“Very friendly” 3 of 5 bubbles

White Gates Hotel
Ranked #39 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
“Very friendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

Staff excellent , location good , child friendly , great food , good atmosphere , hotel needs updating , but I would recommend it , value for money
Would stay there again
O' Dowds. Wexford

• Stayed July 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Gillette, Wyoming
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with a group of people on a student tour. For the most part, the hotel was ok, it was just very rundown. The staff was very accomodating and kind, but there is no front desk and no way to get ahold of someone if you have a question or a problem. Many of the rooms in the hotel were so full of mold that the walls were literally covered in black fuzz. In one room, water poured from the light fixture in the ceiling and ran down the walls. In another, the water would just randomly shut off, especially during showers. It is located across the street from some other nice hotels, so we were quite disappointed to discover that we had been stuck with the crappy hotel. I was NOT impressed with the White Gates. If I hadn't been obligated to stay there, I wouldn't have.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors have less mold, but also less water pressure. I advise that you book at the H...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SubstituteTeacher80

Travelers are raving about these Killarney hotels

Western Ireland, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

This was my first staying here as I had read all the horror stories. Pleasantly surprised. I got room 205 nice decor ensuite, clean, the food was great value & excellent , as good as anywhere in Killarney. I had the steak sandwich . I decided to go down for a pint that night, lots of locals which is a good sign for starters. Great atmosphere. I also found out its under new management which must have made a difference . Keep up the good work. I also found the staff very friendly & helpful.
My opinion for a budget hotel it good value for money. I have no horror stories to report. In one sentence don't expect four star service for budget prices.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Liambourke
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Staff were very obliging from the time we arrived to when we left. Bedroom was clean and fresh towels and sheets were as new.only thing I found was the old smell on corridors it needed a good airing. Breakfast was brilliant our waiter was brilliant.

I

• Stayed May 2012
limerick
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Well I was very very worried after hearing that my inlaws had booked me in here for the weekend after reading the reviews!!!! To be honest it is budget accomadation,, the rooms need updating and yes there is a smell of old, but the bed linen was immacualate, bathroom & towels etc., equally immaculate. Owner very nice & obliging in every way,,, but it is budget all the way so expect no frills... but great value for a bed in Killarney town. Pub atosphere lively at night but no messing... all in all my rating really is for value for money for a popular holiday town - if your on budget go there!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jo c
westmeath
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2010

we could not fault the staff there was no manager to complain to its false advertisement there was no dining room the room was used for breakfast there was an awful smell in hotel floor boards broken at top of stairs tiles broken in bathroom curtains torn and dirty the room we stayed so called was looking out into dirty bins the wllpaper was all brown stains the hotel needs to close down for a full makeover never ever would stay there again it was close to town for walking pity the hotel was not good there was no at reception you had to go into the bar every time we were never asked was everything all right

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dog81
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

No matter what some sites may say this is not a 3 star hotel it is quite simply awful! arrived at 5 to check in to our room waited 10 mins at the 'reception table' for someone to appear, nobody did, eventually my boyfriend went into the bar to look for help at this time a member of staff walked out asked my name handed me a key and walked off. we went up to our room which was at the end of the hall beside an open fire escape and had to bat away several flys to open the door. The room was old fashioned and smelt awful, although we booked a double room for two adults we got two twin beds that were not even put together, the rooms overheat very quickly and its quite uncomfortable. The first morning we were woken up at 9 with cleaners at the door looking for wet towels for no reason (a situation that reoccured the second morning). The decor of the hotel is old and dirty and one of the steps on the stairs is even broken which clearly noone bothers to fix. The second night we were in a rush and made the mistake of eating in the hotel bar. It started off promising out starters arrrived in ten minutes, but 1 hour later with the starter plates still on the table there was no sign of the food we went to the bar and explained we had tickets to a show and had to leave soon to which they replied 'oh your finished your starters?', the food arrived and was hardly edible had clearly been heated in the microwave. The service was just as bad as the food. During our 2 day stay we over heard two seperate groups insisting on room changes and i am not suprised. This hotel is located near enough to walk to town, but, it is on a road full of gorgeous hotels and B&Bs so there is no reason to stay in this hotel at all. Avoid at all costs!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple