“Fish and Chips”

Ranked #34 of 495 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Mc Donagh's have been tantalising the taste buds of both Visitor and Local for four generations. The Family knowledge of Fish and dedication to their customers has earned them the reputation of being one of Ireland's best Seafood's Houses. Mc Donagh's is divided into two sections: In the Seafood Restaurant you will find a great variety of fish dishes on our menu. From native Clarenbridge Oysters, Salmon, Crab, Scallops,Prawns, Hake, Lemon Sole, Plaice, Haddock, Wild Mussels and Ray. Smoked Salmon from Connemara and whatever else the Fisherman can get his hands on. A new addition to our menu is Irish Rib Eye Steak from Mc Geough's Butchers Oughterard Co. Galway. In our Fish & Chips Bar the fish is cooked to order, and you are guaranteed the freshest of Chips, as our potatoes are peeled and cut on the premises. Our Fish & Chips can be eaten on the premises or taken away, we also have outside seating during the summer months.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Good comfort food: fat, homemade chips and fish. Delicious when the weather is cold.....which let's face it is very often the case in Galway. The only problem is is that you will go back for more. Not good for the diet. They have big long benches so if you like talking to random strangers, which is one of the nice things about Galway, it is a great place to do it!

Write a ReviewReviews (2,369)

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I hadnt eaten in this restaurant in 14 years, so it was a real treat to go back. We had cod and chips in the take away section, it was just as i had remembered 'delicious'. It was busy, full of all sorts from students, tourists to business people.
The staff wouldnt kill you with smiles or friendliness but the food is very good indeed.
I wont leave it as long the next time.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I'm a tour guide in Vancouver, Canada. Today I had a young girl on my tour from Galway, Ireland a city which I visited in 2000. I told here we stayed in the old town across the street from the best Fish&Chip shop I'd ever been too. She instantly said McDonaughs and I said "Bingo!" I looked them up on line and yes it's the same place. Well thirteen years later and a couple of tons of F&C later I've never found better. As I remember that batter was almost like Tempura and nice North Atlantic Cod, which I still say is the best for F&C although Pacific Cod, and Halibut isn't too shabby either. I'm told the service is still first rate.

1  Thank canuckdillon
Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you are a plain old fish and chip fan this restaurant is your heaven as it serves excellent fish and chips at affordable prices and the food the serve in here is to die for

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Nice fish and chips and plenty of it! Fish was fresh and the batter not too greasy. Chips were hand cut and dish was accompanied by mushy peas, tartare sauce, lemon wedge and a little salad. Cost was about 13 euro.