“What a shame - lovely restaurant, woefully let down by the service staff.”
Review of The Smokehouse

The Smokehouse
Ranked #31 of 183 Restaurants in Killarney
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Irish, European
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dublin, Ireland
“What a shame - lovely restaurant, woefully let down by the service staff.”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

My fiance and I went to the Smokehouse in July of 2010.
The initial vibe of the place was exactly what we like: chilled out atmosphere with a funky twist.
I should also mention that we talked to the owner/manager who seemed extremely nice & attentive. He even came over to chat when he found out that my fiance was vegetarian and asked for feedback on the vegetarian options on the menu.
However, the manager heads off at 10ish leaving the restaurant in the hands of the service staff - and that's where things totally fall apart.
I have NEVER experienced such a low standard of service as I have in the Smokehouse. As soon as the manager leaves the staff make themselves coffees and sit out at the front door, light up cigarettes and chat with whatever mates happen to walk past.
No exaggeration, we were ignored for over an hour, untiI I had to interrupt the chit-chat to demand the bill - even though we originally wanted dessert & coffees.
I would have liked to e-mail the manager about this as I feel he has no idea of the goings on behind his back, but their doesn't appear to be a website or e-mail address for feedback.
Overall, I feel so disappointed as I really appreciate the effort the manager is putting into this place, only to be let down by shameful service staff.

Madrid, Spain
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can you open one of these in Madrid? I LOVED it!!!”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We were over in Ireland for a few weeks in August and a local recommended that we try this restaurant during our stay in Killarney. I really enjoyed it. It´s quirkey, fast, lively and to top it all off... the food was delicious!!! I love how casual everything is and the decor is so different and has a ´lived in´, ´sit back and get comfortable´, familiar feel and yet it´s completely different from the run of the mill restaurant ´fit´. Even though the place was full the staff were happy, attentive and charming. I´m already looking forward to another visit if I´m over there again. Really, if you want something that tastes good but doesn´t have a ´stuffy´atmosphere and is great value you can´t go wrong here.

clonmel
“chilled out ,laid back, excellent food”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

we visited the smoke house lasy night,lovelly menu,very reasonable priced, cool staff and thefiid was 10 out of 10.. goining back thete tonight...

dublin
“Great Food”
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Went to this restaurant during a stay in Killarney- atmosphere was very relaxed and the food was great... Had crab claws and must say that these were the nicest that I ever had; only drawback was the mess of I made of my face!!
Would recommend this for a relaxing non-fussy meal with wonderful food.

kildare
“great atmosphere and simple good food”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

on my weekend in killarney i came across this very charming little restaurant, where you could just relax and take it easy. some of the decor might not to everyones taste, but in times where everything starts to look the same (clinical or try to be posh) its nice to get a feeling of "real". the food is simple, but was oh so tasty, one of the best steaks i had in a long time, my wife had the surf n turf witch was also just so good. combine casual service a "cool" interior and very good food for very reasonable prices. LOVE IT !! thanks so much will be back soon