“Dual standards”

Cuisines: American
Leeds
“Dual standards”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2008

Called into Derby O'Gill's on the way to Killarney one evening for a meal, eaten in the bar but from a comprehensive menu, and was well looked after and the food was good. So much that, though slightly out of the way, we returned the next night with some friends.
It was an embarrasment from start to finish. There were obviously customers elsewhere in the building who were more important than us. Maybe one of the aforementioned bus tours? It took ages to get an order taken, even longer for the food to arrive and, when it did, three of the five meals arrived long before the others. One of the remaining two was a vegetarian wrap, which came full of ham. All sorts of excuses were made! With the delay, we declined the offer of a replacement and asked for a refund, which was agreed. Then my steak arrived. I am in the restaurant business and know what meat is available for what price. This small piece of meat was full of gristle, virtually uncutable even with a steak knife, and tasteless. I complained and the food was taken away, to be returned with the message, 'There's nothing wrong with it'.
I wasn't happy and asked to talk to the proprietor. He didn't even bother to come, just send another message that that is the best beef available. Having had some superb steaks in Killarney town, I knew that was rubbish.
I left the meal and when one of my friends went to pay he told them, quite simply, that he was not paying for it. They eventually agreed.
Anyone can make an error, but for the proprietor, not just a member of staff, to try to justify it is unbelievable. I'll not be back. Some of the staff, and the boss, just don't understand what service is about.

1 Thank PeterScott-Leeds