“A hotel with such character and comfort, I extended my stay ... twice!”
Review of Cahernane House

Cahernane House
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Montreal, Canada
“A hotel with such character and comfort, I extended my stay ... twice!”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

From the lane that takes you off the main road toward Killarney, with its long canopy of shade trees to serve as a buffer from unwanted noise, to the patio in the sprawling back garden - a view of the Killarney hills, a fine Irish whiskey after a full day's hike through the nearby National Park. Cahernane is no ordinary emerald. I'd say the staff was professional, but that would somehow diminish the sense that I was staying in a friend's home - albeit quite a well-off friend! Any day that starts with a morning view like the one my room afforded would satisfy the most demanding needs for relaxation, peace and how one imagines the west of Ireland before they get there.

• Stayed June 2010
1 Thank MikeOfTheNorthPole

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Turkish first
Tunkhannock, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 12, 2010

We stayed at the Cahernane House when our original accomodations at Ballyseede Castle were overbooked. The Ballyseede manager made these arrangements for us and we were very pleased. It is a manor house with a new addition attached. Our rooms in the addition were spacious with sitting areas, large walk-in closets and balconies overlooking the pastures that surround the home. One room had a whirlpool tub that was not working, however. The public areas of the house are beautiful set with antique furnishings. A pub was a nice alternative for dinner to the formal dining room. My teenage sons enjoyed the Snooker room until late in the evening and tennis court in the morning. Breakfast was wonderful. Wifi access in the public areas but it would more convenient to be able to access internet in the rooms. All in all, this was a pleasant surprise we hadn't planned for.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank candqmom
matthews nc
Reviewed June 11, 2010

This place is paradise! Not only is it a gorgeous, atmospheric sight to behold, but it is staffed by wonderful people who go out of their way to help (including making loads of calls to help us locate our lost video camera--with success!). The building is absolutely stunning inside and out, with the addition of the modern wing done in the most charming way imaginable, transitioning from the old manor house to the garden wing with perfection. I took almost a hundred pictures of the grounds and the building! Just couldn't stop. The driveway alone is stunning and the grounds are so very peaceful and tranquil and huge, you cannot believe you are almost in the town of Killarney itself! Do yourself a favor and stay in this bit of heaven. It has no rivals in Killarney for charm and atmosphere---and value!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Galesburg, Illinois
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We recently stayed (May, 2010) at The Cahernane House Hotel. It was excellent. My wife has already posted a review. I was too busy to do at the time but I feel compelled to write now.

The accommodations and the staff were excellent. There's a small pub in the basement. It's tended by the staff. It was a great place to sit, enjoy a drink, and talk over the days activities with my family and the other visitors staying at the hotel. In fact, those nights at the pub were some of my fondest memories from this Ireland trip.

In addition, the food was great and the accommodations were roomy, clean and quiet. We'll return and I heartily recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Illinois
Reviewed May 19, 2010

My husband, son, and I recently returned from a three night stay at the beautiful Cahernane House Hotel. I want to share with you my delight in the staff and the hotel. The staff is absolutely superb; the best I have ever encountered. Marian is a truly gracious hostess. My thanks also to Mary, John, and a courtly Polish young man named Yenush (I apologize to him as I most likely have misspelled his name).

The house is gorgeous and the rooms are very comfortable. The beds and linens are excellent. The breakfast is wonderful and served by a cheerful, bustling staff. The grounds are beautiful. Our room overlooked a meadow with cows in a field and sheep in another.

The hotel is set on Muckross Road just a few minutes’ walk from the center of Killarney. When you turn off the road to enter the grounds, you drive down a long tree-lined lane which makes you feel you are leaving your cares behind. It is a magical place. Honestly, there is not a thing to find fault with. I hope you get a chance to stay there yourself.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
ireland
Reviewed May 12, 2010

everything from the greating at the front door, to our bags brought up to our room was perfect. the setting is truly amazing you are in the heart of Kilarney but you do not feel as though you are as the entrance is well in off the main road. food was amazing, the service was amazing, the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed in for sure. we will be going back again soon and we will be staying much longer.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Tipperary
Reviewed November 24, 2009

If you want to stay at one historic manor house in Ireland, the Cahernane should be it. The hotel has everything from historic landlords, oak paneled hallways, stunning views over the National Park as well as friendly staff and wonderful food and service. I would recommend for a weekend away where you want peace and quiet but also want the amenities on your doorstep. I have used this hotel for clients for five years now with over three hundred clients stayed here and have never been disappointed.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business