“Beautiful”

and up
Ring of Kerry and Skelligs Awaken Tour from Killarney
Ranked #4 of 393 things to do in County Kerry
Reviewed February 14, 2013

If you like nature you are gonna love this Island. It's very beautiful. We had a great time, you see lot of birds and have a exciting ride with a boat to the Island.That was one of the best things we visited in Ireland.It is not for people who are afraid of heights or are likely to get seasick. We used Casey's boat trips and everything was great.

3  Thank Verilala

Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a truly mind opening experience and my wife Lyn and I shall long remember it. This trip takes a full day, and you mostly need to take your own refreshments. There are over 600 steep stairs to climb if you wish to see the ancient Monk's habitat which is still quite intact.You leave from Portmagee on a fairly long and bouncy boat ride, and then you are left for a few hours to climb to the top or just enjoy the walk along the side of the island. The walking routs are well maintained, but get slippery when it rains - most of the time. For the bird enthusiast, this is a haven for Puffins who regard you with suspicion, but let you get quite close. There are many other unique species, and on the way back to Portmagee you pass close to Little Skellig which is almost covered in nesting sea-birds. The noise is quite deafening! When you return, it is with a deep feeling of satisfaction and spiritual upliftment - as well as a great respect for the Monks who made their home at this spot for so long. We visited Waterville and the Skelligs in July 2012, and had a pleasant stay at the Cable House B&B in Waterville. Excellent meals can be had at the Cable House!

6  Thank McClureJohannesburg
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife Karen and I visited Skellig Michael in June of 2012. It was one of the highlights of our trip. The history of the place is fascinating and the site itself was awe inspiring. As a christian, I was inspired by these men who dedicated their lives to a spartan life of prayer and supplication. The fact that this site was occupied for seven hundred years bogles the mind of someone whose own country only has a tree hundred year + history. It rained the day before and we weren't sure that we would even be able to go but by the time we arrived in Port Magee the rain had stopped and as we approached skellig Michael the clouds parted and we enjoyed bright blue skies as we ascended the rock to the monastery. We were told that there were college students who would be there to explain history and answer questions. We had already done quite a bit of research and reading on the subject, but upon arrival we discovered rather than college students, a University Professor who had SO much to add to our knowledge that I can not even believe how much more I learned. I was 51 at the time and sadly out of shape but having done much mountain climbing in my youth it was tiring but not an insurmountable obstacle. The views from the top are breathtaking and if you take a moment to sit quietly and think about the long hours and days and years and decades and centuries of prayer that emanated from this rock it can be a humbling, spiritual experience. I highly recommend the trip. It is amazing in our modern technological world that places like this still exist in their beautiful simplicity, unspoiled by the unneeded modifications of our paranoid psyches. At the end of our trip to Skellig the clouds closed in around us once again and I could not help but think that our visit was meant to be.

7  Thank bwaymire
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I highly recommend, this was my favorite thing in Ireland that we saw. We used Casey’s boat trips and they were great. We initially thought we weren’t going to be able to head out there because of the weather, but the sun came out and we had a great day. I will say the boat trip out there was intense, I got very seasick. It was worth it and the boat ride back was fine. If you can, you must go!!

3  Thank Cricket84
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I initially thought the boat fare was expensive but its a three hour round trip and between bringing you out and taking you back it takes most of the day.
It is an experience of a lifetime but be warned, if you are looking for modern comforts you are in the wrong place. Hiking boots are handy to have. The boat takes you out into the open sea and the sea can be rough. On that note maybe its not a good idea to just have breakfast before going on board a small vessel subject to the mood of the sea. The rock does not have any toilet or indeed any modern convenience. It is undisturbed nature at its finest. The ascent to the monastery is dangerous if you are not careful. The guides do their best to warn and advise.

6  Thank Ronan O