“A little bit of Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles

Muckross Park Hotel & Spa
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
“A little bit of Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great experience here! My wife and I booked here for our honeymoon over Easter and could not have been more pleased with our choice. We were upgraded to a suite on arrival, which was gorgeous, big ,loads of room and spotlessly clean. All the staff were great, very friendly and helpful. We ate in Molly Darcys bar which is part of the hotel and we couldn't fault the food or service. Its a lovely pub. We dined there 2 nights and went out to restaurants in Killarney for the rest of our stay. We didn't find it too expensive, it was actually cheaper than some 4star hotels we priced!
We loved it here and will return!!

1 Thank KilkennyPaddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Very poor experience for a five star hotel. Staff were unhelpful, and not to be found much of the time. Our booking was messed up twice, and at one stage the hotel staff tried to convince me I was booked into a room with a total stranger, and later that I had not made a booking at all!
Rooms look shabby and tired. Our stay was a comedy of errors that would have seemed far fetched in an episode of Fawlty Towers, most of which revolved around the inability of staff to take on board requests from us.

Molly's Bar is nice and cosy though.

Room Tip: Its worth booking a family room over a double and paying extra - there seemed to be a huge differenc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Sure T
SeanODriscoll, Manager at Muckross Park Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us in Muckross Park Hotel. I regret that your stay was not in keeping with your expectation and our usual high standards. I have discussed your issues with my management team and have reviewed all the feedback received from guests during the month of March. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the issues you encountered and look forward to hearing from you.

Apollo Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is a lovely old hotel in beautiful Killarney. Great access to the National Park and minutes from downtown. We had just spent six nights at the Ritz Carlton Powerscourt and were expecting the same five star accommodations but were very disappointed. Once we checked into our room, we noticed that a curtain rod was laying on the floor with the sheers still attached a couple of the black out curtain rings were not even attached to the rod giving the entire window area a run down appearance. We had a bottle of wine and some Smithwicks beer we wanted to chill but the refrigerator was not working. Before dinner we called to report this and they said would fix everything the next day. We got up and had a wonderful breakfast from their buffet and went on a tour. When we returned, the refrigerator, beer and wine were sitting in the middle of the room. We were looking forward to a cold drink but that wasn't going to happen. Once again, reported and were told the repairman would be back the next day. Well, we were only there three nights and also the curtain rod still wasn't fixed. That being said, if we go back to Killarney someday, we will definitely stay somewhere else.....

Room Tip: Definitely choose to upgrade your room
1 Thank ChofuMT
Dear Mirabay,
I appreciate you taking the time involved in providing the above feedback following your stay with us in Muckross Park Hotel. I am delighted to hear you found us to be a lovely hotel, and yes we are uniquely located in Killarney National Park and just a stone’s throw away from Killarney Town Centre. I was disappointed to read about the maintenance issues you encountered on your stay. I can confirm these issues have now been resolved following a meeting with both my Accommodation and Facilities Managers. Having recently won Hotel of the Year from the Irish Accommodation Services Institute I was disappointed to hear of your issues with your room being cool. I would be delighted to discuss your experience further – please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

I booked 2 night here for my girlfriends birthday as a treat. I booked a deluxe double room and to be honest deluxe is not what it was. Although it was very clean it looked more 3 star than 5 star. The tv was about 10 years old one of those old big awkward looking things. I was expecting a plasma at least.
We were charged an extra 10 euros per person for the use of the spa. I thought this was a bit much as I had payed 398 euros for the room. The spa itself although very tranquil , there was lots of little things like missing tiles , I lay on one of the heated loungers and when I got up there was 3 tiles stuck to my back. The pool if you could call it that was more like a dipping pool was a bit to cold as was the jacuzzi and outdoor hot tub. Also all the treatments I felt were way over priced.
But I must say the staff couldn't be more helpful.
We ate at the pub that's attached to the hotel the first night and the food was excellent and quite reasonably priced. The pub itself has a great atmosphere. All in all it's a lovely hotel but I think it's overpriced.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Briamki
Dear Briamki,
Thank you for bringing the details following your stay with us to our attention. I was very disappointed to read that you were not entirely satisfied with your experience. Our award winning Cloisters Spa is quite a unique and relaxing experience, and I regret this was not the case for your visit. Here in Muckross Park Hotel we pride ourselves on providing top quality 5 Star experiences whilst ensuring value for money. We are continually working to improve the service and facilities we offer to our guests and I can confirm we have just signed off on delivery of new TV’s for our guest rooms along with continuous improvements to our Spa facilities. The Cloisters Spa has recently nominated Tatler Spa of the Year and our treatments list is on a par with other 5 star hotels and national prices, we are also constantly doing daily & weekly special offers on our treatments. Our relaxation pool, is not suitable for intensive swimming, it is regulated on a thermostat that keeps the temperature at 33 degrees whilst our outdoor hot tub is also controlled with a thermostat at 37 degrees.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience in Molly Darcy’s Traditional Irish Pub, we take great pride in the friendliness of our Staff and the service we deliver to our guests.
I would however be available should you wish to discuss your experience with me further.

cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Just back from a one night stay and spa, had a great time, lovely friendly staff and the spa was fantastic, we had the couples ritual which was amazing. We stayed in the belfri suite which was lovely big room. We had food in Molly darcys which was also nice. Lovely touch of bottled water for our journey home. Will definitely be back again

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank sass353
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I and our daughter and her Australian boyfriend have just returned from a five night break in Cork & Kerry. We spent one night in Muckross Park Hotel and it was our favourite hotel of the five we stayed in which included Adare Manor. The customer service is excellent and we were offered juice and home made cookies on arrival. The reception area is very ornate and beautifully decorated. In fact the decor throughout the whole hotel is fabalous and whoever is behind selecting the soft furnishings has excellent taste.

Our bedroom was so comfortable with a really large bed and all mod cons. The bathroom was huge. There was also a lovely selection of toileteries. We had a lovely view out of our bedroom window of a park area leading to a river with sun beds. It would have been lovely to sit there and enjoy the tranquility if the weather had been better.

We had a meal in Molly Darcy's which was excellent and the service was spot on. We loved the ambiance of the bar and it was a good sign to see it quite packed on a Wednesday night. Breakfast was excellent and the pastries and conserves were served beautifully. My daughter and I had pancakes which were excellent.

On departure we were given two bottles of water and sweets for the journey. It is the extra little touches like this and the excellent customer service that make this hotel so good. We will definitely be making a return trip as I feel this hotel is excellent value for money.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be excellent.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Connie5192
East Grinstead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Excellent welcome with glass of juice and biscuits at Reception. Extremely helpful and friendly staff at Reception. Our large room was beautifully decorated and had huge and very comfortable bed. Breakfast was a memorable experience with fantastic range and the hot items in the Full Irish Breakfast included black pudding & white pudding. Really enjoyed the nice little touches such as the breakfast pastries arriving at the table on an afternoon tea plate. Staff also very professional and polite in breakfast room.

1 Thank JohnEastGrinstead