“Should be in your bucket list:)” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 368 things to do in County Kerry
san francisco
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Should be in your bucket list:)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

We went to Skellig Michael last May of 2013 and I am glad we did. Please make sure you arrive at the place at least 30 minutes early. There is no guarantee that your boat will be able to unload passengers or land. So, I have to say it's a 50/50 deal but if heavens permit, it is worth a try. I took dramamine for sea sickness before getting in the boat and I have to say it helped me a lot. The boat ride was tough and cold. It gets colder after 15-20 in the ocean. Wear something waterproof (poncho), bring gloves, scarf, thick socks & a good tennis shoes/ hiking shoes or anything with a good grip. You will be going through at least 650 steps. It took me about 30 mins getting up there. Take your time and watch your steps. Take lots of pictures. This place is amazing! They usually give a little bit of history once you reached the top, so don't miss that. There are no bathrooms or stores. It would be best not to eat and drink too much water before going there. I would recommend to bring a bar of chocolate, an apple or orange and maybe a small bottle of water to enjoy afterwards. You boat captain will tell you when you have to meet up, give yourself plenty of time going down. The captain means business when they give you the exact time. Since they have to time their boat with the waves, it is helpful when everyone is at the meeting spot. It took about 1.5 to 2 hours boat ride each way. Enjoy!!!

7 Thank eli173

13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“A must see!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Skellig Michael is a must see! The boat ride to and from was rather rough and very wet (bring and wear rain gear!). We arrived on a beautifully clear and sunny day. We were given sound advice for hiking up to the top. Visiting Skellig Michael was a highlight for our family. We also enjoyed seeing the puffins fly in and nest among the cliffs.

4 Thank QFam2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

was there last year with my dad , almost sank on the way , we were the only boat that went out on the day all others called off because of the swell of the sea ! could not be leave the trek up to the summit ! how close to the edges etc but it was well worth the 50 euro price !!!!!!!!!! theirs a video of my trip on youtube - channel SpannerKiller6 P-S ignore the selected date below i went last yer

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Andrew L
Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Do It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was one of the favorite parts of our trip. Not only was Skellig Michael an astounding place to visit but the boat trip there was an experience all in itself. We went with Joe Roddy & Sons boating company and had a blast. Prepare to be cold and wet and you'll be just fine. It is incredible to be in the of the choppy water on such a tiny boat heading to such a magical location. Do not skip this! You will be hard pressed to find any other experience quite like it. Tip: Go to the bathroom before you go and go easy on the liquids before and after you go. No restrooms on the island. :)

4 Thank Amanda M
Manassas, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Absolutely Amazing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

If you are in County Kerry and the weather cooperates and you are capable of climbing steps, this is an unforgettable adventure. We called the day before to one of the several ferries that operate out of Portmagee to check on possible weather conditions for the next day and reserve spots on the ferry. The weather on the day was magnificent and the ferry trip enjoyable. We saw schools of dolphins on our 8 mile trip out to Skellig Michael. Patience and taking your time on the climb are important. As I neared the top I felt I had reached my limit and could go no further. The steps are narrow and turn at certain points to follow the layout of the area. I imagine that vertivgo could be problem for some. However, when I realized how close to the top I was I rested a few moments and continued on. Am I glad I did!!! Beehive huts are at the top and the views were amazing. I was a bit nervous when starting the descent, however I found going down seemed to be easier for me going up. Slow and easy will give you an experience of a lifetime. There is a fee for the ferry ride.

Visited October 2013