“Combination of excellent and poor” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Killarney Park Hotel

The Killarney Park Hotel
Ranked #3 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Cork Ireland
“Combination of excellent and poor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

We have often read reviews of hotels and thought people reviewing have been a little harsh or have very high expectations. We recently stayed at this excellent hotel and experienced very bad service in the bar. I sent the following e-mail to the manager and they did not have the courteousy to reply to it.

As a fellow manager in a business serving the public,  I thought it important to give you some feedback on our stay last Saturday.
Firstly the initial impressions of the common areas and our welcome from the reception staff were excellent, the manor in which we were shown our room and the room itself were also excellent.
We decided to have a bite to eat in the bar and were served by a young gent who was quite nervous, aggitated, lacked awareness and was hard to understand.
We were seated behind a tv that had the volume turned off which was fine until just before our food arrived (approx 45 mins later)  when the waiter turned the volume up quite high.
I asked to be moved and was told that it would not be possible as the empty tables were reserved for expected guests. I then asked to cancel the food and was told it was on its way. Not wanting to create a scene I just accepted this ( I was also hungry and it was the first Saturday off work this year so hassle was the last thing on the agenda). My food was very greasy, but as mentioned earlier I was very hungry so I just ate it as quick as possible to get away from the loud tv as soon as possible.
I went to the bar counter to pay as our waiter was unaware we had finished. I voiced my concerns to the man behind the bar,  he said he was sorry but there was nothing he could do about it.
I went to reception after to collect my car keys  and I informed them I was unhappy with the service and food in the bar, they apologized on behalf of the staff in the bar.
We were planning to dine in the hotel restaurant that evening but changed our plans based on our earlier experience.
We ordered ice to the room and the lady who delivered it was one the most courteous and polite people I've ever encountered.
When we returned from our meal we decided to give the bar a second chance and have a drink before we retired to our room, we were served by another young man who was inexperienced and had to be helped by an older man who stepped in when he saw him struggling.

We received great value and service from all with exception to the bar staff where we feel heavily short changed.
I really believe our stay would have been outstanding had we avoided the bar and would like to say thanks to all the other staff that made everything else very enjoyable.( including Sheila Marie who was very informative and helpful when making the booking).

Kind Regards

Do stay here, it is very nice, avoid the bar at all costs and don't expect the manager to acknowledge any shortfalls and you won't be disappointed

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank goju
KPHManager, General Manager at The Killarney Park Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.
I am very sorry that your experience in our Garden Bar did not meet your expectations and would welcome the opportunity to restore your confidence in our service levels. I certainly don't want you to be under the impression that you feedback is not valued and acknowledged. I did respond to your direct email at 10.42 on 6th feb but your review of 7th feb states you didn't receive my response so I will also send a hard copy by post to you.
Thank you for choosing Killarney Park Hotel for your weekend break and I hope you will consider returning some time in the future.
Yours sincerely,
Niamh O'Shea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Had the most wonderful stay here in January. First class treatment all the way from start to finish, there is nothing you can say negatively it is just fantastic. Even with grey wet weather it is just fab. I cannot recommend it highly enough & do not miss out on the amazing spa.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

In fairness I've reviewed this hotel before. I'm driven to review again to emphasize how there are few hotels to compare with the Killarney Park for sheer coziness comfort staff attention and general ambience. And food. Bar very homely and cosy too. Did I say the staff are fabulous?

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful two night stay in the Killarney Park. Everything about our weekend was outstanding.
*The staff were so welcoming and courteous
*The surroundings were so comfortable and relaxing
*The room (upgraded to a suite) was exceptional - could have stayed in the wonderful bed all day. And could have slept all day too as the room layout resulted in minimal noise from corridor.
*The breakfast was excellent - food, service and surroundings all exceeded expectations - really didn't want to leave!
*Didn't use leisure center or spa but my husband said these facilities were great.

Thus was a wonderful 5 star experience, full of extra little touches and I would highly recommend it

Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Lovely hotel that has a homely feel to it. Staff were excellent and the one or two issues I had upon arrival were promptly dealt with. Small hotel and might not have the wow factor that some 5 star hotels have but that it is off set by being right in the heart of Killnarney.

• Stayed January 2013
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon and were very happy with our room and the hotel in general. The suite was very good, and all the facilities and amenities met our expectations. It was in a very good location. We used the pool which was warm and relaxing. We enjoyed relaxing in the lounges in front of the fire. We found the hotel staff to be helpful. We would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tipperary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Couldn't rate this hotel high enough, staff are so friendly and helpful, service is exceptional, decor and ambiance is so relaxing and inviting. Food is fabulous, hotel is centrally located, great for parking up the car and strolling around the streets of Killarney, will definitely make a return visit!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple