“Worth the Visit”

Ring of Kerry Private Tour from Kenmare
Ranked #4 of 111 things to do in Killarney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Muckross House, Gardens, and Traditional Farms represent the focal point and nucleus of Killarney National Park. This is Ireland's oldest National Park, and it includes the world famous Lakes of Killarney, as well as the mountains and woodlands that surround them. Muckross and Killarney National Park are open daily all year round (expect the Christmas period). Please refer to website for more details on opening times & prices.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Really enjoyed my tour of this historic home. Fun activity to do while in Killarney. Muckross is in the National Park which makes for beautiful scenery and grounds.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,995)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I visited Muckross House in Feb, so it wasn't exactly dandy weather. Having said that, I was in heaven shooting the grounds (sometimes winter is the best time to see the "bones" of a garden) and walking to the Torc Waterfalls (a jaunty cart will take you there as well - that looked like fun but I wanted the exercise.) The estate is huge, and rests upon a lake with an old boat house. You'll see the locals walking the trails that wind through and toward the mountains. I didn't tour the home because I ran out of time, but I'll catch it on my next trip. Touring the grounds is free. Don't miss the shop and eatery - I found two stunning scarfs that will always remind me of this very special place...

2  Thank IntegrityMatters52
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Thanks goodness we had a funny your guide as we had quite the wait before it started. We unfortunately arrived along with a large group of traveling students who went ahead of us. But our tour guide made up for it by giving us a great deal of information about the house and it's former owners. The house is well preserved and the history behind it is interesting. The grounds are beautiful and my husband enjoyed taking pictures. Killarney is also a beautiful drive and it us definitely worth going that way to visit the Muckross House.

1  Thank Jemom68
Reviewed February 25, 2013

A great stop in Killarney National Park and well worth visiting if you're in Killarney for a few days. Walking around the gardens themselves are more than enough though... no need to pay for admission to the house itself.

2  Thank USCTrojansFan23
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Superb house and parkland in Lakeland setting.Lovely walk. House closed earlier than advertised though so missed tour inside.