“Amazing hotel with excellence service”

Clayton Hotel Galway
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

We've just arrived back from a 2 night stay at the clayton-and even though it's our 4th time staying there(whichs says a lot) Its always a pleasure. It's a lovely hotel,located just as you enter Galway city. The check in was friendly and quick with Sarah giving us all the info we needed about breakfast,leisure facilities,swimming pool etc. My husband had booked us an executive suite(the first time we had stayed in one of these) as it was our first new years as a married couple. :) As lovely as the standard rooms are-we will definitely be staying in the executive suites the next time. What a fabulous room. There was plenty of storage space. Everything else you would require,ironing board,fridge,hair dryer,extra towels and blankets etc. The living room part was very comfy with 2 leather couches plus a table and chairs. The bed......well if I could have fitted it into the car,I would have brought it home with us!! It was the most comfortable bed I've EVER slept in. I didn't want to get out of it. The bathroom was absolutely beautiful and spotlessly clean with a lovely bath and a MASSIVE walk in shower-we could have fitted about 15 people in it. :) They supplied 2 bathrobes too. We went for breakfast on both mornings which was lovely. They do a buffet breakfast with loads of continental meats and cheeses,fresh fruit,yogurts and pastries plus a fully cooked breakfast. There are scrambled eggs available as part of the buffet-but you can ask for poached or fried eggs if you like. I have to say it was one of the nicest breakfasts we've had in a long time. On the second night-which was new years eve-we went for our meal in the enclosure bar. The service here was excellent. We were looked after by 2 young gentlemen called Shane and Donal ( the hotel should be very happy to have such fantastic staff members working for them). They could not do enough for us,and were very friendly. The food was amazing,we had the Caesar salad followed by the sirloin steak,which was cooked just to our liking. There was music in the bar that night. And an overall nice friendly atmosphere there. That's why we love the clayton so much and keep returning. You feel at ease there. It's like a home away from home. I've only recently joined tripadvisor hence why I'm only writing the review after this stay. But I can wait to return again. :)

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank DunneandDusted

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Stayed at the Clayton over the weekend and must say the staff are propably the best I've seen in a long time. In particular I would like to mention Stephanie on the Reception Desk. She is terrific. The room was lovely and the bed so comfortable with a lovely bath and shower. Hotel is bright and spotless - really enjoyed ourselves. Would highly recommend this for a weekend in Galway.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Stayed at the Clayton Gaway for two nights - excellent rooms and just the best bed ever - terrific staff and super breakasts. The hotel is very well located and for access to Gaway city and Connemara.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

I remember a time when 4 stars actually stood for one step away from excellence. Well going by my stay at the Clayton, 4 stars must now mean one (small) step above a budget hotel. In fact I've stayed in better budget hotels. Does the fact that they squeezed in a minuscule 3 lane swimming pool and filled a dreary box room with a couple of exercise machines and called it a gym give them the criteria required to be granted 4 stars?
As for the food, I certainly wouldn't call it 4 star standard, but the prices are. I've eaten better food in truckers cafe's. My over cooked hake came out on a bed of yellow and green mush, my wife's lamb cutlets were covered in what was meant to be gravy but the chef decided to go for something which could have been used to hang wallpaper, and my sons steak was so fatty he had trouble finding the meat!
The room was basic with a view of the dual carriageway and an industrial estate. There was nothing in it which I thought would set it apart from 2 or 3 star hotels.
The one and only positive thing I can say about the Clayton is that the staff were very friendly. However friendliness costs nothing and I could say the same about the staff of many budget hotels I have stayed in.
My wife brought me away for a two night 'relaxation' break which she booked because of its 4 star status. We cut our stay short due to our disappointment and left after the first night.
Don't get me wrong, if I were going to Galway on business say, I would stay in a place like this, but I would not classify it as a 4 star hotel and would struggle at 3 stars.
The rating needs to be reduced along with the prices, improve the quality of the food and market yourself as a good quality budget hotel and you will attract more customers.
However I for one will never be staying with you again unless I was desperate.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank FConlon
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear FConlon,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to our survey request after your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I greatly appreciate all the feedback I get from our guests as I believe it can help us become better at what we do. I’m sorry your stay wasn’t as enjoyable as it should have been. Obviously you were disappointed with many aspects of your stay and I would like to apologise for any frustration we caused you.
I’m grateful for each and every time someone decides to stay with us and thankfully comments like yours are very infrequent indeed.I believe we offer a good and consistent 4 star standard at a very reasonable price and I think the vast majority of our guests would agree with that but in this instance we let ourselves down.
I would appreciate the opportunity to show you we can and do regularly exceed our customers expectations but judging by the tone of your comments I don’t think we’ll see you back in the Clayton again. I did want to acknowledge your comments all the same as your opinion is important to me and I do think we can learn something from your experiences. Should you have any further comments or queries please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards

Rory Fitzpatrick

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Had a fabulous three day stay at Clayton Galway. Hotel is excellent as a base for exploring Galway City and the surrounding area. A car would be advisable, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel and the buses appeared to run very frequently. The hotel is quite new and all the amenities are excellent. Staff are great and very friendly, especially Clare down at the swimming pool and spa, she made my wife,who has difficulty with walking, very welcome and done everything possible to make her stay as pleasant as it was. We had breakfast and evening meals in the hotel and the food was really good with a wide choice on the menu. We will certainly be going back.

Room Tip: Only tip would be a car would be useful. If you can upgrade to a executive suite you would not be...
2  Thank AlwynAntrimN_Ireland
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Had a great experience in the Clayton, the staff were awesome and very helpful. We will definitely go back and well highly recommend it to any of our friends in American and Ireland. If your looking for a place with a good bad and staff who are willing to help out in any place.

1  Thank Justin O
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I booked two rooms here recently to attend a show in Galway and must say I really liked the hotel. It was good value for money with bed and breakfast 99 euros per room. I had booked quite late and was happy to stay here as most other hotels were booked out and were, in my opinion, quite expensive for one nights stay. I suppose that is my general opinion of Galway - nice place, hotels too expensive. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and when we asked for the two rooms to be together, the staff member upgraded our rooms to the executive rooms to accommodate us. I thought this was a nice gesture. Rooms were very comfortable, excellent beds as mentioned in other reviews. Bathroom had a nice waterfall style showers and separate bath also. Breakfast was buffet style and was very nice. I would say get down early for breakfast as there was a bit of a queue when we arrived down, but the staff seemed to be dealing with it well. Other reviewers have mentioned the bus service outside, which is very convenient, but we used taxis which were directly outside the door of hotel. It makes a nice change to deal with friendly taxi drivers instead of the gruff Dublin ones I usually meet. It was short journey into city centre. Overall a pleasant stay.
To address my one concern mentioned in the title, my friend and I went for a late drink in the hotel bar when we returned from the show. Both our wives had retired to the rooms. Everything was fine and we had a few drinks. Later I ordered two drinks and handed in a twenty euro note and received my change in return. I was about to put the change in my pocket when I checked it and noted that I had been short changed by 10 euro. While this may have been a genuine mistake, the moment I queried it, the barman immediately stated without checking my change "thats right you gave me a 20". Again it always seems that when something like this happens in any pub/hotel its late in the night when customers may have had a few drinks. As I say, it may have been a genuine mistake but I note another reviewer had a similar experience in the bar. This is general advice, for all places that you might visit in Ireland - always check your change, especially late at night.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2012

Dear Flynnerz,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay in the Clayton Hotel. I greatly appreciate it when our guests go to the trouble of giving us feedback as I believe that can help us become better at what we do. I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and I do hope that you will return at some point to sample more of what Galway has to offer.
In relation to the incident in the bar I feel you're being a little unfair perhaps? Whilst I can't argue with what you recounted I'm confident it was a genuine mistake, these things do happen in every cash business from time to time and I really don't believe there was any ill intent. That said I will bring this incident to the attention of the bar staff and I'm sure they will re-double their efforts to be more cautious and exact in their cash handling.

Kind regards