“Felt welcomed and great food!”
Review of Murphy's Bar

Murphy's Bar
Ranked #15 of 186 Restaurants in Killarney
Cuisines: Irish, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast
Dublin
“Felt welcomed and great food!”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Table for 2, turned up at 21:30 when everywhere else was stopping service at 21:00.

Murphy's was stopping officially at 21:30 but welcomed us.

The food was lovely, hot, (haddock, pasta) and the honey&cumin salad dressing is astounding

Good atmosphere, clean toilets

Great hostess!

1 downside.... Not enough vegetarian options.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your recent review.

I am delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience here with us and that you found us very welcoming.

We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

• Hebrew first
M27 8HX
“the kerry beef dinner was great”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

called in Murphy's for a drink and a snack we where so pleased with it we went back twice more.Staff where first class,food was great;kerry beef dinner was one of the best we have ever had.By the third visit we where treated like locals,and not a bad pint of the Blackstuff.First class will be back next time i am in Killarney.

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your wonderful review, we love to hear feedback form our customers especially when its as good as yours!

I am delighted to hear you felt like one of the locals by your third visit. We strive to make all our customers feel welcome.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Charlottesville, Virginia
“Great Pub! Great Atmosphere! Very Good Food!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a typical Irish pub in Killarney. It was highly recommended by our hotel staff. It was everything we expected and more. It's not elegant. It's not 5-star. It's not even particularly romantic and certainly not quiet and serene. What it is, is a great spot to enjoy a genuine Irish pub experience. There was music. There was singling. There was jubilence all around. The fish and chips were superb and the service quite good. No trip to Ireland would be complete without a stop in a place like Murphy's. You do not have to be a beer drinker to enjoy a location such as this. My party of two was 100% non-alcoholic but the evening was still a smashing success. By the way, there were lots of families with children who loved the atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank 534RichardL
Good Afternoon Richard,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am very happy to hear you enjoyed every aspect of Murphy's. We strive to create a fun, warm and welcoming atmosphere for all our customers.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future for even more craic agus ceoil!

Seán Murphy.
“Irish Hospitality? Think again.”
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

It has been one crazy long day starting in Co. Laois, through Kilkenny, Waterford, and a VERY windy/gusty drive through Cork and finally arriving in Killarney at our hotel. All we wanted was a pint at a local pub. Our hotel staff said the nearest was Murphy's, so my friend and I quickly took off around the corner. Inside the pub hand only a handful of people in the front area (there might have been a back, I don't know, we didn't get very far), and there were several seats at the bar. We chose the bar stools, hoping to chat up a local and find out whether the Ring of Kerry would be worth it in this awful weather.

The bartender was quick with our order. I asked for a Black & Tan and then I asked what ale he used for it. He said that he just poured the Kilkenny kind, said it was just like the others, then he said "unless you are from somewhere like Chicago". I have no idea what kind of Black & Tans those folks drink, but I'm in Ireland and I want my Guinness. I don't care which ale, haha! The bartender, who would barely even glance at us, said that usually people just get Kilkenny, and I said, "oh, Kilkenny! We were just there today!" He replied, "oh yeah? It's a small world." Tone implied "stupid tourist, shut up and give me my euros". If I recall, Killarney survives off of tourism. I truly hope that this city can redeem itself tomorrow, because I am currently extremely disappointed with it.

I tried to chat with the female behind the bar (manager?), but she would only speak for a little while before flitting off to someone else. The bar was not that crowded that she couldn't speak with me a little more about the area.

A nice gentleman and his wife sat next to us (locals?) and he was very kind.

My friend and I have been shown the upmost kindness throughout the country so far: a man changed our flat tire in the pouring rain, a cafe worker left his shop to help is see if another bar was really closed, an older pub owner taught us how to pour a true Black & Tan then gave us the "grand tour" of the place. But Murphy's is an exception. No hospitality whatsoever.

3 for atmosphere because they had darts and the TV was on

Visited April 2013
Maine
“Service worse than the food!”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Went to Murphy's last night. The food was just OK but the service was terrible. Our male waiter in Squires served us our main coarse and the litterally ignored us for a half hour or more! We wanted to order more drinks and dessert but the group ended up leaving. I waited another ten minutes, trying to get the waiters attention but he seemed intent on not looking my way? He event swept the floor under an empty table as I waited to get his attention. He finally cma eomthe table and said,"they abandoned you, huh?" I had to explain to him that they left to find dessert elsewhere because he had ignored us for more than a half hour. Too many other places available to
go back.