“Stay away from this tourist trap! Worst Seafood Ever.”

The Flesk Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #34 of 186 Restaurants in Killarney
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Open at 5:30 PM daily
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
“Stay away from this tourist trap! Worst Seafood Ever.”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Let me preface this by saying this place is a nightmare. STAY AWAY!

Here are the reasons why:

We saw all the signs out front while strolling through Killarney, stating how it had the best/freshest seafood, how trip advisor's rating was 4/5 stars, and the self boasting continues. Being that my girlfriend and I love seafood, we were excited.

Upon entry, the place is covered in USA decorations. I didn't see a single local in this restaurant except maybe the waitress. Already we were starting to get weary.

Our waitress took our orders very promptly, and seemed very friendly, so we were off to a great start.

The food: We ordered a seafood chowder and it was decent, nothing spectacular, but nothing terrible either. We were satisfied with the bowl as our shared starter.

Entrees: I ordered their "special of the night" which included salmon, plaice (subbed for lobster), and mussels. All cooked in their own individual way, crammed on one plate. This was extremely embarrassing for the restaurant, and a terrible "special". The salmon had half a spine still attached to it, bones everywhere and I managed to swallow some on first bite not knowing I just crunched into a big chunk of fish spine. I feel sorry for the chef, because this is just plain unacceptable. Both the plaice and salmon were quite dry, there was no seasoning on the salmon either, I could have cooked it better myself with a proper poaching.

My girlfriend ordered the trout dish, and was equally disappointed as she found at MINIMUM 15 bones. If you cannot filet a fish properly, don't serve it in your restaurant.

After we brought this to the attention of the waitress, she gave us attitude, got very defensive and told us its impossible to remove all the bones, and the chef 'tried his best'. C for effort, but bones in fish is restaurant 101 NO-NO. And if you tried your best, how do you overlook half of an entire spine still attached to the salmon filet you just plated? Without an apology, or any sort of compensation, she asked us "how was the rest of your meal" as she already turned to walk away. Despicable.

To end the evening, after we were done, we waited TWENTY minutes, after our dishes were taken away, just to be given our check to leave. It wasn't until I stood up and put my coat on that they asked if I needed the bill.

Needless to say, this restaurant is a disgrace to humanity, and restaurants. Stay away if you want any sort of decent food, there are so many more better pubs in the area, with fresher food, and actual locals to socialize with.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank James C

“Best staff ever”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The food was really great. I've been there twice, as an Italian, I can really say the food is worth the price. The main courses are excellent and very tasty, the steak is extremely good. What really made me go back there twice was the staff, however.
Really, really friendly. A lady told me what I could do after eating in Killarney, sent me to a pub and told me to tell them they sent me. In particular, the waitress I believe is the youngest, it's the most friendly and kind. She always gave a really big smile anytime I crossed her eyes and was really nice in general. I will go there again, that's no doubt about it.

Los Angeles, California, United States
“Avoid this one”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Several locals recommended this but we do not agree. We were told the locals go to this place but everyone in the restaurant were clearly from the USA.
The food was mediocre at best, the orders were not correct when recieved. My friend got shrimp with her dish which amounted to 3 tiny shrimp in some undefined sauce, in a small condiment cup.
The service was poor, trying to catch a waitress to get the problems corrected was impossible. They were running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Very disorganized. They tried to stuff as many people in as possible in every little space.
Our table was so close to the bar that we had to move the table out so that my head would not hit the bar rail. I can only believe it was recommended because their friend owns it, not because of the quality by any means. This goes to their credibility as well.
I asked our hotel to not recommend it in the future and to recommend Paddys on main st or Salvadors which were both excellent on every level.

Visited September 2012
Middletown
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We selected this restaurant after looking at the menu choices posted on the window and seeing how busy it was we figured it must be good. It was crammed with tables a bit too close for comfort. We were seated and placed an order. Then we waited and waited and waited.... We were not given any bread and at first assumed they didn't serve bread but after our meal was delivered we saw other tables had bread. The steak was tough, portions were small and we never received our side order. The staff did not come by our table to see if we needed anything or if the meal was to our satisfaction. We finished our soda before the meal was served but we were not offered refills. The prices are reasonable but I guess you get what you pay for.

• Visited August 2012
home
“Excellent seafood!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had a great dinner here this past week. It was very busy and the service did leave a bit to be desired but the food was excellent. I had mussels and my wife had their seafood special; 1/2 lobster, a dozen and a half mussels and a shrimp appetizer[ for 24 euros]. very good and very solid value.

• Visited September 2012