Lake Hotel
$342
$279
$264
Hotels.com
Eviston House Hotel(Killarney)(Great Value!)
$165
The Ross(Killarney)
$253
  • Restaurant
2,442 results
All reviewsfour postercastle ruinscastlelough restauranthuggard familymaster deluxe roomred deerjacuzzi bathnew wingnational parkposter bedring of kerrylough leaneold worldmain restaurantrelaxing breakmuckross housetorc waterfall
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I am a regular visitor to the beautiful Killarney town and on this occasion I decided to treat myself to the 4 Star Lake Hotel. I only stayed for 1 nite and upgraded to the Master Deluxe Lake view room with a dinner included, not a cheap nite but it was a birthday treat. I am sorry to say that the stay was not the treat I expected. I will say first that the room view was spectacular and the the breakfast was above average.
Where to begin with the issues I encountered in a 4 Star premises. The carpet in the hallways needed mending. When we got to our room the shower still had shower gel on the wall after the previous guest(s). The upholstery on one of the armchairs was torn. There was a peanut on the floor. I informed Reception of the shower issue as I felt this showed that the room had not been cleaned to the high standard one would expect in any place. They were polite and "Thanked me for bringing this to their attention". We then went to dinner and expected that this issue would be rectified in our absence.
When we got to the dinner area there was a tear/hole in the table cloth right in front of me. It looked like an old cigarette burn. I thought that this was a little off for such a place and brought it the attention of one of the ladies on duty, she turned out to be the Supervisor and again she politely "Thanked me for bringing this to their attention".
Dinner was nice but the cheese board came out and was just laid down, no information as to what it contained was given by the waiter and nothing on it to say what was on it.
When we got back our room we found that there was nothing done about the uncleanliness in the shower.
When we checked out the next day we decided to talk to the Reception about our stay. This was dealt with in a very professional way by the lady on duty. She got the Manager to come and talk to us and The story had to be retold again and the Manager said that they found it hard to compete with NAMA hotels and that they were currently being advised about renovation for the hotel. He then left. Then another girl came forward to deal with the complaint. The story had to be retold AGAIN. She reiterated that they found it hard to believe our issues as they had received awards for their house keeping in the past.
This went on for a total of 20 minutes during which we asked just to pay the bill in total. A 10% discount was given as a gesture of good will. We were of course thankful for this gesture.
We were very disappointed on the standard of housekeeping that we encountered in such a prestigious place. When we tried to assist with feedback it took 20 minutes of our time and with 3 different people. I would have thought that the room would have been checked before occupancy and that when the complaint was raised that it would have been cleaned before we got back there.
All in all a very expensive nites stay in a place that was not up to the 4 Star standard I anticipated. Given the current economic climate in Ireland and the anticipated influx of visitors for the Gathering in 2013 I feel that standards need to to upgraded in hospitality training and Customer Care.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davekCorkIreland
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. Firstly thank you for your kind comments regarding the view from your room and the quality of the breakfast that you received at the hotel. I will pass your compliments on to Paul and his team in the kitchen. I am disappointed to hear that your overall stay did not live up to your expectations. Our team in accommodation pride themselves on impeccably high standards of cleanliness in the rooms and throughout the hotel and it is extremely rare for any guest to have any issues in regards cleanliness in their rooms as I think you must have picked up on by the reaction of the front desk team who you spoke to about your problem. I did take a look at this room today and could find no evidence of any of the upholstery being torn or damaged. Please be assured though that I will personally investigate this issue further with our team in accommodation and take any follow up action necessary. In regards your comments on the hotel décor that need refreshing we have an annual refurbishment and maintenance programme and the few areas that are in need of attendance will be addressed during the period that the hotel closes from December 9th to February 6th 2013.
In regards our technique for dealing with any negative feedback it is hotel policy to always thank the guest for bringing the issue to our attention as at The Lake Hotel we value all feedback given to us by our guests as it is another way for us to continue to improve on the products and services we offer to our guests. Our family is celebrating 100 years in the Irish Hospitality industry this year and we are very proud to continue to offer all of our guests a warm Irish welcome and a home away from home experience during their stay. We welcome and support the Gathering year and we are confident that the product and services we provide here at the Lake Hotel are up to and above the industry standard and we are proud to stand over our offerings here at The Lake Hotel.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Food was pretty good (three salmon orders and a hamburger). Don't know what I was thinking, but I was the hamburger order...didn't care for it.

Rooms are spacious and bed size as per your request. Hallways need some renovation on carpeting and the lights in the stairwell were burnt out from floor 2 to 4.

Grounds and view VERY nice. Staff very nice and accommodating. Expensive.

It was a quick stop for us, so maybe my opinions are too cursory and not as fair as they might otherwise be. No reason NOT to stop here if all is is what you are seeking. A great place from which to launch a hike or begin the Ring of Kerry.

Room Tip: Lake front is available for a price. If the view matters, choke up the bucks.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the food I will pass these on to Paul and his team in the kitchen. I note your comments regarding the hallways they do suffer minor wear and tear during the year. We have an annual refurbishment plan and maintenance programme and the few areas that are in need of attendance will be addressed during the period that the hotel closes from December 9th to February 6th 2013. Thank you for your comments about the grounds of the hotel Fionn and his team in maintenance work hard to keep these looking their best at all times for our guests. I hope that in the future you might come to stay again perhaps for a longer visit to fully avail of the facilities we offer our guests here at the Lake hotel. Thank you for your business once again.
Niall Huggard - General Manager

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Had a great stay at this hotel. The staff a very friendly and the food is great. The views from the lake side rooms is the best in the world. What a view to wake up to. Will be going back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: Go to floor 4 and room from 425 on
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review about our hotel. It is always a pleasure to know that our guests are happy with the products and services we offer here at the hotel and it motivates us to continue to improve on what we provide here at the lake. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the friendly staff of whom the hotel is very proud. We have to agree that there is no nicer view to pull back the curtains to in the morning it just does the soul good to look out at the Lake and the mountains and the beauty of the nature all around us. I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We are regular visitors to the Lake Hotel and stayed for 3 days towards the end of October. What brings us back again and again is the peace and tranquillity of the setting,the good humour and friendliness of the staff and the quality of the food. We particularly like the Delux Lakeview rooms which are equipped to the highest standard and have a recessed balcony facing due south overlooking the lake and mountains; ideal for a pleasant "sundowner"

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick O

Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely warm review about our hotel. This year our family is celebrating 100 years in the Irish Hospitality Industry and we are proud to continue the tradition of offering all of our guests a warm Irish Welcome and a high quality product and service here at the hotel. Nothing gives us greater pleasure then knowing that our guests leave feeling happy and relaxed after their stay with us. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team here at the hotel I will pass these on to them. Thank you for your continued support and we hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed over the October bank holiday weekend and already planning a trip back! Had such a relaxing and enjoyable stay at The Lakeside Hotel. The hotel is easy to find, very well signposted, only a couple of minutes drive from the centre of Killarney. The approach to the hotel is along a picturesque tree lined drive that sweeps around to the hotel and your first view of the lake is beautiful.
Check in was efficient and the receptionist was really warm and welcoming. We got lost on the way to our room (it was in the new part of the hotel) and a very helpful cleaner showed us the right way!!
Room was so clean and very spacious, view's over the lake and mountains are out of this world.
Food in the Castlelough restaurant is really good, the wait staff were really efficient and we thoroughly enjoyed our treat of a 3 course meal and chilled wine!
The hotel is really well positioned for walking to Muckross House, we spent a very enjoyable day at Muckross and Torc waterfall.
Overall the hotel mixes old with new seamlessly. Our room was modern yet a stroll down the hall was the library with oversized comfy chairs, chandeliers and open fires.
The hotel staff were all really friendly and professional, we had lovely afternoon tea and scones in the devils punchbowl lounge and dinner also in the sun lounge.
There is a great varierty for breakfast - cereals, fruit, breads, juices, full Irish, yoghurt's, cheeses, meats etc. Fresh toast and tea/coffee is brought to your table by your server. A lovely touch is a free newspaper for each guest and also a print off of the days weather on the table on the way into the breakfast room.
Overall, I couldn't recommend the hotel enough, amazing views and scenery, super comfy and clean rooms, great food and staff and an excellent location.
Looking forward to returning soon to watch the sun come up over the lake from the comfort of the king sized bed - heaven!!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a master deluxe room if you can, there is a jacuzzi in the room - you can look out and the view whilst in the bath - amazing!
Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eef22012011
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review and also such excellent photos of our hotel. Nothing gives us greater pleasure then knowing that our guests leave after their stay feeling happy and relaxed. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our team in front office and not forgetting our accommodation staff who you also mention in your review I will pass these on to them. Thank you for your comments regarding our rooms and of course the view from them with which we are blessed. We are extremely lucky to be a great base from which to do many of the wonderful tours, walks / hikes in Killarney and the wider Kerry area. I hope that you availed of our specially designed maps which outline some of the hidden gem walks that you can take from the Lake Hotel. Make sure and ask our reservations team when booking for suggestions on activities on how to plan your holiday in Killarney and they will be only too happy to assist. I have to agree that there is no nicer view to be pulling open the curtains to in the morning then the lakes and mountains outside. Once again thank you for this lovely review and thank you for your business I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel soon.