“Could have been better”

Holiday Inn Killarney
Ranked #34 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Recently stayed here on a cheap weekend getaway. Have stayed here previously but very dissapointed this time round.

Room very shabby and in need of a good cleaning and maintenance. Many lights needing replacing, cobwebs on ceilings/walls and wallpaper all starting to peel off.

The only advantage to our stay was the nearness to the pool for the kids.

Bed broken and very uncomfortable.

Meals for kids very expensive and menu choice very very poor. Very overpriced for quality of food.

Breakfast also quite expensive for kids, and choice very limited. Cooked breakfast was also very dry and hard looking (at 8am??)...

frequent visitor to Killarney but will be a long time before we visit here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
HIK-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

Dear Nettie1974,
Thank you for posting your review of the Holiday Inn Killarney. I am disappointed to read your comments, and I do sincerely apologize that you did not enjoy your stay with us on this occasion, as we did not fulfill our promise of providing comfortable surroundings for your and yoru family to enjoy. I have shared your comments with my team and together we have taken action to rectify the issues you commented on. I do hope when returning to Killarney i will be able to show you that we have a great hotel that guests love and i would ask you to contact me personally here at the hotel. Thank you again

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Killarney

Reviewed February 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed last weekend in this hotel. It is exactly what I would expect it to be: all my requests before check-in were attended, the staff were friendly, we slept in a suite and it was nice, clean, and we had a good night sleep.

There were families with kids staying besides our room, and yet I couldn't feel any noise coming from there. Speaking of families, if you are travelling solo or with your companion and if kids bother you, perhaps it's not a bad idea to search for other alternatives in Killarney.

The restaurant was nice and efficient both at dinner and breakfast. The food is not out of this world, but it is good, and the service better. The pub grants a discount for guests and looks nice and friendly, even though the music was a bit cheesy in my opinion.

The property is conveniently located near the city centre and the National Park. The value was ok. It didn't go beyond my expectations, but I don't see a reason why not to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
HIK-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Dear RuiH,
thank you for reviewing the Holiday Inn Killarney. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and the hotel, its facilities & services.
We look forward to welcome you to the hotel in the near future!

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just came back from our 2 night stay in Holiday Inn in Killarney. The Hotel is located approx 10 minutes walk from the city centre (takes about 15 if wearing uncomfortable heels ;)) and about the same walk towards National Park (which is MAGNIFICENT!). The receptionist welcomed us very warmly and kindly explained where everything was and offered help if we needed anything. when we got to our room, it was immaculate clean and we also had complimentary soap & shampoo in the bathroom, as well as coffee & tea. If you forget any of your own toiletries it is possible to order them from reception. Wi-fi is available in bar and lobby area. Great thing about the breakfast is that at the weekend it's served until 11.30am (!) which is great if you like a lay in after a night out...for dinner you can choose bar food or you can book a table at the restaurant. We haven't had a dinner at the hotel as we wanted to explore the town, but the option is there if the weather isn't nice or if you are feeling lazy. Hotel has a small 12m pool on the first floor, so it's hard to go for a 'swim' but there also is a Jacuzzi and sauna and a steam-room to choose from (towels are provided by the hotel!). Staff at the hotel are really friendly and accommodating and you can really relax. Killarney is a lovely spot for a weekend break and we are going back in May for another stay as we want to climb mountains once the weather gets better. I would recommend that hotel to everyone who wants a stress-free stay on a budget, you will not be dissappointed!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Magic_Pati
HIK-GM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Dear Magic Pati,

thank you for review of our hotel! I am delighted you enjoyed your short break here at the Holiday Inn Killarney and made the most of our facilities and everything Killarney has to offer. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in May. My staff will be very happy to read your comments about their friendliness and their welcome. Thank you again and see you soon!

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Our stay was fine. The hotel is within walking distance of the town centre which is great. We had a 2-room suite which was great for the kids. The pool is tiny but if you only want a bit of a splash around, it's grand.
Food was fine. Staff were great, polite & friendly. Good for a short family break, we got excellent value for money.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank SharonaT

Dear Dublin Kopite,

thank you for your review of the Holiday Inn Killarney. i am very happy you enjoyed your stay with us and the hotel facilities. Whereas we offer complimentary Wifi in all our public areas, the Wifi-Access in all our rooms is something i am currently working on and hopefully we will have it in place when you return to us in the near future. Thank you again

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Killarney for a one-night stay with my son.The hotel is conveniently located betweek the town cente and Killarney national park. Upon chck-in we were very warmly greeted by the receptionist who explained everything about the hotel services in a friendly manner. We had reserved a twin room and the room was a good size and well equipped with two double beds, ironing board, and tea & coffee making facilities. Rooms and common areas are basic but clean and well presented. The restaurant menu is good value at 19.95 for 2 courses (kids menu is 10.00 for 3 courses). There is however a fairly extensive bar menu which we had and the food was very good. There is a pool room in the bar and several screens showing sports, etc. The leisure centre is small with a 10m pool, baby pool, jacuzzi, sauna & steam room. The only areas I feel the hotel falls down are the lack of Wi-Fi in the bedrooms and the soundproofing in the bedrooms (I could hear a converstion quite clearly next door). Overall however I would recommend the hotel for its proce range for a short stay in the Killarney area.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the third (top) floor as you can hear people walking above you quite easily on the...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank DublinKopite
Reviewed January 14, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a lovely weekend in the Killarney Inn. This is our second time staying here so I thought it would be only fair to write a review. The hotel is very warm , clean abd comfortable ! The Bar food is lovely and staff at the hotel are great. There so friendly and accommodating . Breakfast is served till 11.30 so it's great when you want to have a lie in . It was 12 each day when we arrived for ours and there was no problem with the staff. We felt so comfortable there. Great location too for doing out door activities and it only costs about 5 euro for a taxi to town. I have nothing to complain about after our stay here. And look forward to returning for another weekend soon !!

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank lyndao75

Dear Lyndao75,
Thank you for your review! I am very happy about your comments and my staff will be delighted! They really want to take care of our customers and make them feel relaxed and comfortable, and they work hard to make it happen. We are looking forward to your next stay with us! Thank you again

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Nice hotel, we booked on a living social deal, got a good price but would not pay over the odds for this hotel. Bar was ok but a bit overpriced. A five minute nice walk into town and a two minute drive to Muckross House which is a must see.

Room Tip: Suites were very big so book a suite. In winter the heating is on all the time.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SJPDunne
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Killarney, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear SJPDunne,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. It is a great pleasure to learn about your experience with us and to know that you found our hotel nice. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the future.

Karen C