“Good for a family break - not ideal for a romantic getaway!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes

Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
Ranked #33 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Dublin
“Good for a family break - not ideal for a romantic getaway!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is a very family friendly location. It seems to really cater for families with kids - which is a good thing!

My only complaint was that the service at the bar was very slow and that we had a long walk from our bedroom to the reception / bar area.

The room was clean, well maintained and the breakfast was fine. We ate from the "pub grub" menu and I have to say my steak was delicious!

The views from the breakfast room and bar are stunning.

You can't go wrong with staying here but be warned there are a lot of kids running about and it may not be the ideal, quiet location for a romantic get-away. We did stay here though in the middle of the school holidays.....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, August 4, 2010
Dear Janedub,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here in the Castlerosse, during the summer and school breaks we are very busy with families as you noticed! Outside of school holidays, it is generally quieter and perhaps more relaxing, we feel that the children add a great holiday atmosphere to the hotel during the school holidays.
I apologise for the slow service you found in the bar, the reason for this is that all our food is freshly prepared and cooked to order which makes it somewhat slower.
With regards the distance from your rooms to reception area, when the hotel was extended we could not raise it any higher (as we would obstruct the views of those around us) so to continue lengthways was our only option!
Once again, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us and we look forward to seeing you here again in the very near future,

Guest Relations

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Czech first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

Just back from a week in the Castlerosse Hotel and Golf Resort. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The value for money belies the top quality accommodation, location, dining and service. The general atmosphere is relaxed, efficient and attentive. The view from the hotel is breathtaking, and with leisure centre, spa, golf and playground there is something for adults and children alike.

Dear Denwar,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here with us in the Castlerosse, we are very privileged to be located in this stunning part of Killarney, and strive to provide a high level of service to ensure that our guests have the most enjoyable stay with us as possible,

We look forward to welcoming you and yours back to stay with us again very soon,

Triona Hickey,
Guest Relations.
Ennis, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed in the Cottages with my wife and 3 small children. We actually enjoyed our stay in Killarney but not because of the accomodation but more to do with the location. The cottages are in need of a serious revamp - loo handle in one of the bathrooms was broken, damp musty smell when entering the house, furniture and fittings in need of replacement , snail trail on the carpet.
The service in the Bar was slow and the food was basic and expensive.
When I got the bill there was a standard charge of €5 per day for electricity. We knew there was a cost but assumed it was based on usage - just another way of getting more money in my view. When I went in to pay the bill on leaving I was waiting to be asked how my stay was and was ready with my answer but the question was never even asked.

Dear Mr. Mc Mahon.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Castlerosse Woodland Cottages, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay in Killarney and am disappointed that you were unhappy with your accommodation here with us.

I apologise for the broken toilet handle, and am surprised that you found a musty smell in the cottage, these cottages are used very regularly during the year and are at full occupancy from mid May - September. The Cottages were refurbished in 2006.

Once again I apologise that you did not enjoy your time in our Cottages, and hope that this will not deter you from visiting Killarney again,

Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

Just back from two nights in the Castlerosse. The rooms from the dining room are truly amazing and the nearby Killarney National Park a great spot. All in all I will remember the hotel for the views, huge buffet full Irish breakfast and pretty basic hotel rooms (oh and the very long corridors). Much nicer hotels in Killarney but if you want a more country feel outside of the town centre this could be the spot for you.

Be warned there is very poor mobile phone reception in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
Dear Jackofeire,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us, and am sorry you were disappointed with your rooms. Interestingly, our hotel is 50 years old this year and when first built was a motel, which explains out long corridors! And also, when we expanded we had to go lengthways as we were not allowed build another story because of local planning laws. Our location by the Lake is the reason that mobile services are limited, and I apologise for this.

I hope to see you in the Castlerosse again in the very near future,

Killarney, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2010

We recently had our wedding reception at the Castlerosse (3rd July). We had the best day, everything was perfect. The food was fabulous, the Staff were most efficient and the view was spectacular. Their attention to detail & their expertise were excellent. Michael & Siobhan were on hand to make sure that everything went smoothly. Everyone was well taken care of and we could not have wished for a better day. The accommodation was comfortable and the hotel was spotless. I would definitely recommend The Castlerosse Hotel to anyone thinking about Killarney as a wedding destination. For a 3* hotel we definitely got 5* service.

• Stayed July 2010
Dear Mr & Mrs Mulligan,

Congratulations on your recent marriage! I am delighted that you had a great day and hope your honeymoon went just as well!

Siobhan and Michael are very attentive and do everything they can to make sure a bride and grooms special day goes smoothly, I am delighted that your day went as well as you hoped it would and we look forward to seeing you in the Castlerosse again very soon for your next special occasion!

Once again, congratulations!
Triona Hickey,
Limerick
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

Just stayed for a weekend at this hotel and I have mixed feelings. A wedding took place on Saturday, and in the Irish style the hotel space was taken up with wedding guests; consequently there was no quiet open space to sit. Also there was a steady stream of noisy revelers walking down the corridor outside my room, well into the morning. This type of wedding planning, while common, leaves little room or priority for guests uninvolved.

While the reception staff were very friendly and professional, the restaurant was very peculiar. I was staying with a group of 27 and we had a group dinner booked on Saturday evening. Strangely, the seating was arranged in tables of four! The piece de resistance, however, was that the waiting staff refused to take orders at my table because only three seats were occupied. I explained the irrationality of this policy to two waiters, i.e., we did not come in groups of four and that a fourth person might not arrive to join us for some time. Also, of course no fourth person might join us (27/4=?). One stocky male waiter pointedly refused to serve me, and a somewhat more pleasant female said that she would confer with the manager, who apparently relented. I find this behaviour absolutely amazing!!!!!!! As a mature Irishman, I have had plenty of experience of waiters ignoring me or strolling over in their own good time, but never have I been told; thou shalt not eat. The restaurant has magnificent views, mind you.

This hotel is also very clean and the rooms pleasant. One significant flaw in the bathroom was that the extractor fan was not on a separate switch, which meant taking a bath in a cold draft, or in the dark, plus the irritating noise. Are we not competent to manage our own ventilation?

Overall, mixed feelings. A lovely location, reasonable price and good front desk professionalism, but Fawlty Towers in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2010
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I apologise for the way the waiter treated you on the evening of your dinner, this is not the standard we expect from our staff, and the waiter in question has been spoken to about this incident.

I am glad that you generally enjoyed your stay here with us, with regards the wedding party we try to accommodate wedding guests in the rooms nearest the reception to prevent unnecessary disturbance to our other guests, however this is not always possible due to allocation/special requests or requirements, and I do apologise for the disturbance you suffered .

I do hope you will come and stay with us again in a future occasion,

Kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

Our stay was very pleasant. Staff were helpful and very friendly. Room was lovely and room service was excellent. Breakfast was very substantial and the bar food was lovely. Entertainment in lounge was a nice change and children were made very welcome. Kids club also a great option on rainy days. Restaurant meal was a relaxing experience and service was excellent.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
castlerosse, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, July 20, 2010
Dear Dorfarrelly,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review, it was with pleasure that I read it and am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much.

We look forward to having you and your family stay with us again in the near future,

Kind Regards