“A long ago memory brought back!”
Review of McDonagh's

McDonagh's
Ranked #36 of 470 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Description: Mc Donagh's have been tantalising the taste buds of both Visitor and Local for four generations. The Family knowledge of Fish and dedication to their customers has earned them the reputation of being one of Ireland's best Seafood's Houses. Mc Donagh's is divided into two sections: In the Seafood Restaurant you will find a great variety of fish dishes on our menu. From native Clarenbridge Oysters, Salmon, Crab, Scallops,Prawns, Hake, Lemon Sole, Plaice, Haddock, Wild Mussels and Ray. Smoked Salmon from Connemara and whatever else the Fisherman can get his hands on. A new addition to our menu is Irish Rib Eye Steak from Mc Geough's Butchers Oughterard Co. Galway. In our Fish & Chips Bar the fish is cooked to order, and you are guaranteed the freshest of Chips, as our potatoes are peeled and cut on the premises. Our Fish & Chips can be eaten on the premises or taken away, we also have outside seating during the summer months.
Vancouver, Canada
“A long ago memory brought back!”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I'm a tour guide in Vancouver, Canada. Today I had a young girl on my tour from Galway, Ireland a city which I visited in 2000. I told here we stayed in the old town across the street from the best Fish&Chip shop I'd ever been too. She instantly said McDonaughs and I said "Bingo!" I looked them up on line and yes it's the same place. Well thirteen years later and a couple of tons of F&C later I've never found better. As I remember that batter was almost like Tempura and nice North Atlantic Cod, which I still say is the best for F&C although Pacific Cod, and Halibut isn't too shabby either. I'm told the service is still first rate.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank canuckdillon

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Athlone, Ireland
“The Creme De La Creme For Fish”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you are a plain old fish and chip fan this restaurant is your heaven as it serves excellent fish and chips at affordable prices and the food the serve in here is to die for

Visited August 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Good place to eat”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Nice fish and chips and plenty of it! Fish was fresh and the batter not too greasy. Chips were hand cut and dish was accompanied by mushy peas, tartare sauce, lemon wedge and a little salad. Cost was about 13 euro.

Visited March 2013
Ireland
“Great Plaice : )”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I visited Mc Donaghs yesterday with two small children (4, 2). It was very busy and there was a lovely atmosphere. I was served by one girl who couldn’t have been nicer and pre-empted any needs I had e.g. I ordered 2 meals and she brought a spare plate and cutlery so I could divide the 2nd meal between the children. Thought it was very reasonably priced breast of chicken, chips and a drink was €5.49 I think. Proper homemade chips. Very tasty food all round and freshly caught fish. Would definitely return. Can’t vouch for the rest of the staff but the girl that served me was excellent.

• Visited March 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Great friendly service. Good fish”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

There are no airs and graces about this place. It's focus is fish which it does well. What I like most about this place is that it lets the flavour of the fish do the talking, by not over seasoning or cooking it too much. The side dishes are simple.