gardeners2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,620)

Reviewed September 16, 2013

After driving all day we arrived in Killarney but our GPS sent us to the middle of town. This is NOT the location of the Muckross Hotel it sent us to the Ross hotel so just beware. The people are very friendly and I asked a taxi driver (#16232) who actually drive scout for us and pointed out the hotel to us on his way out of town. The location of the property is a bit out of town and once you know super easy to get to town. Also it has access to the National Park which is literally across the street. You can get bikes from the hotel and ride to Ross Castle and to a great looking Manor House also about 2 miles past the House is a beautiful waterfall that you can ride up to. The ride is easy and mostly flat.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank BoSeattle
Reviewed September 12, 2013

After an overbooking error, we enjoyed two lovely nights in this beautiful hotel. We were treated to upgraded rooms, a rate reduction and an evening dinner in the Yew Tree restaurant, which was superb. This location was a great base for seeing the Ring of Kerry, Killarney Nat'l Park and the Skellig experience. Be sure to have the staff arrange a tour of the park via horse-drawn jaunting cart. The spa itself was pretty, but the water temps in the pool and spa were too cool to be enjoyable (in our opinions), We, too, noticed the some physical flaws at the facility, like loose/missing tiles, and an in-room key card mechanism that kept blowing a circuit breaker and turning off our lights . That was finally remedied by the second day. However, our spa treatments were one of the highlights of our 12 day trip. They feature special deals which are reasonably priced and can be booked within 48 hours. The hotel and spa staff went out of their way to be helpful and accommodating, turning a disappointing beginning into a wonderful stay the following two days. We also ate Molly Darcy's and thoroughly enjoyed our traditional Irish meals. A great place to stay when visiting county Kerry.

Room Tip: Be sure you verify your room reservations at least a month before your trip to avoid an overbooking...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank DebbieB997
SeanODriscoll, General Manager at Muckross Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on trip advisor. I am delighted to read you had a wonderful stay with us and the spa treatments were a highlight.

I note your feedback regarding the spa. Our pool is at a temperature of 32 degrees and our hot tub is 36 degrees and this is monitored on our computer system constantly. As I explained in previous reviews, we are very anxious to replace the few ties that have become loose at the base of the pool, but to do this we need to empty the pool, which would mean closing the spa for 4 days. We do not want to do this in our busy season, as we know it would disappoint many guests, but we do have the work scheduled over the winter. I am delighted to read your spa treatments were a highlight of your trip.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Best Wishes,

Sean O'Driscoll

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Stayed a few nights to give me time to drive around the Ring of Kerry and was so glad that I booked into this hotel. The room was well appointed and very comfortable with everything you need at hand, no need to chase anything here. We stayed in early September and enjoyed the pool and spa, really worth taking the time for a swim as it is a great pool layout with excellent spa facility throughout. The adjacent hotel - Molly Darcy's - and had a great time as there was a football final on and 'Mike' took the time to explain the intricacies of Gaelic football through a very exciting match, as well as ensuring we enjoyed a great meal. I was also appreciative of the assistance with my luggage by the concierge.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fiona H
Reviewed September 11, 2013

My partner and I recently spent a night at the hotel. The staff were friendly, warm & welcoming which was lovely. The room was great with a stunning four poster bed as well as a beautiful view too. Good, spacious bathroom with his & her sinks, separate shower and bath, as well as luxury toiletries. At the time of making the booking the Stay for 1 night Dinner option was available online, however I decided to call the hotel to see what menu that included only to be informed that the rate wasn't available on a Monday night, yet it was clearly bookable. This was disappointing however it didn't change our minds on where we had already decided to stay. The reason for my rating is mainly down to the Rate/room options being very contradictory from online to telephonic, as well as a lack of understanding from the person making the booking as to why this was the case. Second reason would have to be the Spa. The temperature of the pool, the jacuzzi and the hot bath all need an adjustment. I thought it was me at first, but my partner felt the same and I can understand now why there were so few people using the facility. I would have liked to have spent more time enjoying the spa. The sauna was the best for me however again the bottom of the door doesn't close properly. Very disappointed to see the steam room was out of use. I know if you don't book direct through hotel you have to pay a fee to use the spa - if this was the case I would not be paying the fee. Also lacks a bit of attention to detail - missing tiles, etc perhaps some light refreshments and snacks, like other 4 & 5 star hotels/resorts I've stayed in would be a welcome change!

Room Tip: Four Poster Bed overlooking river.
1  Thank LoveTravelVentures

Dear Past Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip advisor. I am delighted to read you found our team to be warm & friendly and that you enjoyed our accommodation.

I note your comments regarding the spa. Our pool temperature is 32 degrees and our hot tub is 36 degrees. We have a computer system to monitor our temperatures and there is nothing to indicate a drop over the last month. I apologise that the steam room was closed, we are doing some repair work here currently. As I outlined in previous reviews we fully intend to replace the loose tiles on the base of the pool as soon as the season quietens, as we have to empty the pool to do this and we do not want to disrupt guests. I assure you that our maintenance team work to get any issues that occur in our spa addressed as quickly as possible.

We do serve light refreshments to all guests availing of spa treatments in the spa. As you also pointed out, all guests who book directly with the hotel get complimentary access to the Vitality Suite at Cloisters Spa.

I thank you again for highlighting these issues and assure you we will work on addressing them.

Kind Regards,

Sean O'Driscoll

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Everything about the hotel was great. Very friendly staff, great service and the availability of the bikes for us to cycle around Killarney National Park was a real bonus. The breakfast was superb with the scones being a particular favourite. The Lemon Curd jam was delicious. Our room was lovely with scenic mountain views and the hot tub so relaxing. We watched a heron with its long slender neck duck and dive in the little stream alongside the hot tub. A truly wonderful place to relax and unwind. Thanks to all for making our stay special. Its nice to see such a friendly atmosphere and we will be back. Shane and James were particularly friendly and helpful.

1  Thank Patricia C
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just back from a spa break in muck ross park hotel. From the minute myself and friend walked into the reception it was complete 5star treatment. Every staff member made us feel like we were the most important guests staying with them from nyree personally showing us to our gorgeous room, after Regina checked us in. Nothing was too much trouble. Our meal in the yew tree restaurant was unbelievable, again staff superb. Breakfast was one of tastiest we've had in a hotel (had two servings of freshly made pancakes!!) I got treatments in the fabulous spa from Colette (highly recommend her! Lovely person, great massage) Regina couldn't do enough for us either. I would recommend staying in this hotel and am looking forward to organising another break ASAP!!! The staff should be very proud, brilliant, efficient service with a really genuine smile!
Thanks Jennifer c