“Must See”

and up
Ring of Kerry and Skelligs Awaken Tour from Killarney
Ranked #4 of 393 things to do in County Kerry
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I chartered with skelligislands.com for 50 Euros. These guys were excellent! The boat was small and the water was choppy, but the whole experience was wonderful. We were given waterproof gear to wear on the way to the island which was much appreciated as it got very wet. The island itself was beautiful and the views were amazing. This was an experience I will never forget.

2  Thank II____Jen____II

Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

I booked a trip to Skellig Michael with my Grandfather during the summer hols. It was delayed by three days due to stormy weather. The journey there was wet and cold. I eventually hid in the cabin. The journey was round about half an hour. When we got there a woman yakked on about health and safety and all that. The steps were steep and I felt a little insecure when near the top as there is no railings at all and the steps are very uneven. Loads of photos. The top was stunning with all the buildings. Shame we couldn't see all of it as there was reparations taking place at the time. The way back down was easier. On the way back my grandfather fell on the boat as it was jerky on the way back. Luckily he wasn't harmed in any way. We got the see an island covered in Gannets. I wanted to see Puffins but they had already left. After much deliberation I have decided to give this attraction a four star rating since it was a great experience but a cold and wet one though.

1  Thank Reviewguy12
Reviewed October 1, 2013

... but you'll remember it for the rest of your life. Do some online research to see if this visit is for you, and if it is, plan ahead and make it happen. Be on time for the boat, those who weren't got left behind in our group (not sure if they got refunds or not).

There are two vendors we looked at - Joe Roddy (skelligstrips.com ) and Caseys I believe. We took the former but mainly just due to timing. It was a bit more religious in nature than we expected in term of how things were described and presented, but we should have expected it, as it is a religious site.

3  Thank DTMILLER
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Skellig Michael offers foreign and Irish tourists an insight into Early Christian Ireland that many aren't lucky enough to experience. After many years of promising to visit, my sister and I drove the four hour car trip from our home in the Midlands to the Skellig Michael Experience centre, outside Portmagee. After a fairly smooth trip out on Des' boat that took just over an hour, we were greeted firstly by the stone masons whom were improving the sites main path to the starting point. On from this, the OPW worker briefed us on safety etc before we ascended on the cut stone staircase above. Every part of the trek up offered beautiful sights in most directions and already, we felt priviledged to be there. At the sites centre, another guide was there to give us a talk and answer our questions. We were allowed inside many of the cells as many of the islands bird species had left. This I felt allowed us to really understand and appreciate the work load that the monks acheived in such a demanding environment. Work was being carried out on the 11th century church, of which in my opinion looked harsh and would make me wonder was the work actually carried out by a conservation specialist or a was it a Fás job?? A few years exposed to the elements may tone down the zealous pointing!!
The journey down was almost as challenging as that upward and again, the sights of the ocean and neighbouring islands did not disappoint.
On our boat we had a mix of Kiwi, American, Aussie and Irish, ranging in ages from 20s-60s and thankfully, everyone could make the tough journey up and down safely.
I would highly reccommend this site to everyone- if you have a day to spare whilst in Kerry, you should consider this trip as it will make for brilliant memories.

4  Thank carol m
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was something I have meant to do for years but never got around to.I went quite hungover from a forgettable night in cahirsiveen with some friends and was delighted I had made the effort.I can only describe it as breathtaking.The guides were knowledgeable and obviously passionate about their subject.Particularly now its very easy to be cynical about Ireland but when you visit sites like this I think its hard not be proud to be Irish.Having said that the weather was fantastic and like so much in Ireland this was a huge factor.

1  Thank Gary B