“What a great place to switch off from the world” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cahernane House

Cahernane House
Ranked #28 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Ireland
“What a great place to switch off from the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2010

Just spent a lovely weekend in The Cahernane with my wife. The staff were really helpful, they upgraded us to a beautiful room in the old house on arrival and looked after us very well during our stay. We had dinner there on Saturday night and the food was outstanding. This was our second time staying there and we'll be going back again.
Much nicer and much friendlier then the big 5 Star places in Killarney (2 of which we've stayed in) and certainly better value.
Thanks for the hospitality.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Siamsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Turkish first
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

My mom and I were in Ireland for a week and were looking for the "castle feeling" for one of our night stays. The true castle hotels I had found online were a little out of our price range so we decided upon the Cahernane House (as it was much less at 190 euro a night for a gorgeous superior room). Upon arrival, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! I was so pleased and instantly knew I had to book another night as I knew there would be no way to leave the following morning. The place was beautiful and had so much character. I felt like I had stepped back in time and didn't want to leave. The furnishings and decor were lovely and all of the sitting/public rooms had lit fireplaces which added to the charm. The cellar bar had a great atmosphere and John was an absolute delight to have serving us our drinks and dinner. He gave us an excellent tip to visit the nearby Killarney National Park which we did and were so glad! Take a short and inexpensive tour with a jaunting car to the Muckross House... you won't be disappointed. We also walked into the center of town (an easy 15 minute walk) and enjoyed Killarney nightlife both of the evenings we were there. We enjoyed tons of pubs with Irish music playing all night, which is typical of most cities in Ireland. I could have stayed at the Cahernane House all week but wanted to see other parts of the beautiful country. I can't wait to return with my husband and spend more time at this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank corkymaria
Somerset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

Stayed at the Cahernane House Hotel earlier in the year. A lovely hotel set in its own grounds. The rooms were excellent and the food was satisfactory. The only slight niggle would be that there was no tea or coffee facilities in the room and at the price there should be. When I mentioned this I was told I could order through room service. However at 05.00 in the morning I just want to have a coffee when I want, not when room service want to deliver it.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

I really enjoyed my stay at the Cahernane hotel. It is a hidden gem of Killarney. The hotel is located on the Muckross Road and has a beautiful tree filled avenue leading up to the hotel. The hotel itself is a lovely country house.It feels like going back in time into the world of the landed gentry. The room I stayed in was spacious with a comfortable bed and had a lovely bathroom with heated floor. I had dinner in the hotel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were also friendly and helpful. If in Killarney definately give it a try. THe location is truly special.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Naas, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2010

We stayed at Cahernane House Hotel for our first wedding anniversary. The hotel is really charming and all the staff welcoming and polite.
The location is beautiful, with lovely views, although you'd want to take a taxi/drive into town, it's a bit of a spin.
Our room definitely needed some TLC - the shower door wouldn't close properly, the fan in the bathroom was REALLY loud, the carpet and wallpaper were worn out and stained, the furniture was old (and not the kind of old you'd consider antique!) but the bed was incredibly comfortable! Plus it's really quiet and peaceful, good sleep guaranteed!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

From the lane that takes you off the main road toward Killarney, with its long canopy of shade trees to serve as a buffer from unwanted noise, to the patio in the sprawling back garden - a view of the Killarney hills, a fine Irish whiskey after a full day's hike through the nearby National Park. Cahernane is no ordinary emerald. I'd say the staff was professional, but that would somehow diminish the sense that I was staying in a friend's home - albeit quite a well-off friend! Any day that starts with a morning view like the one my room afforded would satisfy the most demanding needs for relaxation, peace and how one imagines the west of Ireland before they get there.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank MikeOfTheNorthPole
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

We stayed at the Cahernane House when our original accomodations at Ballyseede Castle were overbooked. The Ballyseede manager made these arrangements for us and we were very pleased. It is a manor house with a new addition attached. Our rooms in the addition were spacious with sitting areas, large walk-in closets and balconies overlooking the pastures that surround the home. One room had a whirlpool tub that was not working, however. The public areas of the house are beautiful set with antique furnishings. A pub was a nice alternative for dinner to the formal dining room. My teenage sons enjoyed the Snooker room until late in the evening and tennis court in the morning. Breakfast was wonderful. Wifi access in the public areas but it would more convenient to be able to access internet in the rooms. All in all, this was a pleasant surprise we hadn't planned for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family