My spouse and I stayed at the Cahernane on our first night in Ireland. The hotel is located on the outskirts of Killarney, so it was good to get away from the in town tourist congestion. The tree lined approach to the hotel was pleasant. Upon our arrival we were greeted by two staff members, who could not have been more cordial. The young lady at the front office was one of the most pleasant hotel staff members we've ever dealt with, so that was really nice after a long plane trip and drive to Killarney.
Our room was in the new wing. It was large and roomy, and although modernized, a bit worn. A tv cabinet had a damaged door. The bathroom was new and spacious, with a marble floor and sparking fixtures. Possibly the rooms in the old part of the house have more character.
The main part of the hotel is comfortable and offers the feel of an old estate. The restaurant appeared to be elegant, but we passed since it was a bit pricey. Instead, we drove to Kenmare and ate dinner at Packie's, which I highly recommend if you have the time and inclination. The service was wonderful, the ambience casual, and the food was the perfect meal.
We had breakfast the next morning at the hotel restaurant. It was the best breakfast we had in Ireland. The dining room is comfortable and elegant and the staff very accommodating and professional. They will cook anything you'd like to have; in addition, there is a buffet with anything you'd want--meats, cheeses, salmon, and pastries you might not find for breakfast elsewhere in Ireland.
The Cahernane is very close to Muckross House and the lakes of Killarney, and is a good starting point for a drive along the Ring of Kerry, not to be missed. I'd stay here again, but it's not inexpensive.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cahernane House Hotel is a boutique four-star hotel located on a private estate on the edge of Killarney Park. Formerly home to the Herbert Family, this manor house is just a 10 minute walk to Killarney town centre. The hotel boasts 38 unique guest rooms; 12 of which are located in the original house and the other 26 are located in the garden wing of the hotel. Each room has many of the original features including wooden ceiling beams and beautiful fireplaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Cahernane House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cahernane House Hotel Killarney
- Cahernane Hotel Killarney