“Food is tasty but the service is almost nonexistant”
Review of The Smokehouse

The Smokehouse
Ranked #34 of 186 Restaurants in Killarney
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Limerick, Ireland
“Food is tasty but the service is almost nonexistant”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I first ate at this restaurant in June, and I was really impressed with the staff and the food. However, recently I returned to this restaurant and I was really disappointed with the standard of hygeine and the staff that were working there. The staff were totally different for the first time I ate there, they appear to have no interest in their work and athough they were pleasant they left us waiting for ages, even though the restaurant was very quiet.Our food was tasty, but very slow to arrive as there was a mix up with our order. We left after paying for our main course and have our desserts and coffee in a nearby cafe.

• Visited September 2012

London, United Kingdom
“Great food, average service”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We came here for tappas before moving on for dinner to somewhere else. The wait for 4 starters was very long and the restaurant was quite cold. The server didn't seem to know much about the food or drinks on the menu. All in all it was a cool place with a creative menu but the service was somewhat lacking.

Visited September 2012
Dublin
“Very Average”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I don't think I will be going back to The Smokehouse and I spend a lot of time in Killarney. There are 2 reasons and neither of them is the food, even though the food is fairly average too.

I was there last week with a friend for brunch. I found the service very very average and the place quite dirty. There was a little ledge on the wall beside me and it was very dusty and dirty. That straight away would turn anyone of their food. It is such a small detail to dust and clean a restaurant. The waitress was grand but we had to ask for menu's to be told they are written on a tin on the table. That is fine but it was if we were expected to know that. And really she looked like she was just there because she had to be but really didn't want to be.

I had the scrambled egg with mushrooms and my friend had the breakfast sandwich. These are not dishes that are hard to get right and they were really just okay.

They would need to brush up their act (and the floor!).

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank JanefromDublin
Laguna Niguel, California
“Unexpectedly good”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We just sort of stumbled into this little restaurant on the main street in Killarney and ended up having a great meal. I had the vegetable tangine which was scrumptious and a salad with fresh figs and feta cheese, also excellent. My friend had a pureed vegetable soup, another winner.
The service is a bit on the casual side but our meal came in a fairly timely manner and our overall experience was a good one.
I would definitely return to this restaurant. Saw the bad reviews. Maybe the non-meat items are better-?

• Visited September 2012
Ireland
“Outside menu promises more than reality”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

When I saw 'scallops and samphire' on the outside menu I was sold. However the reality was a bit dissappointing. They were quite greasy (too much garlic butter). Having said that I cleared my plate. I was looking forward to the steak as a main course. The meat was sourced from the butchers next door so I had high expectations. I know rib-eye can sometimes be tough but this was very sinewy. There was not a peppery flavour in the pepper sauce. The potato and salad were good though. I thought €34 was expensive for two courses with NO wine. Decor a little tired as well. My server was lovely though.

• Visited October 2012