“Stunning Hotel”
Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently went to stay at the Lake Hotel with my partner for two night with breakfast each morning and one evening meal. I think the hotel's prices are excellent and it is by far one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. The three best features for me were the friendliness of the staff, the beautiful views and the room we stayed in. On arrival we were met with an extremely friendly reception staff. They were very helpful and were delighted to answer any questions we had. This continued with the restaurant staff and the bar staff who always engaged us with friendly conversation, giving a feeling of total ease. One of the nicest staff was the lovely German lady who works in the leisure centre in the hotel. The views are like no other I have seen in a hotel in Ireland and the rooms are very clean, comfortable and the bathrooms have everything you could want! I have already recommended this hotel to friends and I will definitely be returning again.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the Lake I feel is the best.
1  Thank ppjackson
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us. Nothing gives us greater pleasure at the hotel then to know that our guests leave feeling happy and relaxed after their stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud. I will pass your comments on to Kirstin in our beauty treatment rooms as you mention her in particular she is a fantastic member of the team and receives exceptional feedback on her work from our guests. Since we introduced our new Barbor product range last year we have been getting excellent feedback on our beauty treatments that we provide here at the hotel so thank you for those comments. Thank you also for your comments regarding the cleanliness and comfort of our rooms I will pass those on to Anne and her team in accommodation. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the lake soon and thank you most sincerely for recommending us to your friends.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Just back from 2 night break with my husband. Such a beautiful setting and the relaxing atmosphere in the hotel made it one to remember. The room was perfect for us and the views are breathtaking over the lake.The hotel staff are so helpful and the food is really beautiful so all in all nothing to complain about.I am a big fan of this hotel and have been there many times so it is a genuine review.

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely warm review about your recent stay with us. Thank you in particular for your comments regarding the team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud. All of our team work hard to ensure our guests are well looked after during their stay so that they can make memories to treasure from their holidays with us. We are very lucky with our location alright today we feel that the view of the lake with the surrounding mountains and nature all around just can’t be beaten. I hope that we can welcome you and your family back to the hotel soon and thank you most sincerely for this lovely feedback.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here with my family for 3 nights in July 2012. My favorite thing about this place was it's location directly on the lake and adjacent to Killarney National Park. I like to get up early and take long morning walks when I'm on vacation and the Lake Hotel was perfect for that. I had Muckross Abbey entirely to myself one morning and passed only a few souls on my way there and back. We did not rent bikes while we were there and I regret that. It would have been a perfect place to do some relaxed family biking on the paved trails through the park. We had a very nice dinner in their restaurant one night and also enjoyed breakfast there each morning. Wandering around the hotel we stumbled into their library where they had an old manual typewriter. My kids were fascinated by it since they had never seen one before. We took day trips from Killarney to the Gap of Dunloe and Dingle/Slea Head, both of which are very worthwhile. The Lake Hotel is also close enough to town that you can walk to restaurants and pubs in about 20 minutes. Even at the height of tourist season in July the town didn't feel crowded.

Room Tip: We had a top floor superior room which was very nice and had a small balcony overlooking the lake. L...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank up2late

Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review about your recent stay with us. Yes we are very lucky with our location right on the lake shore with the beauty of the mountains and the surrounding nature all around us. There are some fantastic walks that you can do from the hotel. I hope you availed of our complimentary hotel map which outlines some of the hidden gem walks to do while holidaying with us that we specially designed for our guests. Let us know the next time you are with us if you would like to do some cycling as we can arrange for bikes to be brought to the hotel for your convenience from our local bike hire, it’s a great way to see more of what Killarney has to offer. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food here at the hotel I will pass those on to Paul our head chef and his team in the kitchen. I’m glad that your children enjoyed the old memorabilia that we have around the hotel its lovely to look back on times past and show them how things were done before the digital age. Thank you once again for this lovely feedback and I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the lake soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights, in a new suite - lovely room. Excellent bed, gorgeous bathroom, and stunnig view over the lake. Deers come right up to the hotel too. Food was good while we were there, and good value. Staff excellent, and the setting is wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review about your recent stay with us. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the room and its facilities which I will pass on to our accommodation team who have also just received and award from the IASI (Irish Accommodation Services Institute) which the hotel is very proud of. Thank you also for your comments regarding the food and the team here at the hotel. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Lake Hotel again soon.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night break in the Lake Hotel. Our daughter had recommended it to us and we were not disappointed. We booked a deluxe room rather than take a chance on getting a complimentary upgrade (which my daughter got on the 3 occasions she was there) but being valentine's weekend we felt it might be busy.
Initial impressions on driving in were that the building was a bit "higgledy-piggledy" and dated but once inside we were impressed by the freshness of the decor in reception and by the general feeling of warmth. Our deluxe bedroom was in the newest wing of the hotel and was very spacious and comfortable. I would have liked a 6' bed and hadn't thought of asking when booking -there was a 5' and a single bed in the room. Our view was spectacular- looking out on the lake - and the first morning there, when I opened the curtains, there were 4 deer out on the lawn in front of me.
Our booking for 3 nights included a meal on one of the nights and we opted to have that on the first night. We were very happy with everything and, being Valentine's night, there was a nice buzz in the dining room. The only other meal we had there, apart from breakfast and a daily tea/scone in the afternoons, was a lunch on the last day. We were both quite disappointed in the lunch. I had fish cakes which I found a bit dry and not very hot and my husband had beef stroganoff which he said was just passable.
There are lots of comfortable seating areas in the hotel and we used the weekend in the main just to sit around and relax. We walked over to Muckross House on the first morning-a very manageable distance- and walked towards town on another day. Otherwise , we just enjoyed sitting around reading and relaxing. Staff in all areas of the hotel were most friendly and attentive so full marks to everyone. Many of the guests seemed to be return visitors and I can understand why having experienced it for myself.The 3 night BB and 1 evening meal was very good value and I hope to return again.
(On the Saturday night we went over to the Hotel Europe to eat in the Brasserie-worth doing if possible.)

Room Tip: Definitely go for a lake-view room!

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review about your recent stay with us and thank you to your daughter for recommending our hotel to you. I’m glad that you were impressed with the hotel interior on arrival as we have just refurbished the reception, main lounge and restaurant over our recent winter closure so I’m thrilled to hear that our guests approve of the new look. As an old building dating back to 1820 there are architectural elements that we have grown to love and respect over the years and we always try to tie in any new additions with the old world look in the best way possible. I’m glad to hear that you got the opportunity to see the deer during your visit, they are out wading through the lake in the early morning sunshine and frosty grass this morning too we just never tire of watching them here at the hotel. I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your dining experience in the CastleLough restaurant on valentine’s night where there was a, lovely romantic atmosphere we even had a few proposals on the evening which was lovely. In regards your comments on the bistro lunch thank you for your feedback as we value all guest comments be they good or bad as it is the best way for us to continue to improve on the products and services we offer at the hotel. Please be assured I will discuss this with Paul our head chef and the relevant teams. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team here at the hotel I will pass those on to them. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Lake Hotel again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

This hotel is a lovely relaxing chilled out and friendly place to stay. The staff went out of their way to make us comfortable, nothing was too much trouble.
The views are fabulous from the front of the hotel and breakfast was lovely.
Some of the decor is a bit dated but this adds to the comfortable relaxed charm.

Room Tip: Get a room with a lake view if you can.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely warm review about your recent stay with us. Nothing gives us greater pleasure then to know that our guests leave feeling happy and relaxed after their stay with us. Thank you in particular for the lovely comments you made regarding our team here at the hotel who work hard to ensure that our guests get that home away from home feeling during their stay with us. Thank you also for your comment regarding the breakfast I will pass this on to our breakfast chefs who will be happy to hear that our guests are impressed with the quality of the breakfast they provide. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed in the master delux room on Valentines day as a surprise night away with my partner who then proposed to me on the lake front. Overall we were absolutely delighted with our stay, the views from our suite and the service provided by the staff was exeptional. While we were having breakfast overlooking the lake four deer walk past the window, its was unbelievable to see. I am looking forward to returning the the Lake Hotel again in the near future and have already started recommending to friends and family.

Dear Guest,

Congratulations on your lovely news. Your partner sure picked the right location to pop the big question who could say no when standing by the lake with the mountains and the beauty of the nature all around you all whispering say yes!! Well done and I hope that your stay with us made the occasion all the more special. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team here at the hotel of whom we are very proud and who always try to go out of their way to ensure that all of our guests make memories to treasure during their time with us. The deer are certainly a big hit with our guests. Only this morning there was a small family of deer wading in the lake in the frosty early morning sunshine. They are a beautiful sight to behold all throughout the year. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your fiancé back to the hotel soon again and thank you for passing on your recommendations to your family and friends.