“Our favourite hotel in Kilarney”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Cork, Ireland
“Our favourite hotel in Kilarney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

We love the Lake Hotel, we've stayed there on quite a few occasions and have never been disappointed. The rooms are so spacious and the jacuzzi baths are heaven! My favourite experience was waking up in the middle of the night, I looked out the window and the moon was shining on the lake and there was a deer on the lawn. Amazing! I'd definitely recommend it to anyone especially the Superior Lake View Rooms.

Room Tip: It's worth forking out that little bit extra for a Superior Lake View Room...ask for one with a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doireann K
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
Just a quick note to thank you for posting such a lovely review about our hotel. We are always very happy to welcome repeat guests back to the hotel and take it as a huge compliment that they choose to return to us time and time again for their holidays. I’m glad to see that you were happy with your room and in particular the Jacuzzi they are a big hit with our guests alright. I’m happy to see that you got the opportunity to see the deer during your stay. They are treating us to great displays at the moment as it is the rutting season and they are in top form during this time of year. Only this morning King Tuan as we like to call him here was roaming the grounds looking as majestic as ever. We have lots of photos on our facebook page should you like to take a look. Once again thank you so much for such a warm review and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the lake again soon.
Niall Huggard – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

The only reason this hotel got 3 from 5 stars and not all 5 was the food. From the moment we arrived at the hotel we loved it. The lobby is so homely with a real roaring fire and the reception staff were great. The room was gorgeous, a lovely big double bed, Jacuzzi bath tub and balcony with stunning view of the Lake. We made arrangements to eat at the hotel as there was live music on in the bar that evening. Unfortunately the meal just did not come close to the experience of the rest of the hotel. The restaurant staff were not very competent. Many had really poor English. My girlfriend ordered plaice off the bone and I ordered lamb, which had an extra €5 supplement to the €40 set menu. The plaice was delivered to the table on the bone and carved in front of us on a trolley. The fish was really poorly presented and rather tasteless. My lamb was really small. It was basically two large cutlets and accompanied by liver and a stew with a poor side order of mash+veg. The real disappointing aspect was the price we had to pay. Wine €22 Set menu+supplement €45 Fish €20 Total €87. This was quite expensive for the quality we got. The staff also made two errors on our bill, charging us €97 first and for the wrong main course. We were extremely disappointed afterward. I think it's the first time I refused to tip staff. I don't like being so critical of staff in hotels but I counted at least three other parties who had issues with their meal.
The saving grace for our evening was the bar afterward. There was a stunning two piece band that played acoustic music for 2 hours. The bar staff were of a different class completely to those in the restaurant. We really enjoyed that part of the evening. I must also commend the breakfast buffet. There was a wide variety of cereals and breads. It was quite nice.
If you're looking for a romantic get away with stunning views this is the hotel for you... just eat in one of the many restaurants in Killarney rather than the hotel!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stretch47
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest thank you for taking the time to post a review for our hotel on Trip advisor. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and I’m glad that you felt the hotel was cosy and that the staff made you feel welcome. Thank you also for your kind comments regarding your room the Jacuzzi baths and balconies are indeed a big hit with our guests. We feel that there is no nicer feeling to waking up and pulling back the curtains to the view that awaits you outside. I’m sorry to hear that you were not happy with your meal in the Castlelough restaurant. I will be discussing this review with Paul our head chef and Emanuele our restaurant manager and taking any follow up action necessary. We appreciate all guest feedback be it good or bad as it’s the best way for us to continue to improve on the products and services that we offer to our guests so I appreciate you letting us know your opinion on your meal. I’m glad that you enjoyed the bar I will pass your comments on this area on to Steve and his team. I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has a feel of an old lake house. Its great and relaxing. During dinner, we saw a stag and two deer casually walking by the lake right outside. It was an experience that you wouldn't have at a hotel in town. But that's also it's downfall is that it's not walking distance to the town. You can't have it all I suppose so you need to decide which is the experice you're looking for. Having a lot of driving our trip and not a lot of exploring time, I personally would have liked a hotel in downtown Killarney but can't also can't complain about our choice of this hotel. The other patrons were about 25-60 years our senior (a guy at the bar's Irish music night was celebrating his 90th bday) which again made it quiet but also a little out of our 30-something age braket. Only other compalint is the shower-it took about 15 minutes for the water to get even warm and the water pressure is weak. All that said, it is a lovely hotel, the staff is very helpful with planning good ideas for stops on driving the ring of Killarney, the wildlife at dinner was great, and the grounds are beautiful.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Guest,
I hope you had a safe trip home after your holiday to Ireland. Thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review of our hotel and thank you for choosing the lake hotel for your holiday. All of our guests are talking about the deer at the moment they are just a pleasure to watch we have lots of photos on our facebook page at the moment should you like to take a look. We are about a 30 minute walk to town or 5 minutes by taxi so we feel that our guests get the best of both worlds during their stay as they can wake up to the deer running through the early morning mist and the wonderful vista of the lake and mountains and yet be in town in five minutes should they desire. I’m sorry that you had an issue with your shower during your stay and I will be following this up with our maintenance team to ensure that this problem will not happen again. Thank you for all your kind comments regarding the food and the team here at the hotel I will pass these on to them. Once again thank you for this lovely review and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

uk res
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

This has got to be the best hotel in Killarney! The rooms all face the lake which is 50-100 metres away. Red Deer regularly patrol the lakeside.
The rooms were all well appointed and the beds confortable. The bar was cosy and the live music added to the ambiance.
My only downside comment was the size of the food portions...TOO BIG! The food was very well cooked.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kattyukres
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely warm review about the Lake Hotel. I’m glad that you got the opportunity to see the deer during your visit they do add that extra special touch to the place and we are being treated to great displays at the moment as it is rutting season. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the rooms and the bar I will pass those on to our team here at the hotel. I will pass your comments regarding the food on to Paul and his team in the kitchen for their information. Once again thank you for posting such a complimentary review and I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the lake again soon.

Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversary by spending a few days at the Lake hotel in Killarney. We enjoyed it so much and would have loved to stay longer. It is such a cosy, comfortable, old world hotel. The staff were so welcoming and made sure that we had everything we needed during our stay.Our room was spacious with a beautiful view of the lake and castle ruins. There was a separate sitting area with a comfy sofa and chairs. The lighting is excellent -- so important if you are an avid reader like me! Though the hotel is old, the maintenance is excellent and the bathrooms are ultra modern--- ours had a jacuzzi bath and separate shower. Food was good with breakfast until 10.30 each morning. Wifi is available in the public areas-- better on ground floor than in library. We look forward to returning again when finances allow!

Room Tip: Lake view room if you can book well in advance of your visit. These rooms are usually booked up firs...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Kerryman_7, General Manager at Lake Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Guest,

Firstly congratulations on your wedding anniversary and thank you for choosing to spend this special occasion at the Lake Hotel. I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope that the occasion was made feel all the more special by spending it here. Thank you for your comments regarding our team here at the hotel which I will pass on to them. Our staff love to play a part in making our guests feel welcome and relaxed while at the hotel and making sure that all their needs are catered for. I’m glad that you were happy with the lighting throughout the hotel and I hope that you had the time to visit our own in house guest library during your visit which is a great place to spend a few hours with a good book. We also have two computers with free internet access for guests use located in the library. Thank you also for your comments regarding the food I will pass these on to Paul and his team in the kitchen. Once again thank you for your kind comments and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

Stayed for only one night at the Lake Hotel in October as part of a short tour around Ireland. The hotel was fabulous. I usually steer clear of "old-fashioned" hotels but the quality of this hotel is superb while retaining its cosy character. The rooms were awesome - lake view, with a balcony and a jacuzzi bath. We had an evening meal in the bar and the food and service was excellent. The breakfast was lovely too and the setting of the restaurant looking onto the lake is gorgeous. Definitely recommended!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a lake view superior room. It's worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post such a complimentary review about our hotel. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our rooms and in room facilities, the Jacuzzi baths are indeed a big hit with our guests. Thank you also for your comments regarding our restaurant and bar foods I will pass these on to Paul and his team in the kitchen and Emanuele and his team in the restaurant. Hearing that guests were happy with the products and services that were provide motivates us to continue to improve on what we offer to our guests. This year our family is celebrating 100 years in the Irish Hospitality industry and we are proud to continue the tradition of a warm Irish welcome and a home away from home feeling for our guests during their stays with us. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to the Lake in the near future.
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

If you can,stay during the red deer rut during October.They often walk right past your window! To hear them roaring in the night is an unforgetable experience. Lovely hotel,in superb grounds. The owner is himself very interested in wildlife,and will give usefulinformation on visiting the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the lake.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Just a quick note to thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review about our hotel. Nothing gives us greater pleasure then knowing that our guests are leaving happy with the products and services that were offered to them during their stay. I‘m glad that you got the opportunity to see the deer during your visit as they are just fascinating to watch at the moment as they are in the rutting season. Thank you for your very kind comments about the hotel and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family back again in the near future.