“Very disappointed”
Review of The Mountain Dew

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Killarney
The Mountain Dew
Ranked #24 of 143 Killarney B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 20, 2011

We were very disappointed with this B&B. Our bathroom had mold on the walls of the shower and the bathroom. The overall appearance of the B&B is quite worn. I am shocked to read such good reviews on this location. I would never consider this B&B on our next trip to Ireland.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Patti B

Reviewed August 15, 2011

Our family of 6 spent almost 2 weeks in different B & B's throughout Ireland and this was by far our favorite! The breakfast was absolutely amazing. The hostess gave us extra help & information when we needed it, and plenty of privacy too; perfect balance. She was ready to book outings for us & arrange for pick up out the front door, and helpful with money-saving options & ideas. Very important to me was the high quality mattress...I got a great night's sleep, very much like a 5 Star hotel mattress. There's a front room available 24/7 to guests fully stocked with tea and an abundance of cookies & snacks. This really took the edge off & saved $$ since we were traveling with children & I was out of snacks. I loved the location; plenty of parking & just a couple blocks to town. So, no need to drive + more room & less noise. I read a negative review about the bathroom and am a little confused...our bathrooms (we had 2 rooms) were on par with all the B & B's which are often remodeled out of a closet. The shower was tight but my husband is 6'3'' with a robust build and had no complaints. I was pleased with the bathrooms because they were fully stocked with hair dryer/shampoo/soap etc... Wifi was available, but especially good in the dining area which Eileen invited me to use any time. When we left we were considering the Ring of Kerry, but concerned about the reviews of hours of traffic. In the end we chose to skip it and drive to Dingle which, as the hostess said, was every bit as stunning & beautiful, if not more!

Room Tip: Check in early & enjoy tea!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CynBer4
Reviewed July 30, 2011

The location (approx. 5 mins walk from town) was great but we were quite disappointed about the overall experience for many reasons. Firstly the room had a very strong smell of damp and mould. The owner wasn't particularly welcoming or friendly.The lights didn't work. We couldn't have a proper shower due to lack of water pressure. All our clothes were damp after just staying over for one night. When arriving back at the B&B after an evening out we found 8 wasps in our room that we had to catch and kill before I could get any sleep (as I am allergic to wasps and bee stings).The windows were shut so I've no idea how they got there. The breakfast was average but we were waiting for about 20 mins before the B&B owner came to ask what we'd like to have for breakfast. I felt that she would have preferred us to have just cereal instead of having to cook us full Irish. To be honest I am really surprised to see so many good reviews regarding the B&B that was well below the average. It really must be easy getting an award if the B&B has ever won anything. I assume that it could have been a long time ago or under a different management.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We have just returned from our second stay at The Mountain Dew and it was every bit as good as we remembered . Eileen is a lovely hostess, very friendly and helpful yet leaves you alone to enjoy your stay

The rooms are clean and very comfortable, yes the shower rooms are quite small as other guests have stated, but they are perfectly adequate. My husband who is very tall and of large build managed perfectly well.

The breakfast is amazing, we have never seen so much choice. Every cereal you could possibly think of, fruit juices, fresh fruit, yoghurts and then a choice of cooked breakfast. A large supply of hot toast, including brown soda bread was brought to the table and a large pot of coffee each

There is also a private lounge for guests to relax were you can make yourself drinks and help yourself to snacks at any time of the day and night. Every type of coffee you can think of is available plus tea, herbal teas, fruit teas,hot chocolate, horlicks,there are even cup a soups

We checked out at 11.00 but where not leaving for the airport until 15.00 but Eileen allowed us to leave our bags there and even allowed us to carry on using the guest lounge and help ourselves to drinks and snack if we wnated. As the weather was so lovely and warm we chose to relax in the garden by the pool until it was time for us to leave

You will get a great warm welcome here from both the hosts and their cute little dog Tayto (who loves to roll over and have his belly rubbed)

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2011

The Mountain Dew B&B is well situated in the town of Killarney. Mrs. Eileen Carroll was very helpful in scheduling a Ring of Kerry bus tour for us, her husband found us lost and had us follow him to the B&B. This B&B is cozy. Of the four B&Bs we stayed at during our trip, Mountain Dew had an outrageous amount of snacks and breakfast selections. I think I counted 27 different boxes of dry cereal alone! The welcome was very warm, friendly and informal. Mr. and Mrs. Carroll were wonderful hosts....as was their doggie too! I didn't give it a 5 Star as the bathroom was too small but our adult children's bathroom was fine. The proprietors of this B&B can not be beat.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Judi000
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Position is just perfect to visit Killarney and the Ring of Kerry, there is plenty of information and a free Wi-Fi. Also, all the snacks, teas, cereals, coffee and cookies in the reading room are for free!!! And at Breakfast you are gonna need an hour just to decide what to have: there is a wall filled with cereals, snacks, cookies, biscotti and nuts of every kind! never seen so many. And all of this, is for you to take.. ...in addition to the breakfast menu! Incredible. The room instead was very very small and with a tiny bathroom without window or air purifier.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2011

When we drove in to The Mountain Dew parking lot, we were a bit worried about the lack of parking spaces available to us. Immediately we were greeted by Eileen who told us her husband would move his car and park ours for us in one of the tightest spots in Killarney. He whipped into the spot as our jaws dropped in awe of the man's expert skill. What service! We were then given the tour, handed the keys to the kingdom and let loose to explore Killarney (only a short 6.25 minute walk away); it was a comforting transaction. The triple room was excellent and felt more homey to me than any other B&B I've stayed in. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was stocked with enough towels, hot water and ample water pressure to host a shower party (not that I would know about those things...).

The highlight of our stay though was the breakfast. In addition to the thousand cereals offered, there were fruits, yogurts, coffee (best in Ireland?), tea and a menu of hot foods like pancakes, eggs, and sausages. I would come back here just for the breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends