“Nice Hotel.... BUT... no where near city center area”

Clayton Hotel Galway
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Our room was fairly new, spacious and comfortable. The bathroom looked like it was recently re-done and was a good size. The lobby is a bit dated, but what can you do? The main turn-off is that the hotel is no-where near the main Galway city-center, Shop Street area (a cab ride costs about 12 Euro). Only stay at this hotel if you have access to a car. Also, the breakfast wasn't great, my omelet looked more like a cheese crusted pizza.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear FlyingHigh060,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay. I value and welcome all the feed back I get as I believe it can help us become better at what we do. I appreciate your comments regarding our bedrooms and your initial decision to stay here. Undeniably we are located out of the city centre on the main road network into Galway from the South and East but we are served regularly by the city bus service which stops right outside the hotel. From here it's just a 15-20 min ride into Eyre Square so all told our customers for the most part find our location convenient as they can avoid the traffic congestion in the city. I'll also share your comments about breakfast with the kitchen team and whilst this isn't typical of what we offer I know they will certainly work diligently to improve our standards.

Kind regards

Rory Fitzpatrick

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Galway

Reviewed October 1, 2012

The clayton well...very comfortable but I do not like where it is situated But a lot of people I think would love it! right across from KFC and a big shopping center and is only a short drive from the heart of the city!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2012

My husband & I stayed in the Clayton on 22nd Sept, We booked a room on the executive floor. The room was lovely, bathroom underfloor heating was just fab. We ate dinner in the hotel - nicest hotel dinner i've had in a long time. Can't say enough about the staff, all very friendly & helpful, a credit to the hotel.
Only downside was the shower, it looked very impressive, but the water was cold - I did mention it to reception & they apologised but I couldn't wait to go home to have a hot shower.

Room Tip: We book room on executive floor, which is on the 4th floor. Lower rooms may have less a/c noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We arrived late at night to a very warm welcome and were offered an upgrade. The room was spacious with a separate sitting area and fantastic bathroom.Everything was very clean and comfortable. The room was overlooking a courtyard so was very peaceful.There was a great selection at breakfast and my request for a decaf latte was met with 'no problem' and it was brought up from the coffee dock. Nothing was too much trouble. The staff we met were happy and friendly and certainly makes us want to go back soon again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have stayed at the Claytons twice in the past 2 years and it was really great with my family. Rooms are quiet and cosy with very courteous staff. Every meal we had all through our stay was a delight.

Room Tip: The general hotel views are not great but the south side have better views.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cyril O
Reviewed September 20, 2012

i didnt stay here but had lunch in the bar and it was inexcusably bad! i ordered the club sandwich for €8.70 which said with chips in the menu but mine had none, but apart from that the sandwich was inedible, i expected the bar man to ask me was it alright when he cleared my plate especially considering i left 3/4 of it behind ! when i opened the bread to see what was inside the bread had turned to mush and i was able to scrape the raw side of the bread from the toasted side it was so gross and off putting i mean a toasted sandwich should be a no brainer!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank jimmy l
Clayton-GM, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear jimmy l,

Thank you for your frank review of your lunch experience in the Clayton Hotel bar. I'm sorry to learn that your Club Sandwich wasn't to your satisfaction. This would be one of the more popular items on the menu and we serve a huge amount of them each and every day. I would have said before reading your comments that we never receive any adverse feed back about these but obviously in this case we let ourselves down. I have raised your points with the team in the kitchen and I expect this will prove to be a one-off and should you return again at some point in the future I'm confident you'll find a marked improvement.

Kind regards

Rory Fitzpatrick

Reviewed September 19, 2012

have stayed in this hotel 4 time in the last 5 years every stay but our last was brill!! hotel is just ut side the city nice a quite staff are very very helpful bed are to die for every thing but evening mels on our last stay were great!! under trained waiting staff in the resturant was the only let down ruined a dinner for us!! but mgt were very sorry and made up for it been a while since our last trip but can't wait to go back!! every thing your looking for a break!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple