“Good food, nice location”

Foley's Townhouse and Restaurant
Ranked #30 of 202 Restaurants in Killarney
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 5, 2018

Ate here with friends when attending a conference. Lovely warm greeting when we arrived and we were seated beside the fire when making our choices before being brought in for dinner. Pleasant and relaxed atmosphere though quiet when we were there. Unfortunately, the lobster thermidor, which was the purpose of our visit was not on. Nonetheless, there were plenty of good choices on the menu. The waitress looking after us was professional and gave really helpful advice. I wish I had taken it. The rest of the group were delighted with their food and cleared their plates. We had the oysters in a champagne sauce to start and they were just sublime. I love my oysters raw but decided to try this for something different and would highly recommend. Unfortunately then I decided to go for the fish platter which was a mix of hot and cold fish but unfortunately, the cooked fish was overcooked, the prawns smothered in a marierose sauce which overwhelmed everything, the mussels were rubbery and tasteless and the one oyster had slid off its shell and disappeared into the rest of the platter. I probably wouldn't recommend this dish but everyone else's meals looked good and they all professed themselves to be delighted. I ordered a cheese platter to finish as I was still peckish and it really wasn't good. The cheeses were too cold and there was no real selection.
The wine list was excellent with a great choice of wines at good price points.
Overall a pleasant experience and I think to be fair I was just really unlucky with my choice on the menu.

1  Thank Lynda M

Reviewed January 8, 2018

We celebrated New Year's Eve at Foleys and had a party of 8. Dierdra, Denis, and Rachel were our servers and seamlessly treated us like Royalty all evening.

Everything from the freshest Salmon to the locally farm raised organic beefs were done to perfection. We enjoyed an array of tasty appetizers to beautifully plated desserts.

The fine wine selection is vast, reasonably priced and varied to appeal to all palettes.

I really enjoyed the dill sauce with my fish medley which was extremely flavorful without being too oily, cheesy or buttery which I find common in Irish Restaurants.

I think though, what gave our party it's greatest pleasure was the friendly, warm and inviting atmosphere of Foley's which is not always the Norm amidst the finer restaurants in Killarney---some can be a bit stuffy!

1  Thank Bob F
Reviewed December 5, 2017 via mobile

5 of us ate here Monday night. The soup was excellent and apparently the fresh oysters au nature too.

For main 5 of us had fish which was excellent and accompanied by an Albariño white wine as a perfect partner. One had a T bone steak which reportedly was delicious.

The baileys cheesecake my colleague had looked super and rich and he was delighted with it.

If you like fish give it a go and you won’t be disappointed

1  Thank henchcook
Reviewed November 26, 2017 via mobile

Five of us had an excellent meal. All our fish mains were very good indeed. Service was good, Karen looked after us very well. It was not busy at all, so not a great deal of atmosphere. But as there were five of us it didn’t really matter. Would go back again.

1  Thank GerryMCM
Reviewed November 2, 2017 via mobile

We ate here last night..The waitress who served us was excellent..unfortunately I didn’t get her name. She was very attentive with our 13 year old son who wanted his steak cooked his own way...the oysters in champagne sauce were the best I’ve tasted and I had a glass of fresh Guinness to wash them down. Lobster was excellent also,as was the fillet steak. I would highly recommend this restaurant to any seafood lover.