“Hidden gem”

Ranked #9 of 474 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: One of Galway's most enduring restaurants, housed in one of the city's most iconic restaurant spaces, Ard Bia has always placed as much emphasis on community experiences and aesthetic stimulation as on serving great food in a fun environment. We believe in having roots in a place whilst having an identity that transcends location and takes inspiration from around the world.
Landenberg, Pennsylvania
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Outstanding intimate restaurant near the Spanish Arch in Galway. Incredible eclectic menu with outstanding seafood, and unique offerings. Great service and attention to detail in a quiet , intimate restaurant.

• Visited March 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Wonderful food and wine”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We dropped into this little hideaway restaurant only to be offered the most delightful array of wines and fine food - we stayed in the Herons Rest Boutique B&B close by and we really delighted with everything on offer , no complaints - definitely will return

Visited April 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Interesting restaurant in a great location”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Knowing that we were going to be stopping in Galway as part of a tour of Ireland, I made a reservation for 4 at Nimmo's based on the reviews on TA before leaving on the trip. And once again, the reviews were right on the money. We arrived at 6:00 PM on a Thursday and was given a choice of tables. We chose the four top closest to the kitchen. I had the pork cheek starter, which was more like an unsealed ravioli. This could have done with a bit more flavor as it was on the bland side. The star was the main of cod, with potatoes, pea puree and pancetta. The fish was done perfectly and was successfully complemented by the other ingredients. We shared dessert, with an order of the chocolate and olive oil mousse and an order of berries and marscapone.

Probably one of the biggest draws for me was the atmosphere. I liked the "everything but the kitchen sink" decor. It shows the eclectic taste, which I think is reflected in the menu. The service was reasonable although became a bit less attentive as the dining room filled up. And it was a good thing I had made a reservation. The next day I mentioned to our tour director that we had visited the restaurant. She had also attempted to dine there but was unable to get a table. Plan ahead if you will be eating later in the evening.

• Visited March 2014
Dublin, Ireland
“Nice food, but less hype and larger portions would help.”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Booked here having browsed through the cookbook in a book shop. I really liked the style and tone of the book and thought the resturant would be worth a try. Atomosphere was nice, mellow soulful house music in the background and I was intrigued by the menu. Had 3 courses from the evening menu. Starter portion of langoustine salad a little on the small side but very lovely. My partner had the pulled pork pasta which was reportedly delicious. For mains my partner had the steak, striploin which I find can be hit a miss as it can tend to be fatty or gristley as was the case here. I went for the monkfish which had the smallest two pieces of monkfish I've ever seen served in a resturant and mussels in a lightly spiced turmeric broth with potatoes and a couple of sugar snap peas. It tasted nice but wasn't very substantial and was over priced in my view. For dessert I had the rhubarb fool and partner had choc fondant pudding. Both were well thought out, executed and presented and we really enjoyed them. The seating was really uncomfortable though and over all it wasn't a place I would ever visit again for an evening meal. I felt I had experienced an over priced eatery. I think it strives to achieve something that it either fails to achieve or once did but doesn't anymore. I would say a few small changes to seating and portion size and it would be spot on.

• Visited April 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Fab food”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I loved this place as soon as I walked in. Atmosphere was great and the staff were ever so friendly and helpful; giving us tips for our onward journey. We didn't need to have a full three course meal and opted for a starter each with some extra greens and indulging on the pudding. The mussels in cherzio, harrissa and corriander were delicious and I had plenty of room for the chocolate and olive oil mousse with seasalt ice cream. OMG was it good.

• Visited April 2014