“Feels like a College Dorm”

Killarney View House
Ranked #131 of 140 Killarney B&B and Inns
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Feels like a College Dorm”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My room felt like my college dorm room from many years ago. Very tired and gloom feel. The doors to the bathrooms are sliding doors. There is a nice view of the river from the hotel and the village is about 10 minute walk away which is a plus. The staff was friendly but they were not the owners, just hired help, which gave it a bit of a commercial feel. Almost felt like a Red Roof Inn. Sorry, couldn't recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Raymond M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked our room the evening before arrival date and the website showed there were several rooms available, unfortunately when we arrived we realised there was no available room, the owner (Mary) was a very nasty lady and blamed the 'web company' for the double booking when I confronted her and told her it was her mistake for not removing her rooms as they were booked she said' I suppose so' she did not want to discuss this with us and all she wanted us to do was to leave her property as she was busy welcoming other guests. I asked her to find a room for us as this was a very busy weekend in Killarney, a worker on the premises 'Ann' came to our assistance and duly found us a room she was a very nice person and did apologise and understood that it was their mistake. The owner did not apologise all she cared about was getting in money and we did not matter. Avoid this place!!! We stayed in a house near by called 'Flesk Lodge' a lovely couple run this premises and were very welcoming they made our stay a plesant one and perhaps we were lucky that this mishap happened as I could not imagine us having a pleasant stay at' Killarnry View'

Room Tip: Make sure if you are booking this house that you book direct and get confirmation from them we booke...
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank irishtravelpro
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Irene,

Thanks for your review. You booked with a company called Orbitz, we had not yet blocked off availability when you booked. Orbitz supplies us with no contact details for guests so we had no way of getting in contact to tell you we were full. We did contact Orbitz customer support with the below e-mail:

"To whom it may concern,

Please cancel this booking as we have no availability. Please contact the guest immediately to inform them of the cancellation as we have no contact information for them.

Killarney View House"

There was no more we could do. When you arrived to the house you were irate, you told us you were going to destroy us on Tripadvisor, I couldn't understand why when we found you alternative accommodation before you had even arrived right next door for the same price? I was very busy with guests so Anne dealt with you, this situation happens all the time in every Guesthouse.

I also sent you an email sincerely apologising but I see you felt the need to take your frustration out on a public forum which is fine.

All the best,
Mary

Travelers are raving about these Killarney hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2013

No issues with reservation and price was very reasonable compared to all other B&Bs I could find. Location was perfect for us for a wedding in the Brehon.
I see other great reviews here so maybe there are some nicer/more modern rooms in this B&B but ours was very out dated and dull. The bathroom was like a partitioned piece of the room and was extremely small, TV was in a spot which would be almost impossible to watch from the bed. was relatively clean. Walls were thin we could hear people talking and moving suitcases in room next door and all the traffic on the landing from early morning.
overall very disappointed and won't be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

7 Thank rathkip
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Killarney View house is a decent B&B. Rooms were clean, if a bit dated and breakfast provided was good.

Main selling point were the Staff who were very helpful, We were down for annual Ring of Kerry Cycle and they got up early to ensure we and the other cyclists got a good breakfast. Like some other reviewers there seems to have been a problem with the price offered online compared to what they usually expect to charge - but the staff were happy to let us stay at the price we originally booked at anyway.

I'm giving the 4/5 rating based on the €30 pp charge we got online - any more than that I think would probably reduce the rating as although a good B&B it is a bit dated and lacks any other facilities so would be a bit overpriced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank KenHy
Dear past guest,

Thank you you so much for this review, I remember you staying with us, you booked back in with us for the motorbike rally again next year! :)

The Guesthouse is continually being improved, we are constantly refurbishing it as an ongoing project to make it more comfortable and add more facilities.

Thank you again for this positive review! :)

Mary Guerin (Owner)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 2, 2013

During the month of May 2013 I went on the Killarney View House website to book 2 nights B/B for around the end Sept 2013. When I put the dates on the booking page the price quoted was €35 per night, total 2 nights €70. As it was going to be a few months before I would be checking in I decided to ring the guest house to make sure that the booking would be accepted. When I rang, a woman answered the phone. I told her the dates that I wanted to stay & she confirmed the dates & price & said it would be fine. I said I would go back on line & book the reservation but she said there would be no need because she had put my name & phone # on her booking list & there was no need for a credit card booking at this time. (My mistake, I should have insisted on booking on line as you will see)
On the 8th August I decided to ring the Killarney View House to find out was my verbal booking, that I made in May still ok as it was awhile since I booked. I was happily told that my booking for the said dates & the price of €70 (because I asked again) was confirmed. The woman even quoted my phone number to me & she said she was looking forward to my arrival. I’m sure she said that with a smile.
AND THEN! On the 12th August I got the Greedy phone call. (You know the type of Greed that brought down the Irish economy. God help “The Gathering”). The woman on the other end said NO! The price I was quoted was a mistake it should have been €60 a night but as a good will gesture she would give it to me for the Ransom Sum of €50 a night. Amazing that is what I think. It took this person 3 to 4 months to decide that I was given the wrong quote despite the guest house web site telling me back in May that for 2 nights B/B at the end of Sept was €70! Now you know why I was told not to go back on line to book. (Electronic Proof that is what I needed. Now you also know why we need PCs) I was stung!
Even up the 8th August I was told the quote was €35 a night. What happened in 4 days that changed my life for ever? Did the proprietor of this Kerry establishment have a premonition that Kerry would be beaten in the All Ireland Semi-Finals by Dublin & decided in her own wisdom that she would make this Dublin fool pay for that defeat? I don’t think so, that would be too simple. It was as I said above a motivation of Greed & Overbookings. To end this comedy of errors I cancelled my booking, she will be disappointed I’m sure. As for the Kerry Football team take heart lads I know what defeat is, it’s a Muckross Road guest house.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank F D
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear past guest,

So sorry about this experience. This was a mistake made on our side and we take full responsibility. I would like to offer to refund you the difference of the price you were supposed to pay originally.

Sorry again about this, we had the wrong rates up at the start of the year which was our fault, staff got confused and must have not known you were charged that rate.

Warmest Regards,
Mary (Owner)
Dublin
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I am getting married in a couple of weeks in Killarney and a number of my guests booked this guest house as it was affordable and across the road from the wedding venue. I am horrified to learn that after they booked their rooms at the agreed price of 35 euro a number of months ago they were called by the manager of the Killarney View Hotel to inform them that the price has now gone up to 50 euro per night!!! This is an absolute disgrace and I am disgusted that this has happened. I had a number of American relatives also booking there and they have decided not to do so, I would be embarrassed by the greedy nature of these people running this guesthouse.
We are reporting this to the Tourist board and also the commumer association of Ireland.
I wouldnt waste my time here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Sinead_Harold
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I am so bewildered by this, the most we ever charge is €40pps in peak season (June, July, August) and €35 the rest of the year ... Who are you, when are you supposedly coming, what wedding party, who were you dealing with, why did you never contact us about this and why is this the first we have ever heard of it.

Also there is no hotel across from us.
Kerrykeel, Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Have just spent two nights there could not recommend it -rooms only adequate - no hot water in the evening - ran out of bread for breakfast- charged different rates than those quoted cash only accepted ! Staff pleasant but manager/owner most unpleasant -other family members stayed in a different b+b cheaper , beautiful spacious rooms and more substantial breakfast given - will never stay there again

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sullivan1111
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
The above review is fabricated. We have no record of a guest in August under the name of Sullivan. This review was not filtered by TripAdvisor staff and is a representation of Tripadvisor standards of service not our standard of service. Our Guesthouse has 2 immersions and a brand new one was installed last month so for there to be no hot water in the evening is not a possibility.

This so called reviewer has only just created the account and made this one review only which shows the account has no merit or credibility. Also for a guest to say "a different b+b is cheaper with beautiful spacious rooms and more substantial breakfasts given - will never stay there again", this just screams a fake review from a competing guesthouse.