“a nice small hostel”
Review of The Sugan Hostel

The Sugan Hostel
Reviewed November 6, 2013

location is the biggest advantage.

i don't have any problem with the host, they are all nice to me and told me many information, bed is comfortable, wifi is stable.

just too less ppl in common room and too less socket.

Room Tip: 4-men dorm is good enough
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 24, 2013

This hostel has a great location and it is clean but there are a few down falls. First the guy running it didn't even say his name or offer us suggestions on where to go or even give us a map. He also told us that there is free overnight parking in the town parking lot in which I ended up having to pay 3 Euros a day for and he was never there. The common area is nice but no one is there at any time so it is not a good place to meet others at all. The 8 person dorm has shared bathrooms which I am used to but not if the shower has bottles of bleach and cleaning stuff lined up around and a mop bucket full of dirty water next to the shower. Also, I came to breakfast 5-10 mins before 10am (end time) and the same guy started yelling at me saying he hated people who come right before breakfast was finished and that he had to take out the milk again cause he packed up breakfast at 9:30am. He was extremely rude and I will never recommend staying here just for the rude service alone. I did not feel welcome at all.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank juleslt
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stay at 3 hostels in Killarney and this one was by far the best. Location is right in the centre and yet quite. The hobit style lounge/common area is very cosy and warm with great tunes been played throughout the day. Cant ask for more from the Kitchen and eating area.Rooms were spacious and very clean. They have a bike rental also which is very handy and can book you on the tours such as The Ring of Kerry Tour. No smoking and drinking allowed which is a big plus as the place is chilled out and quite but the main plus about this hostel is the couple Martin and Martha that run it. Very down to earth, care free and honest and glad to help with any information, from where to go on certain nights and were not to go, what to see or who to bet on in the Finnish league or Spanish La Liga :) half time full time!

Room Tip: 4 bed has its own toilet and shower for just 2 euro more
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We decided to splurge and pay an extra 5 euros pp to upgrade from a dorm and we didn't regret it. The rooms are comfortable with en-suite bathrooms. Staff are friendly. Breakfast is included. There are no lockers or luggage storage however. Location is great - a quick walk from the train station and everything is quite close.
They also offer bike rentals for just 10 euros daily, which we took advantage of. The route to Muckross House and Gardens and the loop/torc waterfall were easy to get to and beautiful!

Room Tip: They already don't allow eating/drinking (anything, including alcohol) so any shared room should...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I recently stayed here with a group of friends, I was the only woman of the group. It has a perfect location right in the middle of Killarney, the only thing that let this hostel down was the gentleman who was in charge.

We were put in the room which sleeps 8 which was a patio, and were told we can not use it, so don't go out there!

He made me feel very uncomfortable and was very rude to our group. It is obvious that he dislikes Irish people, he cursed at us and kept trying to belittle us. I did not feel comfortable staying there. The only reason I stayed was because everywhere else was fully booked. He was very unwelcoming.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Niamh_Malley
Reviewed July 16, 2013

a gang of us stayed there a saturday 2 weeks ago......the guy will a mohicon style haircut (he had some European accent) met us at reception......we was extremely rude to us....he said he hated irish people and said he didnt care if people think he was racist........we were thinking of walking straight out but we had no other accomadation.......we caused no trouble and were very quiet coming in at night but he was still giving out........I would NEVER recommend this place.........

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Sean M
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sugan in April and it was very nice. It was the best hostel we stayed in in Ireland and the private room was clean and comfortable. The staff were nice and they have a large kitchen for cooking your own food. Breakfast is typical of hostel food and they have coffee and tea. Definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple