“Outstanding”

Park House Restaurant
Ranked #62 of 466 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Long Beach, California
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Thirty years ago when my wife and I first traveled in Ireland as students there were no meals like this to be found. The food game in the country has been stepped up significantly, likely owing to the obvious reliance on tourism within the Irish economy. You can't give tourists crappy food at every turn and expect good reviews. Well, the most sophisticated meal we had on our recent trip to Ireland was at the restaurant in the Park House Hotel in Galway. As we were checking in around lunchtime the smells from the restaurant and bar were floating around the lobby, and they were heavenly. Go ahead, trust your own instincts and walk into that lobby around 1PM, see what you think. The hotel is right off the main square near the bus and train stations. Bad food doesn't smell like that. After a little discussion with the guy checking us in about proper preparation of lamb, combined with a quick glance at the menu, we decided to have dinner at the hotel's restaurant. The service in the restaurant is quite good, but not suffocating. The menu is varied with meats, seafood, even a vegetarian dish or two. On the advice of the front desk, and not being the biggest fan of lamb but being here and wanting to sample the famous Connemara lamb, I ordered the lamb chops medium-rare. I'm no expert in lamb chops, but I was given very strong advice to order them "under medium," essentially as rare as you can take it, because the lamb will continue to cook up a notch after leaving the fire, and if they reach medium they are wrecked. So, I took that advice and even told the waitress to be sure they were pink when they made it to me. They were. As our three dishes arrived at the serving table next to our dinner table, not knowing this was our food, my wife (a lover or rare meat) said covetously, "Wow, someone has some beautiful rare meat coming." That was me. And man-oh-man were those chops ever perfect. Tender, round chops clung to each bone. Seasoned and cooked spot on. My wife and daughter, neither of whom ever eat lamb (baby animal and such), were drooling over that meat and snagging little chunks of it. The mint sauce, not jelly but sauce, was out of this world. The lamb didn't need it, but when applied the meat was taken to 11. Sometimes, rarely, but sometimes you eat something that tastes unlike anything you have ever had (in a good way!). That mint sauce was it. Slightly spicy, slightly sweet, a little runny, the mint leaves fresh and mashed. I don't know how they did it, but it was nirvana. My daughter had a perfectly cooked wild salmon filet with a delicate creamy lightly citrusy lemon sauce. If my lamb wasn't so otherworldly I would say her meal was tops. But as it was the salmon finished second. My wife had the duck breast, which, though really good, came to the table at about medium, which is too far for duck breast. It had barely reached that stage so it wasn't tough, but she is a fan of seared-outside-rich-pink-inside duck breast. I believe she ordered it medium rare. Probably should have made clear that the duck needed to have pink running through it. The one little hiccup. But the duck meat and sauce nevertheless tasted delicious. There were other things, potatoes, vegetables, bread. But those were the standouts. My advice: Get the lamb and be absolutely certain you make clear that it must come to the table pink. If you order it medium you are making a mistake. And then be prepared for a spectacular dining experience. The total with wine was 90-100 Euro. (We also had breakfast there in the morning. Outstanding as well. Try the oatmeal porridge.)

Limerick, Ireland
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

Wonderful dinner in grand comfortable setting. Excellent choice, but on the advice of my
host I chose the Sole off the Bone. It was fantastic! I love fish,but this was so fresh, beautifully cooked and presented, with a wonderful sauce, I could only rave about it. I had Mediterranean veg. & some new potatoes on the side. I was persuaded to have a dessert - fresh raspberries & meringue with ice cream. The only complaint I had was that the coffee was served with the
dessert. This seems to be the norm nowadays, but as it was cold when I got to it, it was quickly replaced with a hot cup. Altogether a night to remember!

1 Thank Ita C
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Amazing food.
Amazing staff.

Every course was fabulous!

Maria the waitress is top class. Really made us welcome.

You will not come out hungry!

“Pathetic”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

The chef used mashed potato as a glue to secure a lobster shell and bowl of dipping sauce to the plate. This is very strange and speaks to the kitchens general ineptitude.

The lamb I ordered medium came well done; I asked if this was what they intended to serve, and they claimed it was cooked medium even though the meat was not at all pink. They did offer to re cook it but I declined since my wife already had her plate of greasy soggy scampi in front of her. (We didn't finish the scampi either.) They did not however even offer a discount or free desert to make up for this.

Also, the waitress was not very pleasant. Condescending and cold.

Overall this restaurant is grossly overpriced, and as a well travelled diner, I can assure you that you will find much better food, and the same plates, for far less st most pubs in Ireland.

Don't make the mistake we did! Eat elsewhere!

2 Thank YumYumYum2013
florida
“Gourmet All The Way!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

I was totally blown over when I ate here, and then learned that this was a restaurant before it was a hotel. The chef was very inventive and every request was filled beyond expections. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited June 2013