“Good stay”

Holiday Inn Killarney
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed last sat night the 8th June for 1 night check in very fast and got 3 rooms together which was handy .rooms were good very clean breakfast was on until 11.30 which was great if you have a late night enjoyed stay would stay here again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Killarney

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The best part of this hotel is its staff. Maira at the front desk is one of the best customer service agents I’ve ever encountered. She was consistently friendly and incredibly helpful. She didn’t wait for us to ask, she offered solutions to problems we didn’t even know we had. One morning on our way out, she asked what we had planned for the day. We told her we were going to rent bikes for a tour of the park. She told us that the bike rental place may not be open yet, so she called to find out for us. When we checked out, she told us we could check out in US dollars rather than Euros (because Holiday Inn is US based), so we avoided the 3% foreign transaction fee. We were scheduled to leave before the breakfast buffet opened. Maira offered us the opportunity to have a continental breakfast before the hot food buffet opened. These are just three examples of her great service. Some enormous hotel should snap her up and pay her loads of money. She is the reason people return to a hotel.

We enjoyed Guinness in the bar and had dinner there two nights. We were very pleased with the quality of the food and the service. Their hamburgers were fabulous and I’m a bit of a hamburger snob.

The breakfast restaurant staff is not the same caliber as the front desk and bar. While some of the breakfast staff wavers somewhere close to friendly, the overriding attitude is quiet disdain. I’m bewildered as to how the front desk staff and the bar staff can have such wonderful attitudes while the breakfast staff seems to indicate that you are simply annoying them by being there.

The pool tends to attract families with children of course, but we were lucky enough to give it a try one afternoon while the wee people were absent. We were surprised to find a sauna and a steam shower as well as a hot tub. The pool is heated and a good size and towels are available.

We were upgraded to one of the larger suites with a separate room containing a couch, TV, table and chairs, and refrigerator. It was great to have that much extra space. And yes, the rooms are a bit dated, but having the extra room was quite nice. The bathroom seemed to be recently remodeled and the TVs were flat screens. Internet access is good in the lobby and most of the bar. Internet in the rooms requires a fee. I would suggest to management that internet access should be available throughout the hotel for free.

Overall, we had a very good experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had been to Killarney for a spring vacation. We had stayed in Holiday Inn, Amsterdam a year ago. It was very comfy and good stay there. With that in mind, my husband and I thought Holiday Inn, Killarney would be decent too. But what a disappointment! Will never stay in that hotel again. Just a couple of days before our visit, a person from the hotel called up and told us that our rooms were upgraded to suites. We were really overjoyed. But unfortunately, our joy was short lived. The rooms were horribly decorated, very untidy, lights were very depressing. Even the bathroom was not clean. It had a leaky ceiling, and no lock. Totally unpleasant and terrible it was. Will never go there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sowjanya B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Sowjanya B,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. We work hard to ensure our facilities are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn around. I am truly sorry that this visit was not exceptional for you due to the condition of the room you were given. I appreciate your feedback as this is crucial for us to address target areas that need improvements.

Again, thanks for the review and we hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Pam G

Reviewed May 30, 2013

My family and I spent a wonderful three days at the Holiday Inn in Killarney in May.
The hotel was a well run family inn. The staff were incredible, so helpful in every way. They helped us plan our visit and provided us with an upgrade to a family suite which met our needs perfectly. Our room was clean and quite. Our teenager really loved the towel warmer,as it was a little cold for May. There was always a fire in the lobby fireplace and it was a comfortable spot to sit, talk,and use the free wi-fi
We loved the Killarney Race Course, Muckross House, and the charming village.
The food at the Holiday Inn was very good.
We ate at the pub. The sandwiches, salmon and bread and butter pudding were delicious. The breakfast buffet was good too and very convenient .
We could walk to town for shopping and live music. There was also a beautiful garden along the river just a half block from the hotel. We enjoyed a buggy ride in one of the "jaunting cars" too and took lovely photos of Ross Castle.
We just loved this place and hope to return someday to hike in the national park. The people were so friendly and the mountains are just spectacular .

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are very quiet, upper floors will have views of the mountains, the pool is on the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Hm... Only 2* here from me only... Why?

I have stayed there only one night during my trip to Western Ireland, April 2013. Hotel is located approx. 15 min walking distance from the city centre. There is complimentary parking, but it could be very busy. There is pub as a part of this property.

Maybe I will start with things I liked:
- Receptionist at check-out - she was really nice, kind and professional (check-in was completely different story);
- Price - this was my Priority Club Rewards redemption which was very competitive offer;
- Welcome letter with some details,
- Great staff in the pub - they saved me in the evening with some sandwiches and chips even if they closed kitchen few minutes earlier,

Unfortunately there is much more to mention, what I didn't like...
- Smell of sheeps outside (nothing could be done, I understand) and inside (corridors) - that was really strong and quite disgusting I have to admit...;
- Room #301 was spacious and big, but veeeery dated and just abused. Shabby walls and furniture, damage tiles in the bathroom (holes, cracks etc.), some 'children paintings' on the walls, totally awful ironing board (!!!); no in-room Wi-Fi (free downstairs or wired in-room) and not really interesting view (garbage which was surrounded by walls, but totally visible from my window); no electrical outlets (this was tricky to charge 3 phones) and simple, but extremely annoying thing – there was no bin in this room (oh, forgot, I had it just outside my window...), no small notepad and pen/pencil (like in any other HI in the world)...
- check-in experience - Receptionist was soooo bored and uninterested... She handed over my 'welcome letter' and that's it. 'Yeah, whateva'" (that's what I felt),
- For Priority Club Rewards members they offer 10% off food, which was not shown on my bill (I've noticed that later). It wasn't much, but they should track it automatically;
- Swimming Pool - unfortunately I was unable to use it or even see this place - they have some really crazy opening hours. Why would you even keep that?
- Public Toilet downstairs (behind reception) is so dirty that I just didn’t wanted to take picture of that. It was like in a really old and smelly pub in the middle of nowhere. And that was not even during the night, but late afternoon. Sorry, but this is not acceptable.

Despite all these things room looked clean (I hope so it was), but needs urgent renovation. Pub with their staff is absolutely great and very helpful.

I think I may consider coming back there, but only if I could book really lower price (I mean not more than EUR 55) as other hotels seems to have better location and standard. Holiday Inn Killarney - you don't meet HI standards unfortunately... So sorry...

Room Tip: Not #301 for sure.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank marqoos_pl
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear marqoos_pl,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are pleased to hear of our friendly staff in the pub as well as at check out. However, I am deeply sorry you found some aspects of our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W

Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

This holiday inn is a bit oldish, but everything was ok. Room and toilet are big, facilities given is very basic but acceptable. Not a fancy hotel, but we really enjoy our stay here. For the price we paid, we have no complaint.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Astin_Pang
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We got a fantastic deal online for a 3 night midweek break. When we arrived, the reception staff were not available for ~5 mins. I ended up going into the bar to get assistance. Once we checked in, the staff were lovely. They asked about our plans and booked us in for dinner a couple of hours later. She even gave us some ideas on how to spend the few days (with maps!)

Dinner was ok, really plentiful, very quick service and no complaints at all. The dining room seemed to be full with a bus tour.

Our room was clean (but a few hairs in the bath :-( ) bedclothes were good quality, but the beds were awful. There was 2 double in our room, one bed had a mattress that was too large (think it was a king size) so when you sat on the bed, the mattress fell away at the sides. The other bed had broken boards so sank at the bottom and also in the middle.

There seemed to be plenty people about the hotel and in the evenings the bar was a nice end stop with sport on the tv, and a pool table to pass a few hours. The bar staff seemed fairly friendly.

Breakfast was standard enough and as we didn't seem to be part of a large tour we were left to our own devices and had to go looking for tea/coffee. Full Irish was available, and cereal and fruit and yogurts (pity fresh fruit was limited).

We didn't visit the pool/gym area so I can't comment on the facilities.

Killarney seemed to have unlimited beds available, and the holiday inn was in a convenient location, however I cannot help think there were probably more comfortable rooms available for the same value on the same street ( there were hundreds of hotels and b&b's on this street!) After 3 nights unsettled sleep we were glad to leave.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Irishsakani
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear Irishsakani,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us regarding your recent stay. We are glad you like our staff and dinner served. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered with the uncomfortable bed. Our goal is to consistently provide excellent service and accommodations and your comments are highly important. Rest assured your concerns will be looked into. We appreciate your candid feedback and welcome to any opportunity to improve our hotel. We hope to provide you with a better experience in the future.

Zelyn N