“One word...outstanding”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We were in Killarney last Saturday night and decided to chance this hidden away little Italian restaurant, on the recommendation of a friend. Unfortunately there was no availability inside but when I asked if we could sit outside (there was one table out front) the lady said no problem! It was a beautiful, balmy evening and we had our 18 month old in a buggy so suited perfectly.

This was the nicest Italian meal I have EVER had...genuine Italian...you won't find pizza or garlic bread on this menu. I had tagliatelle pappardelle, which essentially was tagliatelle in a tomato based sauce with some veg and beef. I was expecting minced beef but it was actually steak cut up very small. It was one of the tastiest dishes I have ever had anywhere. My husband had steak, which was excellent and he also kept stealing some of my meal!

It was not inexpensive but having been recommended by the Michelin Guide for each of the last 4 years, including 2013, neither was it expensive. Main courses were €22 for the pasta and €29 for the steak. The San Pellegrino sparkling water at €6.50 for a large bottle was probably a bit steep but the overall experience was so good, I would almost forgive them for it!

This is a hidden gem, off the beaten track, with great service. The man who served us was wonderful and couldn't do enough for us or our small man i.e. our 18 month old! A "proper" Italian restaurant. Out of this world, honestly.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

After making a booking by phone for a large party including several children, we were informed there was no kids menus, but the kids could have half portions, which i specified several times to the waiter, the kids were seated away from adults at another table where they could not be seen but heard. The waiter then asked the kids if they wanted large portions to which they replied yes as a child would, all without the adults knowledge, of course when the bill came the kids meals were approx €25 for their main courses, double the expected price. We were also uncomfortable with the waitresses that took shifts of standing and watching over us all through out our meal.

2  Thank helen_m80_13
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This restaurant came highly recommended and I can see why. We had a lovely meal , tasty ,well presented, excellent service but.... I can see why people complain about the prices! One starter, two mains, two beers, two glasses of wine and 2 coffees..€95 My biggest bugbear was that a coffee cost €3.50...excellent coffee but....I like to eat out and I love Italian food but I would find it difficult to justify these prices in this financial climate.

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Went to this restaurant on a recent trip to Killarney because the kids were getting tired of the Irish cuisine and wanted a change. The dishes are well prepared and tasty but the prices were a bit of a surprise. 22 Euros for a plate of pasta and meat sauce, 29 Euro for a dish of Cod and potatos, 32 Euros for a mixed seafood dish, are examples of what's on the menu. Of the three beers that was on the menu, they had two in stock that day so I ordered the Italian beer (Perini?) which tasted like water. Their dinner rolls were hot and delicious though. The restaurant is on two floors of a house and though it is nicely renovated, it is very cramped. The service was very good and attentive. In hindsight, this is not a place to take your children. It would be good for a date or trying to impress a client.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

What a nice change of pace. After eating traditional Irish fare for several days my wife, daughter and I were looking for a change. This was some of the best Italian food I can remember having. Great specials and inventive menu. A must do if you are looking for a change