Castlerosse Hotel & Holiday Homes
$392
TripAdvisor
Randles Hotel(Killarney)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsgolf lodgesthe cottageskids clubnational parkself cateringbasketball courtswimming poolleisure centrehired bikeshotel facilitiesview from the dining roomfamily holidaylake and mountainskillarney townfamily roomwasher dryerbit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 8, 2012

What a location. I stayed on the 7th of September for a wedding. We arrived early and there was no problem to check in at 12.30pm which was great as the wedding was at 2.30pm. The location is second to none. The staff are friendly and efficient. The food at the wedding banquet was simply amazing.Breakfast was excellent. Maybe a little more variety in terms of breads/pastries? Can't wait to pay a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Just back from a three day breat at the Castlerosse with my boyfriend and 18 month old. We had a woodland cottage. House lovely, decor a little dated but clean. Kitchen had everything you need for your stay.

We ate in the bar and food was lovely and reasonable and what a view.

We used to pool and like other reviews said the changing rooms are a bit small but it was very quiet so not and issue. My only fault would be the kids pool it is really just a railed off section of the shallow end so too deep for young kids.

Staff were all lovely and friendly. Will def be back.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at Castlerosse during our recent visit to Killarney. The hotel is beautiful and appears to be very popular. Our room (number 108) was nice but dated (curtains had holes in them, part of the dust ruffle was missing off one of the beds, furniture scratched, etc). We had dinner in the dining room the first night which was not a good experience. Our waiter would not take a wine order from us so by the time the person responsible for taking the order came over we were on our second course and the food was mediocre at best. I would not recommend eating there. The breakfast presentation offered a lot of variety and was very good.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank 214NancyC
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel on 5 occasions over the last 10 years. We now have 4 children aged between 17 and 6 who all look forward to staying in the cottages attached to the hotel. We stayed in one of the newer cottages and were delighted with the accommodation. The food is good and not too expensive and the golf course and pool help to entertain the family. The kids clubs have always been an attraction as the children can get away from us and we can relax knowing that they are safe.

We walked into Killarney most days which is about a 20 minute walk for the family through beautiful parkland

Finally the view from the bar and restaurant must rank as one of the best in the world.

A lovely relaxing enjoyable holiday.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 935AlanW935
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I stayed int he Castlerosse hotel for one night onthe 25th August as my brother was competing in the Ironman contest which was due to finish at the resort.

Good: My first impression was that the surrounding are was stunning- you literally could not wish for a better view from the bar area and there are some gorgeous walk options. The rooms were clean and tidy and even my single room was spacious and having a bath was great. The pool and leaisure facilities were superb and I would return for these two things- the view and the facilities.

Bad: Couldn't check in on arrival as room not ready- no compensation offered, told to 'go away and come back in an hour'. Asked when check in actually was 'between 2 and 4 ish'- that's not a check in time that's a ball park figure!
No help offered with lugagge for my heavily pregnant sister in law 7.5months who also had her 7 year old with her and a massive suitcase- clearly ihelped!)
She was positioned in a room a good 10 minute walk from reception, and when I asked if she could be reallocated as check in had just opened I was simply told no all rooms were allocated now- as a result she was in agony by the end of her first night
Only hand towels in both bedrooms- asked for bath towels, told they hadn't come back fromt he laundry yet, My sister in law got hers about 4 horus after we arrived- I never received mine!
Very little communication in the rooms re: leisure facility timings/dining options etc
Stopped serving food at 8pm on a Saturday when they were host to a massive competitiion. When we called to enquire reception offered no help in offering us an alternative eg. delivery from a takeawy so my sister in law and I had to drive into Killarney to get dinner for my brother after a 15 hours sporting challenge.
Hotel bar at night- at 0000 the waitress was counting her tips out onto the bar top and wandering about behind there in her own coat refusing to serve anyone. Only one bar tender on from 0000- again hosting a massive event and the bar was packed
Breakfast was ok- the staff member who checked me in didn't smile once and told me I couldn't sit on a table for 5 (explained I was waiting on people)
Our breakfats plates all piled up onto the table as waitresses ambled around us until we had no elbow room left and just left for our rooms
All emergency exits were left open- didn't feel secure
On check out- the recpeionist didn't smile or make eye contact once,. I asked if I could leave my luggage somewhere he said yes but then proceeded to not tell me where. He answered the phone as I was counting my cash- proceeded to bo on it for 5 minutes and raised his hand to silence me when I asked if I could just leave the cash and go as my luggage was heavy. Very frustrating.
Staff in general were unfriendly and never made eye contcat- the only unfriendly service people I've met Southern Ireland!
Houskepeping in public areas was a bit hit and miss
I work in a hotel (I know we're the worst for leaving reviews) but this hotel is truly beautiful and could be amazing- so many opportunited were missed at the weekend for increased guests satisfaction and revenue! Would it have killed to open the kitchen to midnight- I know a lot of the Iron men participants stayed int he hotel and wanted to eat there. Would a smile have been so hard- it was definately the distinct lack of interest, manners and basic service skills the staff had that really let you down....Pick it up guys and you could be amazing!!! (should note, ginger haired guy in the bar on Saturday lunchtime was the only team memeber who smiled it us and tried to have a conversation as people NOT just room numbes!

Overall- I enjoyed it but I know how we approach our guests and we don't boast half the natural beauty and opportunities Castlerosse does!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family