“BB - Never Again!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #135 of 145 Killarney B&B and Inns
nyc
“BB - Never Again!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

If you are use to comfort of hotels, think twice before doing this BB. We stayed at the down stairs apartment. Not being able to feel my toes is all i can remember from this experience! The apt was an ice box and to top that no one told us that there is a meter that needs to be fed every few hrs to have electricity flowing; at some point all electric shut down and thats how we found out!
The staff was very friendly but it's just not enough to get the chill of my bones out of mind :-(

• Stayed November 2013
5 Thank r n
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Hi there, thanks for leaving a review. You stayed with us Saturday night, we upgraded you from a family room to our apartment at no extra cost giving you a discount of €40. When you entered the apartment there were three electric heaters on full power. there was also a blaring fire which had been lit an hour before your arrival in the apartments lounge which heated an additional three solid fuel heaters in the apartment. I remember you telling me you found it cold which I found strange as when I went to checked the apartment I didn't find it so but I brought another full bucket of coal to use in the fire at no extra charge anyway. We gave you €6 complimentary to use in the meter which normally lasts but as all the lights were on in the bedrooms/ kitchen/ lounge and all heaters were on the meter did use the value of the money we added.

You paid €110 for 5 people in our apartment including breakfast, this is only €22 per person and for what you got I feel that this review is not a valid representation of what we offer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Limerick, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed in this bed and breakfast in Killarney as we were attending a wedding in a nearby hotel. I was expecting a very high standard based on their Facebook page and website.The pictures provided on these sites made this place look like 5 star accommodation!! Much to my disappointment this was definitely not the case!!
1. The room was totally old fashioned like something from back in the 1900's.
2. The en- suite did not have a proper door- it was a door on sliding hinges that didn't close properly.
3. When I pulled back the duvet a 'daddy long legs' greeted me with a smile.
4. The drain in the shower was totally blocked requiring assistance to unblock it.

The cost of staying in this bed and breakfast did not match the standards as outlined above.
Finally, on a positive note, I must say the staff in this establishment were both friendly and helpful.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank uryan
Dear past guest,

Thank you for leaving this review, I appreciate the feedback. We are not 5 star accommodation or a hotel and I wish to say that on here for the public to see, we don't pretend to be 5 star accommodation, at the rate of €35 Bed & Breakfast I would also assume you knew that for the price we aren't pretending to be a 5 star establishment. The photos we provide online are photos we take that we feel best represent the Guesthouses assets. We are continually in the process of updating all our bedrooms and every week they are improving. Last week we painted them all adding a feature wall to each room of a different warm colour.

The majority of guests tell us they love the place and I was told just yesterday by a guest that our photos don't do us any justice in displaying how great they think the house is so I suppose it is a matter of opinion. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and what I will say to future people reading this looking to book, please phone us and ask about any queries you may have about the premises and what facilities we offer to make sure the Guesthouse is what you are looking for so as not to be disappointed.

We really do feel that what we offer is extremely competitively priced for the market and we are very proud of how far the Guesthouse has come and how far it will go. There are quite a lot of negative reviews on here and I wish to state that Tripadvisor reviews are not an accurate representation of our feedback, for example if you were to view our reviews on AirBNB, we have received 78 5 star reviews in the last 5 months, if you were the view of Facebook page we are rated 4 our of 5 stars from 1,700 ratings this year alone.

Warm Regards.

Travelers are raving about these Killarney hotels

co Down
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Lovely setting, river views great even in darker autumn days. Very handy for entertainment in Gleneagle Hotel,a few minutes walk away. The room was clean and the Irish breakfast excellent.
Without being intrusive, Margaret, who was on hand booked a tour for me and also guided me on other things to see locally.
There is a large Lounge , with a real fire, and great river views.... all in all you cannot go wrong here...could have stayed longer !

Room Tip: All seem well set back from road, but river views especially good(L.H.side of building)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank brianpeirce
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear past guest,

I'm so so pleased to hear that you felt welcome as you were staying on your own and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you again in the future. You are welcome any time!

Warmest Regards
Shannon, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

This was an amazing weekend away. I stayed here 2 weeks ago. I thought the staff were brilliant, very accommodating and friendly, especially the contact person, Neil!

The room was incredible, we stayed in the apartment, which was modern, clean and spacious.

The breakfast the following morning was great, full Irish breakfast, but I have to make a shout out to the scones, delicious!!

The reception area was large and spacious, I felt so welcome and comfortable walking in, nearly like I was walking into a second home.

Looking for a place to go later in the evening, got great advice from the staff and very close to the hotel. It looks straight over the river which was great pictures for my friends back at home.

They didn't have a bar but were very accommodating for ice and glasses, and the free wifi was so fast and my Netflix downloaded within seconds.

Although it was close to town on a Saturday night, the b&b was quite and the beds were do comfy I drifted into a deep sleep straight away.

I would recommend this b&b/guesthouse to anyone who is staying in Killarney. I have lived in Ireland all my life, and have not received this much great service in5 star hotels.

I would stay here again and recommend to everyone.

Than you so much again for an amazing anniversary weekend with my husband.

Emma

Room Tip: The apartment was incredible, great views of the river and your own kitchen and lounge. I would defi...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Emmaduane15
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Dear past guest,

Thank you so much for your comments. We do try to create a relaxing and peaceful experience for our guests so it's lovely to hear that you think we are achieving that. I think our public areas - large lounge, kitchen and private patio for our apartment guests helps make a getaway that more relaxing because they have large private spaces to enjoy their tea and coffee! Hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were lucky (and very excited!!) to stay at the Killarney View House in September 2013 for a few days during our trip to Ireland. Had we not been meeting family members near Dublin, we would have stayed there longer. It's a wonderful place with an absolutely beautiful guest lounge that overlooks the river - I could spend a day in that lounge just enjoying the view. In the evening, there is a cozy fire in the fireplace and tea/coffee are always available for guests in the lounge. The breakfast room is lovely with lots of windows (very bright and welcoming) overlooking a lovely patio by the river. The food was wonderful - what a great way to start the day. Everyone we met on premises made us feel at home. From Margaret (who met us when we stopped by to see if we could stay there) to Kathleen who greeted us each morning and checked in whenever she saw us to see how we were enjoying our stay, it was great. Mary (the owner) made a point of stopping in the lounge to introduce herself and say hello while her son Neil was ever present and great fun to talk with as well as very helpful providing whatever information or service that was needed.
The location is great - right next to the river and it's wonderful to hear the clop, clop, clop of the jaunting carts in the morning as they make their way to the Muckross House, Torc Waterfall and other venues to which they travel. From this B&B, you can walk to practically anything you want to see in town if you so choose but they also have plenty of parking for those with cars. This truly is a great base to see southwest Ireland with easy access to Dingle Pennisula, the Ring of Kerry and even the Cobh museum south of Cork. By motorway it's only about an hour and a half’s drive (at most) from Limerick.
We stayed at this place previously and were disappointed a few years ago when they were remodeling during our 2011 trip to Ireland so we were unable to stay with them at that time. But we will definitely stay with them again whenever we get the chance. It's a wonderful place to make your home away from home while traveling in Ireland.
Please don't let any less than flattering information posted by others saying they think the bathrooms are too small or sleeping rooms not what they expected deter you from staying here. I promise you we slept well in our room and showered just fine in our bathroom thank you! Why spend all of your time in your room when you can get out and enjoy the great public spaces available to all their guests. If you take advantage of everything this B&B has to offer, you'll fall in love with this place like we did.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank IrishLass61
Dear past guest,

It was so lovely having you and your mother with us for your second stay. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review of Killarney View House and for the detailed comments you included. We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to meet you and your mother and we so look forward to welcoming you back again when you return to Killarney in the near future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed at this bb for 2 nights and it was with out a doubt the worse experience we had during our stay un ireland. When we entered, we were greeted and shown to our room. There was a musty, mildew smell through out the house, so strong that a scented candle they light can not mask. The Wifi strength was very poor and we could never connect in the lounge. We went to ask a worker for help with the wifi and they made comments about not understanding why the house didnt offer a better wifi reception or more than 3 channels on the tv. And then we saw the spiders. They were All over the halls...I had to walk with my arms glued to my sides fearing I would brush up against them. The spiders were there both days we stayed and there is no wsy nobody saw them! In every hotel and bb ive ever stayed in...if you want the sheets or towels changed, you leave it in the floor. So thats what I did with the dirty, stained sheet that was in my bed. That same dirty sheet was put back on the bed. No matter how nice that lounge is...I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013
7 Thank alannabug
Dear past guest,

I already left a detailed response to the friend you traveled with below. Also in regards to the sheet with the stain on it, I can assure you all our sheets are immaculately clean, every day our sheets are washed, dried, and ironed , if there was a stain on the sheet it must have gone unnoticed by housekeeping but I can assure you the sheet was clean. If you were not happy with the sheet, we would have been more than happy to change it for you if you made us aware that you were unhappy.

The reason the sheet was put back on the bed is because all beds are made while the guest is out and it would be assumed if the sheet was still in the room and no one had said please don't put that sheet back on the bed, than it will be put back.

All of the issues you raise in your review could have been resolved if you made us aware of them but as you decided to stay with us for a full 3 days and never mention anything and then leave this review it was of no benefit to you or to us.

Warm Regards.
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Upon walking into the house the overwhelming smell of mildew hit us. They were cleaning the carpet in one of the rooms so we shrugged it off. Owners son greeted us. He had no record of our reservation even though I booked it directly through their website. I gave him my copy and up to the room we went. The room smelled. We found 3 spiders in the bathroom. One of the sheets on the bed was stained so we left it on the floor. The next day it was put back on the bed. We closed the bathroom window because we felt the spiders came in here. The next day it was opened and a lot of little bugs were swarming the light in the bathroom. When leaving the next morning we saw ALL the spiders up on the ceilings in the hallway. We counted 24. This is inexcusable. There is no way an employee would not have seen these. When we came back that night our room smelled like a sewer. I don't know if something backed up in a room or what. I was missing the mildew smell! WIFI is bad here. Sometimes works in the lounge, but it is better by front door and then it only comes in as "poor". The advertising of this B&B always shows the lounge. I know why. It is the only nice thing about this place. What they don't tell you though is the lounge closes at 10pm and then the owners son and friends hang out in there. The owner never did introduce herself. There were no common courtesies that other B&B's have, such as giving you information about the town, sites etc. I would never stay here again and could not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank sharon s
Mary P G, Owners Son at Killarney View House, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Hi there,

This is Neil the owners son. I remember you and the two women you were with. I remember you came in a bad mood and as much as I tried to welcome you and chat and ask about your trip it didn't make a difference. I then made the gesture of carrying all your big heavy cases up the stairs to your room for you. I introduced you to my mother in our lounge who welcomed you warmly also I remember it clearly as she was having a cup of tea and she made a joke of "I'm drinking tea here to show the guests how to do it!"

I remember I brought you to your room and asked if everything was ok for you and you said yes and I then said if you needed any help at all with anything or wanted information on where to go or what to do to please come and find me, I also said to please make yourself feel welcome and come join me and my mother in the lounge for tea and scones which you didn't do. You just seemed to be angry no matter what I did or said.

In regards to the spiders, I understand that their may have been as we are right beside the river, it does happen. You never came to tell us about this, if you did we could have done something about it, if you leave your window open in the room with the light on while you are out it will attract insects anywhere. The smell of mildew when you came in the front door and in your room mystifies me, I have never smelt it, no guests have even mentioned it either. I know also that we light a scented candle in our reception area every morning also which by the time you checked in would have been the main scent. The smell of sewerage you speak of, their was silage being spread on farms that day, we have no control over that.

We all make an effort here to be so warm and welcoming to guests and go out of our way all the time to go above and beyond, driving guests ourselves in to town, even a few weeks ago a guest got her wallet stolen on the ring of kerry and to help her we gave her money ourselves, trusting she would give it back and as with you I carried your cases.

Also as for me sitting in the lounge at night with friends, this is not true, first of all I'm not from Killarney I only worked in the guesthouse at weekends during the summer so I do not have any friends there to hang out with and the reason the lounge does close at 10pm is so that the noise level in the house is not lounge is not loud when other guests are trying to sleep so it would defeat the purpose of it being closed if I selfishly did it for myself.

I do not know why you feel the need to leave this review, it mystifies me and it is quite hurtful to be honest but this is your opinion.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Ireland.

Neil