“Unexpectedly good”

Ranked #44 of 190 Restaurants in Killarney
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We just sort of stumbled into this little restaurant on the main street in Killarney and ended up having a great meal. I had the vegetable tangine which was scrumptious and a salad with fresh figs and feta cheese, also excellent. My friend had a pureed vegetable soup, another winner.
The service is a bit on the casual side but our meal came in a fairly timely manner and our overall experience was a good one.
I would definitely return to this restaurant. Saw the bad reviews. Maybe the non-meat items are better-?

Reviewed October 3, 2012

When I saw 'scallops and samphire' on the outside menu I was sold. However the reality was a bit dissappointing. They were quite greasy (too much garlic butter). Having said that I cleared my plate. I was looking forward to the steak as a main course. The meat was sourced from the butchers next door so I had high expectations. I know rib-eye can sometimes be tough but this was very sinewy. There was not a peppery flavour in the pepper sauce. The potato and salad were good though. I thought €34 was expensive for two courses with NO wine. Decor a little tired as well. My server was lovely though.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I just fell in love with the smokehouse the moment I entered the place. Such quirky decor with something in every corner to grab your attention. My favourite corner was the one with all the old style black and white photographs on the wall with short descriptions of each.

We had the Traditional Breakfast- which is not for the faint hearted! Everything was cooked really well and tasted great. The coffee was super! The ideas of the menus are just brilliant! There was just such a relaxing ambiance about the place- I could have been anywhere but yet the place had a unique 'Killarney-ness" to it, which was great!

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The carefully selected music was so good I could have sat there all day listening to it! I'll be back.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

So, this place was noted in our guide books and we passed by to browse the menu and it looked pretty good. After so much seafood we were ready for a good steak. The restaurant looked hip and cool -- seemed like a nice change of pace from the pub atmosphere.

We were barely greeted and we seemed like we were inconveniencing the guy that showed us to our table. Then, after about a minute with the menu, the guy (kid, really) comes by, "Ready to order?" Sheesh. Give us a minute to look at the menu.

Once we finally ordered, I had lots of time to watch the staff goofing off in the back of the restaurant though still very much in site of customers. One guy ate a yogurt, another girl eating bread and butter. They were texting on their phones. They just seemed really unprofessional. I started to get a very bad feeling -- but my husband calmed me down. Who cares if the servers are goofing off as long as the food tastes good. Ok. That's a good enough point.

Except, our medium rare steaks were far beyond medium rare. Definitely medium well. Argh. We paid a pretty decent chunk of money at a STEAK restaurant to get poorly cooked meat while the waitstaff slacked off. So, so annoying. I mean, it's been almost a week and I'm still pissed off that I spent money at this place. Bleh.

1  Thank fuzzypinkbunny
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This place has a great vibe. The playlist they use to provide ambiant music as you eat is amazing. It really enhances the whole dining experience. The staff are very nice, but inexperienced. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing, because it provided some free entertainment. The waitress arrived with our bottle of wine, which she struggled with all her might to open. I offered her help, but she said that she would get one of her colleagues to give her a hand. The second girl seemed to know her way around a bottle...at least until she heeved so hard on the cork that some of the wine flew out onto the floor. My partner had to bite his lip to keep from chuckling. When the waitress arrived to serve our entree of mussels, she marched up next to us, holding the plate, looked at me and said, "did you order mussels?". I had no sooner said yes, when plate was dropped onto the table infront of me, with a rather large thud, and without a word, the waitress disappeared as quickly as she'd come. My partner ordered the steak, which was good but cooked very rare, (he had asked for medium). I ordered the chicken with the blood pudding and roasted duck fat potatoes. The chicken and the blood pudding were devine, but the entire dish was marred by the thing I was most excited to eat! I am nearly 100% sure that those potatoes were re-heated in the microwave. They were dry, and with no crisp to them at all. That was very disappointing. The free entertainment and the great music made up for it though...so overall it was a pleasant experience.