“Best Ever Experience”
Review of Kissane Sheep Farm

Kissane Sheep Farm
Ranked #53 of 393 things to do in County Kerry
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Our visit to Kissane Sheep Farm as part of a Coach Tour Group in May was outstanding. We got to see, Jane, Nane and Bobbi, rounding up the sheep, which was totally amazing. John Foley was wonderful doing the shearing and of course to feed the baby lambs was a very exciting experience. We also adopted two of our own baby lambs. This is a must see on the Ring of Kerry. Please phone in advance for the daily demonstrations as those times vary every day, depending on the farm work and Coach Tour Groups.

1  Thank Group T

Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

I was passing with a family of four and we saw the signs and when down when we got down I saw the price and thought it was a lot but after you see the dogs working and the sheep being shorn its worth while and cheap, we had a picnic so we walked down in to the black valley and saw some amazing views we also saw some very big amazing red stags.
The owner John was very helpful and answered all our questions. The children were also delighted as we got to bottle feed the pet lambs and pet and rub them.
Over all it was amazing and would suggest for anyone passing tho stop in and look around.!!!!!!!!

Reviewed May 31, 2012

We learned of Kissane Farms through Rick Steve's Ireland 2012 book and we are so glad we went! The setting of the farm is magnificent; right in the rolling hills and rocky landscape. We had seen sheep all over Ireland during our drive of Co. Kerry and wanted to witness a farm up close; we're glad we did! You first get to see a sheep shearing demonstration and then we got to see Nan and Jean (the sheepdogs) heard the sheep. It was fascinating to see these dogs in their element and learn how the sheep react. We were there with 6 people and then there was a very large tour bus with us. So my only complaint is that the groups can't be smaller (they didn't allow us to do our own tour because we only had 6 people). But other than that, it was a fascinating experience!

1  Thank BLMR
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Ever since I read about Kissane Sheep Farm online, I wanted to visit. My husband stopped and saw the sheep dog demonstration on our way from Dingle to Kenmare. We also got to experience how sheep are sheared. Just wonderful. It was definitely worth it.

We were there before anyone else, and John Kissane was so very patient in answering our multitude of questions even though he had work that had to be done. I got to feed an orphaned lamb (so sweet!), and we were introduced to his new puppy who was adorable.

This farm is located in a beautiful area. We chose to forego the Gap of Dunloe so that we could visit the sheep farm. I highly recommend it, especially if you have children. It's a delight.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

For several years, I have visited the Kissane Sheep Farm and have adopted four sheep for a minimal annual fee. This past March not only did I visit the farm again, but my husband and I accompanied John on a morning run to feed the sheep! Simply fascinating but lots of hard work. We loaded feed bags onto the truck and then headed to the various sheep-feeding stations where I lugged bags of feed through muck and mud to the awaiting sheep and the troughs. This experience gave me a new appreciation for John's commitment to these mountain sheep who depend upon him to sustain them through the winter months. We saw lots of newly-born lambs as well as deer who feed alongside of the sheep. The Kissane Sheep Farm is a definite must-see when visiting Co. Kerry.

2  Thank DDDarlings