“Great Food”

Ranked #39 of 193 Restaurants in Killarney
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Last week I went to The Smokehouse for lunch with my best friends. I had a great main which was steak which was cooked to my liking. The wine list was good and the reds had a great selection within it. Staff were very friendly especially David H and Oceania. if there was to be any complaint it would be that there are no desserts. Desserts could be bought in from a local bakery. It would be wise to mention that there was no option of a dessert as we would have had a starter. Think smart. It doesn't take much to make a dessert a simple cheesecake or apple crumble or Etonian mess. These can be made easily.

1  Thank Kevin M

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Quirky and different decor. The menu was a bit limited to a few dishes but what we got was very well done. My husband got the surf and turf which he really enjoyed and I got the burger which was also very tasty. All in all, 2 mains 2 glasses of wine and a cappuccino for €35, not too bad at all.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My friend and I went in there as the rain was pelting down and we needed the shelter. I was so happy we did! The service was great, the food was amazing. We opted for two starters each and they were delicious!I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. I am getting married in Killarney in 7 months time and will definitely be making a return trip.
The atmosphere is great and the general vibe of the place was a little quirky but definitely all part of the charm. In short - Go there!

1  Thank Ker_schnum
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Went here on a Wednesday night - restaurant had 2 other patrons - so not busy in the least. From the moment we walked in we were ignored and made to feel like we were putting the waitress out by being here. Perhaps she needed some advice such as:
- when someone first walks into the restaurant - don't ignore them and go back to cleaning the table
- don't take 10 minutes to bring over menus & then another 10 minutes to come back to see if we'd even like some water
- make inappropriate comments such as "if you don't like the wine.. well too bad - no-one ever says anything anyway"
- bring the bill over and then make us wait another 10 minutes - so in the end I have to walk up the bar where you are standing texting and talking to the kitchen staff so I can pay.

The only thing that saves this restaurant is the food - steak was cooked well and to our liking and the entrée of fried brie was delicious.

I would never go back here - there is no excuse for rude/lazy behaviour from staff.

1  Thank Kelli131
Reviewed November 30, 2012

This restaurant has quite a young and trendy decor to it but on the night we ate here the diners were of every age. When we entered the restaurant it will a little confusing, there were no waiters on the floor and no-one came to seat us, a suggestion would to be to have a "wait here to be seated" sign just inside the entrance.

Apart from that we enjoyed every bit of our meal here. Our starters were both delicious, my wife had the jumbo prawns and I had the chowder. We had steak and duck for mains, all cooked really nicely and just like we asked, the chips were especially nice too. The desserts were a little limited which might not suit some people, but in our opinion they were a really nice finish to our meal. You have option of a number of jarred creamed desserts, we both choose the white and milk chocolate mousse which was really smooth and creamy.

The prices were quite reasonable and we would be happy to return and eat here again.