“Clayton Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Cork, Ireland
“Clayton Hotel”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Myself my mother and 17yr old daughter are just home from a wonderful two night stay in the Clayton. From the moment we went through the doors we were greeted with a very warm welcome, our room was very spacious and comfortable and had everything you could need. The bar was great and the food was excellent. Breakfast was fabulous and being able to sit back and read a paper with hot coffee and a good breakfast was just fantastic. We were able to get internet without needing to use the cable which was great. The staff were all very friendly and efficient. It has to be one of the cleanest hotels we've ever stayed in. My mom got a treatment done the beauty rooms and said it was really nice and the girl was lovely. Also great FREE parking something a lot of hotels are not giving.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Hebrew first
Ireland
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just arrived home from an overnight stay in The Clayton Hotel just outside Galway City. My friend and I had an excellent meal in The Tribes Restaurant in the hotel which we both agreed was one of the best meals we've had in a long time. The location of the hotel means you are lacking a nice view but it is extremely comfortable and the service and friendliness of the staff throughout the hotel made it a very enjoyable stay. Both of us would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here over the bank holiday week-end with my family. The hotel is 10 mins outside Galway in an industrial estate, but we were aware of that so no problem there. It is however, very much a corporate hotel, and was obviously built with business guests in mind. To be fair, the room was huge, 2 double beds and still loads of room - which made it one of the best family rooms we have stayed in.
There is no free Wi-Fi in the bedroom, only on the ground floor. Not good enough in today's market. The pool was very disappointing, basically just 3 lanes wide and tiny, with no proper reception area. The restaurant is not big enough to cater for the almost 200 bedrooms the hotel has, so on busy mid-term breaks you can forget about getting a table. We rang down at 2pm to try to book for 6pm with the kids, and were told it would be 9pm at the earliest that they could take us. Then we were offered to eat in the bar, which we did- surrounded by groups of men back from the races downing pints.
The staff in this hotel are excellent; all very friendly, especially Amanda in the bar who served us a few times over the 2 days and couldn't have been more pleasant or helpful.
Bar food itself was very hit and miss. Avoid the chicken burger and the carbonara, however the tiger prawns and Sunday roast beef were very good.
All in all a hotel that does it's best, with very good staff, and one I would use again - when they provide free Wi-Fi in the bedrooms; but I won't be bringing the kids back here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was really disappointed with my stay here.I booked a night with dinner and breakfast.i had my dinner booked for 8 that evening.arrived in the hotel that evening was greeted pleasently paid for my stay and after i had departed with my money she informs me that i was not having my dinner in the restaraunt but instead the bar.she informed me that my details had been taken incorrectly and the restaraunt was booked.it was just tough look..no apologies for their mess up!!!
the bar staff were lovely and very polite.it was very busy and load unable to have a proper conversation,it wasnt how i wanted to spend my night after driving 2 hours after a days work.I wont be returning here.!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The last hotel I reviewed, in the same city, had its location to brag about, the Clayton... not so much. Unless you want to be close to the motor way? That and a shopping centre. However, Galway city centre is only a €13 taxi ride away and the rooms, the food and the friendly staff more than make up for it!

The staff - on reception, in the bar, in the restaurant... even the cleaning staff were all great. Always smiling, always up for a chat and a laugh while still providing excellent service. The room was a great size and the balcony was a great touch despite the boring surroundings.

The bathroom had the most amazing mirror that would never fog up when you showered (best invention ever!!) and the bed was very, very comfortable. Airconditioning was discrete and quiet.

Weirdly enough the room was a bit of a hassle to work in though considering I think the hotel is mainly used by business travellers. The desk has bad lighting and there is no wireless internet in the rooms, only in the communal areas of the hotel. There is internet through an ethernet cable at your desk, but the cable is so short that you're stuck sitting in that dark corner, at your desk.

I was not disturbed by much noise out in the corridor or from outside, but the walls dividing the rooms must have been thin because I could hear the people next door and could even follow exactly what they were watching on their TV which was annoying. My colleague complained of the same thing and she was 5 or so rooms down the hall.

The layout of the hotel is confusing with lifts going to separate parts of the hotel and depending on your room number not all lifts go to your floor. It was a rather long trip to my room from reception and though it is understandable in such a large hotel more signs would have been good. It was very easy to confuse the way to go with the fire exit! People seemed constantly lost and confused. To find breakfast was a massive task for many and in the week spent there I escorted many lost guests there.

Speaking of breakfast it was rather bland. No vegetables and you had to specifically ask for skimmed milk for example. As usual in Ireland it was hard to find anything healthy. The bar was excellent for dinner though and the staff were very helpful and happy to accommodate any requests or dietary needs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We are just back from our stay at this lovely hotel.We have stayed here many times and we are always very happy with our stay.We always have food in the bar as we feel the quality of the food is excellent and the staff are so pleasant.The bedrooms are very clean and can not be faulted.We however would prefer a large dbl than a dbl and a single in the room-Rm 219.We did not ask to be changed as we do not like to make a fuss.Their is a great atmosphere to this hotel and they had a singer in the bar both nights which we enjoyed.Breakfast was okay-food is not great quality for breakfast which is strange considering their lunch is excellent.I would recommend this hotel for all ages.You need to have a car to stay at this hotel-their is plenty free parking and it is just across the road from a Dunnes stores and a Pharmacy if you forget your toothbrush.

Room Tip: If you want a double room ask at reception
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Galway
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Situated off the M6, it's an excellent location to use for clients and business meetings. I have stayed here also and the rooms are very comfortable. The food is excellent and they also have a very nice coffee dock area where you can sit and relax and read your emails or the daily newspaper.
I would recommend very highly if you are visiting Galway on business (as it is situated within very easy reach of Ballybritt and Parkmore Industrial estates where there there are thousands employed) and also if you are visiting for pleasure as it is convenient to Galway city and has a bus stop outside of the main entrance.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business