“Good restaurant”
Review of Bricin Restaurant

Bricin Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 186 Restaurants in Killarney
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Good restaurant”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We dined at Bricin while staying in Killarney. We found that it is a busy restaurant when in season - so you are best to have reservations. We had reservations and were seated right away. The dining environment was nice - lighting was low and a higher end ambience was set. The service itself was not what we are used to in the US - but it wasn't terrible. It just was not as speedy and efficient as we are used to. I would not rate it as horrible but it could use some improvement. It took awhile, but once our order was taken the food was quick, hot and good. We especially liked the chowder - it was really splendid. The brown bread was really fantastic as well - the best I had while in Ireland. I had the boxty which was good - it's basically a potato pancake stuffed with a filling of your choice. My husband had a chicken dish which he als said was good. The restaurant was priced adequately for other restaurants of this type in the area. It's a bit more expensive than bar food though so expect to pay. Also when paying with credit cards the service is not included and there is no line to tip - so you have to give a tip with cash - so be prepared with cash if you want to tip. It's not expected but I always tip on any service provided.

1 Thank fretless987

Magnolia, Texas
“Loved the traditional "Boxty" dish!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great atmosphere and our meals were delightful! This is an expensive restaurant if you are looking for upscale dining in a traditional setting. We selected the set menu and enjoyed everything from appetizer to dessert.

Visited July 2013
“Great Meal”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Managed to get a place without a reservation. This is obviously a popular place to eat. Food was great, a little expensive but food was worth it and about on par with the other eateries we've visited whilst on holiday in Ireland. Staff were very friendly and inviting, and service was very fast considering how busy the place was. If we were spending more time in Killarney it would definitely be worth a revisit.

Belfast -Northern Ireland
“Mixed Experience”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were staying in Kilarney and popped into The Bricin on Friday night around 9pm, it is located up the stairs through a shop at the top of the town. The restaurant was really busy and the guy at the front of house told us to go downstairs and wait in the shop for 10 mins, but while we waited others went up and stayed – maybe they had reservations?

When we went back up I was brought to a table by the front of house person but was given no menus and wasn’t asked did I want anything to drink. I had to ask for menus after a couple of minutes and it was 20 minutes before someone came near me to ask for my drink or food order. In fairness the women serving were run flat off their feet, but I noticed the front of house person was standing around.

When we did get service I have to say it was fantastic, the servers were very helpful and friendly, chatting away to us which was great. Although from our starters we didn’t have high expectations of the food. The bruschetta was more like a pizza with melted cheese on top and the salmon pate was OK. My main changed this though. I had the 9oz fillet steak and ordered it rare. I actually like it medium rare but find very little places can do this right and if I order rare then I get it a little closer to how I like it. This steak was fantastic and cooked to perfection. It melted in my mouth. My other half had the lamb Boxty and thought it was good.

The prices seemed to be consistent with the other restaurants in town (there are a few other more expensive) and it had some set menus at €27 and €35 which were valid on the Friday night. Pub grub would be cheaper but it really depends on what experience you want.
The atmosphere of the restaurant is tailored around the old Irish feel with the décor and furniture which I’m sure the tourists love, but it didn’t come across too tacky. When we first arrived the place was bustling and noisy and so I wouldn’t recommend it for a romantic intimate dinner, but as the night went on it got better.

Overall it was definitely a mixed experience

Pasadena, California
“Yummy food at a great price.”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I knew about this restaurant from a guidebook and my family and I went after we drove the Ring of Kerry. My husband and daughter had meat dishes and liked them a lot. I had the nutloaf (nuts, veg, eggs, herbs and cheese molded in a loaf) and thought it was excellent. The beer was great. We were seated quickly even though we didn't have a reservation and the staff was friendly and attentive. The atmosphere was charming. All in all, the guidebook was right!

• Visited June 2013