“A beautiful day trip”

24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A beautiful day trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We were somewhat concerned about what we’d read about the volume of traffic driving the Ring of Kerry. As a result, we waited until early afternoon on a Thursday in late May. Traffic proved to be non-existent. I think we saw two tour buses the entire afternoon. We drove the ring counterclockwise, which seems to be the prevailing wisdom. We think that was the best way to do it, if for no better reason than the best views then come near the end of the trip. We feel that if we’d driven it clockwise, the scenery would have been anti-climatic after the first hour of the trip. That being said, the views of Dingle Bay and the Dingle Peninsula at the start of our ring were excellent. We were blessed with a clear and sunny day (though it was extremely windy and cold at each stop along the way). We drove the entire ring with relatively few stops along the way in about 3 hours. I've now done the Ring of Kerry and the Dingle Peninsula (albeit 30 years apart) and would express a slight preference for Dingle. It's more remote and rugged; Kerry is more touristy with more places to stop along the way.

Visited May 2013

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“ring of kerry”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

If your planning to do the Ring of Kerry then don,t panic about how long it will take, my partner and myself are in our middle years , and so we really enjoyed the scenery which is to be seen on the southern side of the peninsula as you look at the map, this side of the ring of Kerry is not very populated and is quite pretty as far as views and scenery go, and yes is worth seeing, but to me it really only rates a 6.5 , as in my travels around the world I could name many views which rate a 10 or even a 10+ I guess it depends on how far a field you have travelled. The other thing you should know is that the northern side is aimed at the tourist with little towns , and cafés selling the same old souvenirs you can buy anywhere in Ireland but for a much cheaper price, and as far as views go there are only two spots on the whole side, so if its views you are after, then save yourself time and fuel , and only do the northern side, and if you do it late in the day you will have no traffic problem, we were there in early September and saw no coaches, and only a handful of cars, also we travelled it in both directions which gives you different views each way. Travelling time for the whole ring was about 2.30 hrs and we took it easy with one stop for coffee.
On the whole worth seeing, but don't expect to be totally blown away.

Visited September 2013
11 Thank 161LindaD
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing scenery and views along the 180KM Ring of Kerry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Amazing day trip of the Ring of Kerry, only 4 people on trip (including me). We took small coach tour and we must of stopped at about 12 places to take pictures and we had lunch at a little town along the way. It rained on and off but never for more than 30mins at a time. I absolutely recommend this tour for someone who likes mountain scenery and rivers.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Matthiew V
Winter Park, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Nothing compares”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

We're huge fans of scenic drives, and the Ring of Kerry is in the top 5 of all time for us. Just one astounded "Wow!" after another. Plenty of places to stop along the way and all the scenery you see in Ireland brochures. Take your time...you'll want to.

Visited November 2013
Moonta, Australia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

When I told people that I was going to Ireland, all without exception said "make sue that you see the Ring of Kerry", it is spectacular. Well, I made sure that I did & boy I was not let down. The views and scenery were truly awesome. I was travelling in a hire car, so I was able to take my time and really enjoy the experience. The height of the cliffs and the sheer drops are breathtaking. There are a reasonable amount of places to be able to take your photos.

Having seen both the Ring of Kerry & Dingle, I would rate them equally as good as each other. They have their similarities, but are unique in their own ways. Kerry's coastline was more rugged, but Dingle's was not as steep and there was more to see.

Visited October 2013