“Summer hols”

Ranked #31 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
County Monaghan, Ireland
“Summer hols”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

We stayed in the golf lodges on the hotel site - great size and perfect for family of 6 - massive 2 bedrooms full ensuite - we had full free use of hotel pool , good activities for children in evenings , staff excellent and friendly
Hired bikes and cycled into Killarney through the park so very safe as ur not on the road
Lovely grounds so a brilliant place
Kate's monaghan

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear Catherine,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at the Castlerosse. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. It is great to see that you packed so much in during your time here. It really is such an ideal and safe place for families and with bike hire available on site it is a bonus! I will pass on your kind words to the team.

We would love you welcome you back to the Castlerosse in the future.

Mark Bowe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Czech first
Plainsboro, New Jersey
Reviewed August 15, 2014

My nephew and I stayed at one of the onsite cottages. What a lovely way to spend 6 days in Killarney. The cottage was clean and we each were able to enjoy some alone time since there were two bedrooms. The staff is incredible, so helpful and pleasant. We ate at the restaurant and bar at the hotel for several breakfasts and dinners and the food was impeccable as well as the service. The entertainment is top notch as well. I would recommend the cottages for families traveling together since there is so much room you won't cramp anyone's space. The views of the Lakes and Mountains of Killarney from the hotel are just incredible. You can walk into town from the hotel it's only about half an hour walk along a lovely trail. I highly recommend the Castlerosse to anyone wanting to enjoy Killarney!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Donna,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at the Castlerosse. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time and enjoyed your break with us.
I will pass on your kind words to the team, we would love you welcome you back to the Castlerosse in the future.

Ireland
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Recently stayed in this hotel for 3 nights for a family function. Very nice hotel, beautiful views, lovely breakfast, very friendly, pleasant, polite staff and nice clean rooms. Showers are not great but other than that I would go back and stay here. They had good facilities for all ages in our group. Would recommend to friends.

Dear Kelly,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your kind words to the team.
We would love you welcome you back to the Castlerosse in the future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We arrived a day earlier and katheryn the receptionist helped us so much in finding a hotel to stay in with my sister and her two daughters,she rang alot of hotels to accomodate us,becuase almost whole whole of killarney was booked out.we enjoyed our weekend so much that we now will book it every year from now on.The kids were so happy with the swimming and the kids club,that they want to stay next year again and for ever they said,lol.Thanks again kateryn you will make a great hotel manager some day ,because you really do care about people. yours sincerally. Robert o'callaghan

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Dear Robert,
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay and that Kathryn was able to organise alternate accommodation when you arrived a day early. I have already passed on you kind words to Kathryn, it was very much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse again.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We are a family of 6 and just returned from a weeks holiday at the Castlerosse, this has been our second stay here in the past two years. We hired an onsite holiday house for a week at a very reasonable rate. As the house is on the hotel grounds this also entitled us to full use of the hotel facilities / leisure center and all it has to offer.
The Staff are very pleasant and friendly, also both the Hotel and the Holiday homes are immaculately spotlessly clean.
We will without a doubt be returning next year as there is nothing in comparison for us as a family of 6.
Thanks again for your hospitality and see you next year... The Cauldwells.

Room Tip: Families - Choose one of the onsite self catering houses. Very spacious and clean.
Dear Jason,
We are delighted you and your family enjoyed your stay with us again and that we are the "perfect family destination". I am also glad that you got to avail of the facilities that we have to offer, I also will pass on your kind words to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Castlerosse again next year.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2014

We have just returned from a one week stay at, one of the Golf Lodges at this hotel. We are a family of two adults, and two children aged 11 and six. Unfortunately our initial impressions of the hotel were not good. ! We booked this holiday back in late Feb, and at that point I asked to be upgraded to a lake view, at an extra cost of 50 Euro. I asked at that point that we would get an uninterrupted view for this extra, and was told that we would have a lake view! What we got was a lodge, with two huge trees in front of us......I personally thought this was miss-selling and immediately complained to reception. They told me they were fully booked and could not move us. My issue here is that , I rang the hotel at least four times since booking, to inform them that I had received nothing by either post or E-Mail to confirm my booking. Each time they took my E mail address...and then I got nothing. I was told at one point that they were updating their systems, but was told this next time also . I even rang last week before we arrived , to ensure our booking was ok. The point I am making is that Lodge 41 is definitely not a lakeview lodge and should not be sold as one. In fairness the asssitant manager did approach us at dinner time when we arrived to apologise, which I appreciated, but it was a bad start to what actually became a brilliant holiday.. Now to the the positives. The Lodges are very well appointed. There are two ensuite bedrooms, and a further bathroom downstairs. The kitchen was the best equipped we have come across, with washer/dryer, Fridge, microwave, oven, and good quality cutlery. The bed linen was excellent quality also. There is a little patio to the front with tables and chairs, which was nice to relax at, in the early evening. There is a TV in the main bedroom, and also in the living room. The hotel foyer was nice and airy, and there were lots of little areas equipped with comfy couches to relax on. We ate in the bar twice, and thought the food was good quality, at very fair prices, although the menu was very limited. The breakfast is excellent value for money at 6.50 for adults, and 3 euro for a child. The leisure centre was a great asset, and kids loved it. The facilities for families were brilliant, with a football pitch, a tennis court, and a playground......a childs heaven.The views over the lakes were stunning, and we walked into town, through the park, which takes about 20/25 mins with kids. My youngest little boy, loved the castle rangers club, which is free of charge(well done to all the girls there, they made Senans holiday). I would have to say that this hotel was very well appointed for our needs. The only negatives I have is not getting , the front row lodge as I had requested on booking nearly 6 months ago, and the WIFI is just awful! Again on booking I asked about WIFI for business purposes, and was told you could just get it in the main area of the hotel..... but even here it was slow, and sometimes not available. In this day and age, WIFI should be better, as a lot of people cannot just switch off from their jobs while on holiday. Overall I rated this holiday 4 stars, we all had a great time. It would have been given 5 stars....except for the mess up regarding our booking, and the WIFI issues.

2 Thank FeeFeeTT
Dear FeeFee,
Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us at the Castlerosse. I am delighted that we were able to turn the initial issues regarding your reservation into a positive holiday experience for all the family. It’s fantastic that your children had so much fun and enjoyment from all the on-site facilities as well as the Castle Rangers Club.
I will speak with our reservations team and I apologise for the issues you encountered, but I will also pass on your compliments to the Castle Rangers team.
We are working on a solution to our Wi-Fi and hope to have a solution shortly.

We would love to welcome you and your family back to the Castlerosse in the future.

ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Castlerosse for 3 nights my third or fourth visit overall we enjoyed our stay but didn't think standard was as high as previous visits. If you don't like small children don't go as this is very much a family orientated hotel which is excellent for young families

• Stayed August 2014
MarkBowe, Guest Relations Manager at Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Matilda,

Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. I am disappointed to note that you felt standards were not as high as previous occasions. During the summer months we are very focused on families and have organised packages and activities to suit. Outside of these times we offer a range of packages and programmes that I feel suit all age categories and personalities.

We would love to welcome you back to the Castlerosse again.