“Wonderful food!”

Restaurant Gemelles
Ranked #81 of 509 Restaurants in Galway
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Gemelle's Restauarant is a family run restauarant situated on Quay Street, in the heart of Galway's Latin Quarter. Serving food 7 days a week, both lunch and dinner, Gemelle's restaurant is a must. Serving a mix of European styled cuisines Gemelle's is a great dining experience, that doesn't put stress on your pocket either.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

It is a small obviously very popular restaurant! Definitely get the steamed clams starter! All of our meals were excellent.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I were in Galway on Saturday evening and decided to try Gemelles as we hadn't been there before. As we walked in the door we were greeted by an extremely rude lady who told us we would have an hour to eat our meals. I replied no thanks and she pointed at a table and said " take that one " reluctantly we sat down. Big mistake as the food was mediocre and there was no atmosphere. The only saving grace was a very pleasant young waitress who was very attentive. Galway has plenty of really good restaurants, this ain't one of them!

1  Thank Senzers
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Dined here recently and to say we were disappointed would be an understatement!!
While the food was good, the service was appalling.
The waiters were rude and unfriendly; they were abrupt and almost sneering when we asked questions and in general were very unpleasant.
I will not frequent this restaurant again - which is a pity as the food is tasty.

1  Thank fivestarzjess
Reviewed February 13, 2013

A friend and I ate here last monday night. The Maitre D' was unbelievably rude and abrupt. We were very taken aback when she simply ordered us to a table. The menus were coldly dumped on our table and we had barely 5 minutes before asking if we were ready to order. The food was decent and another waitress, a new foreign girl, was much friendlier. We felt the whole meal was rushed and all throughout we could here the Maitre D; ordering that poor young girl around in an aggressive tone and slamming cutlery behind the bar. To make matters worse, she got our bill wrong. I ordered a fajita main at €15 and my friend availed of a deal for starter and main special at €20 and I had a beer for €5. normally I wouldn't complain but She charged us for two specials and a beer and the total came to €45... when i pointed this out, instead of discounting my meal she charged us for a main fajita and starter at €20 and a steak at €19.... reducing the bill by only €1 when it should have been by 5 ... delivered with a scowl too i might add. we were so embarressed by this having already asked for an amendment.... So I just paid and left. It would be such a nice restaurant without that lady running it, I will never go back nor recommend to anyone. We were absolutely furious at this service and I can see from previous reviews that We're not the only ones... Be Warned!!!!

1  Thank robertmcf
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Table for 2 near toilets ..not a good start... was given speicals on a chalk board which was all smudged and could not read... Food arrive in a timly fasion... Have to say I choose the special which was the pollock. very nice indeed... we ordered the house wine in a pichet as we usually order a bottle and end up leaving half of it behind...mistake.. house wine was terrible..! We asked what the wine actually was, the waitress said a sauvugnon blanc... which is of course a grape not a wine..so we re-ordered and I asked for the bottle of the Chablis...the waitress smelt the wine to see if it was " gone off" which i thought was strange.. then the fun strarted..another waiter arrived with a bottle of macon villages.. i said i ordered a chablis.. then he went away and came back again we the same bottle and said..this is better than chablis .. this i thought was hilarious.. macon is from macon, chablis is from Bourgogne! anyway we took it and was nice though not a chablis!
Waited ages to be served for desert .. trying to catch attention of waiter.. then after getting bill, included the house wine we had sent back...
Anyway overall... food really great and credit to chef, service all over the place and a little training on the wine front would help alot i.e. the difference between a grape and wine!