“An Enigma... Pub/Restaurant or Music Hall or The Local???”

Kate Kearney's Cottage
Ranked #16 of 189 Restaurants in Killarney
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Bar, Restaurant, Entertainment venue, souvenir shops, Pub grub and much more. Our multi award winning banquet style themed "Irish Night" runs from March through to October, a must if your visiting. In the high season you can expect the show to run at least 6 nights a week. We're also situated close to many walking trails in the world famous Gap of Dunloe. There's Jaunting cars and horse riding within a minutes walk and at least 5 golf course within a 10 mile radius. We also cater for weddings and after wedding parties. Live music and BBQs are never too far away either during the summer
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I went to Kate Kearney's on the night of 20 August as members of an Insight Tour Group. We normally ignore the evening "optionals" on Tours but thought on this occasion we actually might get some .....'great atmosphere or 'craic' at our ceilidh evening'. But did we? Nope, and it is hard to blame Kate Kearney's for that.

We arrived in darkness from our Coach and left in darkness so any location/geographical effect was not to be had. As the web-site video shows and others have commented we were welcomed into a separated area faced later by the musicians and the two sisters who danced. Beyond a 3/4 wall, to our right and the musicians left was the normal bar/table area accommodating, I assume tourists, visitors and locals? stuck with a sideways view of the action, such as it was. ALL A BIT DISJOINTED !!!

Our set dinner was fine, service was ok, the music and playing was ok, the dancers performed, and our talented Tour Director, Patrick Kealey sang (the only singer). Was it our fault, the general layout, segregation or separation, or overblown expectation BUT the night was a disappointment. No life, no atmosphere, no spontaneity or excitement. So for this little duck Insight's claims were not met at all.

Those who choose to go to Kate Kearney's knowing what is there and what to expect will probably be quite satisfied; but Tour groups I am not so sure.

1  Thank DarcyJA

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This pub/restaurant is at the entrance to the Gap of Dunloe and gets a lot of tour bus traffic. We were very pleasantly surprised by the exceptional quality of the food. Just as you enter and to the right are some cozy little snooks for those of us who wander in. We ate there twice and had very good food and service. Their specials really are! Recommend going at a hour without the tour bus there, service is very efficient. Especially of a rainy day it is a great place to warm up and have a terrific meal.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

After driving the Gap of Dunloe, I headed to Kate's for dinner. They had live music and Irish dancing. The food was great, the entertainment was fantastic and the whole atmosphere is a lot of fun. Worth a visit for sure.

1  Thank Ellen T
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Was recommended by our hotel for food and music, wasn't disappointed although the music was set up to play to a coach party in a side room, whilst we could here them just fine the view from the bar was a little side on. A good night of food and music, service was excellant.

Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I came with a tour group. Tourist in one room. Locals in another.

Nice food and entertainment. When I asked for coffee my waitress let me know I should have ordered it instead of my included beer. She refused to serve me. I had to wait until the
desert was served.

I don't think she would treat a local that way.