“Fabulous!”

Restaurant Gemelles
Ranked #82 of 507 Restaurants in Galway
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Gemelle's Restauarant is a family run restauarant situated on Quay Street, in the heart of Galway's Latin Quarter. Serving food 7 days a week, both lunch and dinner, Gemelle's restaurant is a must. Serving a mix of European styled cuisines Gemelle's is a great dining experience, that doesn't put stress on your pocket either.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went to this restaurant some days ago with my husband for a romantic meal before drinks. We did not have a reservation but were seated non-the-less. Contrary to previous reviews, we found the staff there to be very polite and friendly right from the start. The restaurant itself is very cosy with candles lit in every corner and on tables, really sets the ambiance. We ordered the two course special for 20E each and the E16 bottle of house wine. We were not disappointed. We ordered the fish cakes and galway bay mussels for starters which was delicious, very well prepared and presented. For main courses we had the salmon and lamb shanks, both of which were particularly tasty. The French Savignon Blanc was okay, but for the price I certainly was not complaining. The nicest touch I saw was outside (where we went to finish our wine) where there were fleece blankets folded on each chair for use if you felt cold. A very lovely gesture I felt. Overall well done Gemelles! We most certainly will be back and thank you for a lovely evening.

One last thing - I noticed a sign informing customers that each of the staff dedicate a precentage of their tips to "CROI" - a local area critical care organisation. Furthermore no service charges are applied and this I feel really is worth mentioning. WELL DONE AGAIN!

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Good location but pathetic choice of drinks ( only draught beer Peroni's) and food badly cooked.you'll be better off at one. Of the nearby pubs.

1  Thank Jumble15
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The place looks very nice - and so we decided to have our dinner there. What a mistake! I would say most guest in that Restaurant were tourists and probably thought the same.
The water we got was the first time since we are in Ireland that was not a fresh taste but chemical. So we gave it back and asked for a bottle of sparkling water. We selected two different menues: Once a dish from the daily offer and once the beef fajitas. The veal dish from the daily offer was such bad meat, that my collegue was not able to eat half of it. The beef for the fajitas was not any better. At least my collegue who complained did not have to pay for her dish. Looking around in the Restaurant we saw that a lot of meat was given back ...
Only having a nice Restaurant won't work out at the end if the quality is not good! We left the place hungry, very disappointed and unhappy!

1  Thank Mimmeli
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Ate in gemelles last night and am very unhappy with how we were treated. It was late in the evening but if they did not want to serve us they shold have said they were closed. We were seated and given menus and told that one of the starters and two of the mains were off, no problem, like I said it was late. When the waitress came to take our order and I tried to order a starter she said the starters are off. All of them. So basically they were refusing to serve us starters because it was late. There was nothing wrong with the food other than my duck breast was a little underdone but if they weren't going to treat us in the same way they would the first customers in the door than they shouldn't have seated us. Also the Irish coffee we were served was ridiculously hot, as in too hot to even pick after it was sitting there while we had dessert, couldn't possibly drink it. And they tried to overcharge us. Have eaten here before but will never go back now.

2  Thank Margaret T O
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were (two of us) looking for a different restaurant on the top of the list, but without reservation we were left looking for something else.Then we found this nice restaurant, with nice athmosphere - even better than 4 different we have visited earlier. Very fiendly staff, they have our favourite Peroni beer and the tuna steak was incredibly delicious. We were very pleased.