“Ring of Kerry Tour with O'Connor Autotours”
Review of Ring of Kerry

Ranked #15 of 379 things to do in County Kerry
Denver, Colorado
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Ring of Kerry Tour with O'Connor Autotours”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I had originally planned to take the Dingle Day tour from Dublin with O'Connor. They were very responsive and helpful via email, and willing to pick me up and drop me off wherever I liked. I took the train from Dublin and was to be met by my tour operator at the train station in Killarney. Once there, I was met by John O'Neill who informed me that they had a change and would not be doing the Dingle tour, but would instead be doing the Ring of Kerry tour. I was upset, but John was very patient and assured me the Ring of Kerry tour was just as good, if not better. John took such good care of me. Got me a seat right up front, gave me free entry to the bog museum, gave me a hot tea, etc. John really bent over backwards to make sure I was having a good time. I felt like a VIP. On top of that, he was a great tour guide. Lots of interesting information, great scenery, excellent sense of humor, more than willing to take everyone's pictures for them. My one HUGE regret is that my camera battery died before I got a photo with John who really made this tour perfection. I appreciate a company who goes that extra mile, especially when things don't work out as planned. O'Connor is so easy to work with and so accommodating. When I go back to Ireland, I'll book with them again.

• Finnish first
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Just OK”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The drive is pleasant, but the Ring of Beara and Dingle peninsula were both *much* nicer. I can only assume RoK is more popular because coaches can get around it easier (although there are coach tours along the Ring of Beara and Dingle peninsula, as well). About halfway through it, we decided to abandon it, and drove along a very narrow road through the middle of the "ring," which we thought was nicer than the coastal route (although don't expect any conveniences along the way!)

1 Thank london_import
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Priority No. 1 on your list”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

You simply can't come this far to Southern Ireland and not do this. I am Irish myself but I've done a lot of travelling around the US and Europe and this represents one of the most stunning drives you will ever encounter. One full lap of the full Ring is a good 5 solid hours driving (that's without stopping too much) - so start out early and allow yourself the full day for this. I say this also because there are a lot of spots along the way that you will want to explore further. And make sure to bring a camera!! Also - just be aware that a lot of the driving is very winding/ twisty narrow roads with little or no warning of the bad bends - so drive carefully. That type of driving can also get tiring after a few hours so bare that in mind also. Take a break half way through or share the driving perhaps. Spots along the way to explore include Torc Mountain, Gap of Dunloe, Killarney National Park, Kenmare (plus its boat tours), and several castles and lakes not to mention the Atlantic bays which present stunning views of the Mountains on one side and Atlantic on the other. Simply Amazing. Must do, whether you're foreign or not!!

5 Thank yauch29
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Outstanding Beauty”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

If you're looking for dramatic beauty you found it! One of my favourite parts was the road from Kenmare to Killarney (N71). Stunning scenery and views and such a fun road to drive! Be warned though parts of the road are small and very winding! Saw a few RVs who were having difficulty getting by. There are plenty of laybys were you can stop and take photos. There are also two cafes on this road were you can stop for coffee and cake :-)

2 Thank Lilosurf
Moscow, Russia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

There's no way of coming to Kerry and failing to do the Ring of Kerry tour. It's a fantastic experience lasting for 5-6 hours that leaves you with tons of memories and amazing pictures. But should you have an opportunity to choose between a bus tour and a private one (by car), choose the latter because there are so many places on the road, beautiful places and views where buses can't park, can't stop even for a minute or two to let you out to take pictures

5 Thank Jul_sunshine