“Great place to say in Killarney”
Review of Carranross House

Carranross House
Ranked #48 of 139 Killarney B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great place to say in Killarney”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Our stay at the Carranross House was great. Mary was a very welcoming host and offer great service. The pancakes at breakfast were so good! Very well located and easy access to the attractions and restaurants. We are highly recommended this place and will come back for sure when will return to Ireland!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My friends were in need of a B & B recommendation in Killarney - with so many to choose from I hoped my choice with Carranross House was the right way to go. It was more than the right choice! My friends were thrilled and very comfortable staying at this B & B. The owner, Mary, extended herself to their needs and made them feel more than welcome and at home. They were pleased with my recommendation and I'm pleased that they were so happy with their stay. Great B & B all the way around!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed September 27, 2013

While the parking area may be a bit dicey when Mary is full, other than that, wow - what a great stay. We met so many interesting people. Mary speaks fluent French. She is a most gracious host. Our room was spot on with a large bathroom and a big room and bed - just as she promised. The rate was right and there was a discount for an extended stay - we stayed 4 nights. Her dog is fun to play with and her daughter is a lovely young lady, delightful to talk with. Need directions to anywhere around, just ask Mary.
Be careful with the round-a-bout near by as folks don't like to yield. Aldi's is so near by to pick up snacks, water, fruit etc.
Mary let us eat our take out Chinese dinner in the dining room.
You can not go wrong while staying here - she is close to the major roads and the downtown area.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms!
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights.

Clean, comfortable, modern rooms, and the shower was the best we had for our whole trip. The bathroom had shower gel, shampoo and conditioner provided which was nicer than the toiletries I had brought with me!

The breakfast was delicious with a wide menu provided.

Mary used to be a tour guide so is very knowledgeable on where to go and what to see. The tour coaches can collect you and drop you back to the B&B which is very handy.

Good off street parking and the B&B is located in a very quiet area.

The B&B is about a 10-15 minute walk into the centre of town, and is also a short stroll to a Tesco. The bus/train station is close by also.

The WiFi was intermittent which Mary acknowledged and said she was going to upgrade by the end of September.

A very pleasant stay.

Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed two nights last week. Prompt helpful communications beforehand. Easy to find. Mary took the time to get to know us and orient us to the area as we arrived. Good tips on local dining and sights. Large room with comfortable queen-sized bed. Wide menu for breakfast, well prepared and presented. Nice to have protected off-street parking. Only problem was intermittent WiFi service, a problem we experience in many locations throughout our tour.

Mary O, Owner at Carranross House, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Richard,
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for your very kind review. We have recently upgraded to a more modern faster fibre broadband and are delighted with same! Thanks again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Our favorite B&B of our whole trip. Tidy, cute rooms with great showers. The service is great and the breakfast was delicious. Only a 10 minute walk from town centre. Mary is an excellent hostess-super friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I'm sure this B&B and Mary would be great, just wished she had honoured our confirmed room reservation we booked on booking.com. Mary gave up our room as we arrived later in the evening (11pm) after a very long drive from Galway.

Reason mentioned was an email was sent earlier in the evening which we didn't get as we were driving down to Killarney. If an email confirmation was required, it should've been requested at least prior day or sometime in the morning of our check in date for us to confirm we were on our way. Overall, Mary was very unsympathetic in giving up our room reservation during a very busy weekend in Killarney and left us stranded without a place to stay in Killarney that evening. We had read great reviews of this place, hence why we booked it, and were very disappointed on how we were treated by Mary after she let out our room earlier in the evening with very little remorse.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mary O, Owner at Carranross House, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear Serge C,
As you had not arrived by 6.30pm, I checked the reservation details to see if there were any remarks about late arrival but found none. People usually note this on the booking form provided by booking.com, but there was no mention of a late arrival. Booking.com confirmed to me by email afterwards that you had not mentioned a late arrival and apologised to me for this incident.
You made this booking 10 months prior, in October 2012. Another email confirmation was not necessary had you arrived at normal check in times but you when you plan to arrive outside of these hours it is standard practise to call your hosts and let them know when your estimated arrival time is.
At 6.30pm, I sent you an email to get an arrival time as I was starting to think that you might not show. I held onto the room for you until 10pm by which time I genuinely thought you were not coming and I was heading for bed myself at this time, as I have very early starts in the mornings. I heard nothing from you until you rang the doorbell at 11.15pm waking me from my sleep.
I am at a loss to understand as to why you did not contact me to let me know of your late arrival, as would be the normal practise by any guests arriving late. A simple email or phone call from you would have avoided this situation.