“Good B&B to stay at the price with friendly staff.”

Killarney View House
Ranked #131 of 139 Killarney B&B and Inns
“Good B&B to stay at the price with friendly staff.”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Killarney View house is a decent B&B. Rooms were clean, if a bit dated and breakfast provided was good.

Main selling point were the Staff who were very helpful, We were down for annual Ring of Kerry Cycle and they got up early to ensure we and the other cyclists got a good breakfast. Like some other reviewers there seems to have been a problem with the price offered online compared to what they usually expect to charge - but the staff were happy to let us stay at the price we originally booked at anyway.

I'm giving the 4/5 rating based on the €30 pp charge we got online - any more than that I think would probably reduce the rating as although a good B&B it is a bit dated and lacks any other facilities so would be a bit overpriced.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank KenHy
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear past guest,

Thank you you so much for this review, I remember you staying with us, you booked back in with us for the motorbike rally again next year! :)

The Guesthouse is continually being improved, we are constantly refurbishing it as an ongoing project to make it more comfortable and add more facilities.

Thank you again for this positive review! :)

Mary Guerin (Owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 2, 2013

During the month of May 2013 I went on the Killarney View House website to book 2 nights B/B for around the end Sept 2013. When I put the dates on the booking page the price quoted was €35 per night, total 2 nights €70. As it was going to be a few months before I would be checking in I decided to ring the guest house to make sure that the booking would be accepted. When I rang, a woman answered the phone. I told her the dates that I wanted to stay & she confirmed the dates & price & said it would be fine. I said I would go back on line & book the reservation but she said there would be no need because she had put my name & phone # on her booking list & there was no need for a credit card booking at this time. (My mistake, I should have insisted on booking on line as you will see)
On the 8th August I decided to ring the Killarney View House to find out was my verbal booking, that I made in May still ok as it was awhile since I booked. I was happily told that my booking for the said dates & the price of €70 (because I asked again) was confirmed. The woman even quoted my phone number to me & she said she was looking forward to my arrival. I’m sure she said that with a smile.
AND THEN! On the 12th August I got the Greedy phone call. (You know the type of Greed that brought down the Irish economy. God help “The Gathering”). The woman on the other end said NO! The price I was quoted was a mistake it should have been €60 a night but as a good will gesture she would give it to me for the Ransom Sum of €50 a night. Amazing that is what I think. It took this person 3 to 4 months to decide that I was given the wrong quote despite the guest house web site telling me back in May that for 2 nights B/B at the end of Sept was €70! Now you know why I was told not to go back on line to book. (Electronic Proof that is what I needed. Now you also know why we need PCs) I was stung!
Even up the 8th August I was told the quote was €35 a night. What happened in 4 days that changed my life for ever? Did the proprietor of this Kerry establishment have a premonition that Kerry would be beaten in the All Ireland Semi-Finals by Dublin & decided in her own wisdom that she would make this Dublin fool pay for that defeat? I don’t think so, that would be too simple. It was as I said above a motivation of Greed & Overbookings. To end this comedy of errors I cancelled my booking, she will be disappointed I’m sure. As for the Kerry Football team take heart lads I know what defeat is, it’s a Muckross Road guest house.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank F D
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear past guest,

So sorry about this experience. This was a mistake made on our side and we take full responsibility. I would like to offer to refund you the difference of the price you were supposed to pay originally.

Sorry again about this, we had the wrong rates up at the start of the year which was our fault, staff got confused and must have not known you were charged that rate.

Warmest Regards,
Mary (Owner)

Travelers are raving about these Killarney hotels

Dublin
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I am getting married in a couple of weeks in Killarney and a number of my guests booked this guest house as it was affordable and across the road from the wedding venue. I am horrified to learn that after they booked their rooms at the agreed price of 35 euro a number of months ago they were called by the manager of the Killarney View Hotel to inform them that the price has now gone up to 50 euro per night!!! This is an absolute disgrace and I am disgusted that this has happened. I had a number of American relatives also booking there and they have decided not to do so, I would be embarrassed by the greedy nature of these people running this guesthouse.
We are reporting this to the Tourist board and also the commumer association of Ireland.
I wouldnt waste my time here.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Sinead_Harold
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
I am so bewildered by this, the most we ever charge is €40pps in peak season (June, July, August) and €35 the rest of the year ... Who are you, when are you supposedly coming, what wedding party, who were you dealing with, why did you never contact us about this and why is this the first we have ever heard of it.

Also there is no hotel across from us.
Kerrykeel, Ireland
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Have just spent two nights there could not recommend it -rooms only adequate - no hot water in the evening - ran out of bread for breakfast- charged different rates than those quoted cash only accepted ! Staff pleasant but manager/owner most unpleasant -other family members stayed in a different b+b cheaper , beautiful spacious rooms and more substantial breakfast given - will never stay there again

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sullivan1111
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
The above review is fabricated. We have no record of a guest in August under the name of Sullivan. This review was not filtered by TripAdvisor staff and is a representation of Tripadvisor standards of service not our standard of service. Our Guesthouse has 2 immersions and a brand new one was installed last month so for there to be no hot water in the evening is not a possibility.

This so called reviewer has only just created the account and made this one review only which shows the account has no merit or credibility. Also for a guest to say "a different b+b is cheaper with beautiful spacious rooms and more substantial breakfasts given - will never stay there again", this just screams a fake review from a competing guesthouse.
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I booked this house a couple of weeks ago through a facebook offer!I gave my phone number&credit card details to the receptionist and thought that would suffice. On arrival I was told they had no booking for me!!!!!!When I asked to speak to owner I found her extremely rude and unprofessional, when I questioned how they didn't have my booking she told me she tried ringing me to confirm my booking but could not contact me so they gave away the room,but in the next instance she told me they could not find my booking or credit card details!!it was all a bit odd to be honest,I think they gave away my room to a full paying customer as Killarney was very busy that weekend. I also said it looks nothing like the pictures and I was told if I wanted 5 STAR SERVICE I should go stay in a 5 star hotel!!!What kind of attitude is that to have in the hospitality industry!?! I DEFINITELY would not advise anyone to stay here, plenty of better&friendlier places to stay in Killarney.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
9 Thank denash17
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Killarney View House.

Your comment is important to us, as we always aim at delivering an ultimate experience for every guest.

I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. I have noted your comment and dissatisfaction regarding us not having a record of your booking on your arrival. Please note that maintaining the privacy of our valued guests is of utmost importance to us. Therefore once it was noticed by our reservations team that there was a double booking, your credit card details were removed from our system for security purposes.

I also regret to hear that you were unsatisfied with speaking to me, I always treat all guests with the utmost respect and I am surprised you interpreted our discussion in a different way than I did. The guest-house is extremely popular, especially in peak season, therefore as you would have read in your confirmation e-mail, we always advise our guests to phone the house if they will be arriving later than 6pm on the day of check-in, I could not get through to your phone and waited until 10pm, when we had not heard from you we did not think you would be coming. As we are a Guest-house, not a hotel, we do not have a 24 hour reception desk.

Regarding the behaviour of some of my staff, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience. I have personally looked in this matter and communicated with all members of staff and no one recalls this situation or ever saying anything of this manner. All our staff are highly trained to guarantee that all our guests are fully satisfied with the service.

I have also noted your comments regarding our photos. Kindly note, that our photos are in line with how the Guesthouse looks in reality and that all new photos were professionally taken this year. We feel that we offer excellent value, given our unique location and hospitality. However, in your case it appears that we failed to meet your expectations, and I would like to sincerely apologise for that.

I would like to thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting Killarney View House in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Killarney View House is renowned for.

Yours sincerely,

Mary Guerin
Owner
seoul
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The ladies were amazingly friendly and accomodating. Their breakfast was really delicious. The lake view from the lounge area with fireplace was charming. Free coffee, tea, cookies were provided in the lounge. They cleaned the room everyday. But I have somewhat mixed feelings about the place. The distance from the city center was a bit inconvinient for me as i didn't have own transportation. 1.8 km from the train/bus station, 1.2-1.5km from the city center where most restaurants and bars are located. The room facility was basic. No slippers, no hair dryer, though hair dryer was available upon request. The closet was a bit worn out and stained, but it can be justified by their lower than average price. I also found 3 big insects in the room during my stay, it might be inevitable due to its close proximity to the park and lake if you open the window. Wifi was not available in the room. In all, if you have own transportation, or plan to have a day tour everyday, this place would be a good budget choice. If you want to spend more time in the city center and the park, somewhere in the center would be more convenient (park pedestrian entrance is near the city center.)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sojin K
Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for your lovely positive comments but I am disappointed that you had aspects you did not enjoy during your stay.

We are situated on the main Muckross Road in Killarney and we are the only Guesthouse in Killarney right on their own river. The location is superb and we are constantly praised for it, it is what puts the "View" in our name Killarney View House.

As we are in close proximity to the river, Daddy Long Legs, (spiders) and other insects at nightfall are attracted to lights in the building and will naturally enough come through an open window. This is something that is out of our control, I don't think that this isolated case warrants the installation of fly screens, not to mention their unattractive visual impact to our unspoiled river view. We also could not find the stains you mention in your bedroom wardrobe, we pride ourselves on the highest standards of cleanliness.

On discovering this situation, you did not contact our night person who had let you through the front door moments earlier to inform us of this dilemma. By absorbing this situation until the morning, you did not afford us the opportunity to rectify the situation before it became a problem. Instead, it had the opposite effect ...which did none of us any favors.

We look at this review positively and use it as a yardstick to monitor our performance and take action where necessary. I would like to assure readers that we do not have a Spider Epidemic or any such like as may be picked up from this review.

We at Killarney View pride ourselves on Customer Care and Attention to Detail and we will en-devour to continue to provide our Guests with the highest levels of Excellence.

Sincerley,
Mary Guerin (Owner)
Limerick
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Fab weekend Mary and her staff couldn't be more helpful, a delightful experience to stay here.
very close to all the action Killarney has to offer. Very relaxing to sit out on the verandah watching the world go by sipping a cup of coffee with their delightful scones.

Room Tip: overlooking river if possible lovely views.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mary P G, Owner at Killarney View House, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. It is great to hear such positive feedback and it makes all our hard work worth while. I will ensure all our staff are aware of your wonderful comments. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to Killarney View House soon. Don't miss our wonderful cranberry healthy homemade nut bread next time, it really is worth asking for a slice at breakfast!

Yours sincerely,